Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

stand alone WOB standards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stand alone WOB standards
    Posted: 6/07/06 at 4:37pm

I am running a games  in July and we found out that we cannot use any spikes at all on the field.. 

I am most concerned about WOB..  do you have any ideas of a set up that can go up to 19' that could be built in a short amount of time???

Any ideas would be great, thanks!!!

weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/06 at 4:51am

So they won't let you put in stakes, but they'll yet you cover the area in impact craters?  Do they know what the games are gonna do to their landscape?  Or is it more an issue they don't want stakes inadvertantly left in the field?

But on the constructive side of things, you could try doing the tires-filled-with-concrete thing.  I'd imagine old pickup tires would have a sufficient diameter to provide stability.

Edited by weaselking
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/06 at 12:18pm

THey have had games there in the past but we had some other standards that the guys can throw over..  and I agree with you we can throw the 56s and make craters , but they are concerned about the sprinkler lines i guess..   anyway that is a great idea and it wont be to bad to have to move..

thanks!!!

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/06 at 12:50pm
You could have the concrete-filled tire flip as an event.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/06 at 3:42am
Ahhhh.  I never considered the possibility of underground obstacles.  I s'pose I'd be concerned about spikes and my sprinkler lines too.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/06 at 4:04pm
I called the old stand by of great ideas(and maybe a bit on insanity) RUss Murphy..   As I was concerned as we drive about 150 miles to these games and the cost of gas what it is that taking 200 lbs of cement was not the best idea..  anyway, Russ suggested using large trash cans(50 gallon) using them as the anchor and then filling them with water so they could be put into place easy filled(about 400lbs) and then drained to put back..   so far this sounds like a pretty good idea...   what do you guys think??
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/06 at 4:21pm
Well, the weight up high of a full trash can wouldn't really help its stability:  it's the weight toward the bottom that would be doing the most good.   My wife has a galvanized trough that's about 30" in diameter and about 15" tall that she uses in her gardening, and it would be a good shape for this.  I presume you could find something similar at a farm supply store.

The trick would be figuring out how to anchor the uprights in it (cue Russ Murphy).

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/06 at 10:17am

use two cars, golf carts, equipment trailer, .... and tie the uprights to them.  Use longer ropes so you can move the anchors further out OR do I dare say "ban the spin"  so whatever you use for an anchor does not get smacked.

55 galloon steel drum  + water = about 440 pounds or fill full of something heavier and have a front end loader place the barrels.

Edited by McSanta
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/06 at 11:08am
Back in the 'day', Enumclaw used 'stand alone' uprights. The bases were designed to have a slot in which to insert the actual uprights and we'd just put weights in the base to keep them standing.  Occasionally, one would get knocked over but, badda bing, we'd just stand it back up!

Ask Murphy about them, he's thrown many a weight over them!  A lot simpler than dealing with guy wires and you only require weight in two places.

Wally O
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
Marbry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marbry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/06 at 8:58am
Originally posted by McSanta McSanta wrote:

use two cars, golf carts, equipment trailer, .... and tie the uprights to them.  Use longer ropes so you can move the anchors further out OR do I dare say "ban the spin"  so whatever you use for an anchor does not get smacked.

55 galloon steel drum  + water = about 440 pounds or fill full of something heavier and have a front end loader place the barrels.

Some folks manage to tear stuff up even from the stand.  I certainly wouldn't use my car for that.

If you can get with them and get the plans for the sprinkler system, you might be able to find an area off to the side out of danger.  Or perhaps an area off the main field entirely?

If you could get a couple of large used (6' dia) concrete manhole sections (or pipe sections) you could just put bolts into the side of them to anchor to.  They should provide plenty of weight to anchor it as well.  The smaller ones you might could fill with sand to help stabilize it.

'They said they'd never seen that kind of power and endurance. My picture is still up above the buffet.'
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:43pm
Thanks for all the great ideas, I am going to run them past the grounds keepers and see waht sticks, I will let you know...
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/06 at 12:23pm

Just an FYI,,,   I used 2 plastic  55 gallon barrells..  we used a piece of strut cut to the height of the barrell.. then bound a piece of pvc just larger than our WOB standard pipe and slid it in..  bound it with a strapping band in 3 places each side..   filled it a quarter of the way with water then got them off the truck bed and used 5 gallon buckets to fill it to half way..   it held up great..  hardest part was rolling it off the dirt infield to the grass to dump..

but if you have a tight spot and cant use nails it is not a bad way to do it..  the other cool thing we are going to do is make the barrell look like kegs to advertise for our Sponsor Kilt Lifter Beer..

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic