FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Words from a Pro...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/07/06 at 6:54pm

I also wanted to post a quick note of thanks to those of you who included me in your memories.  I have often talked with other Athletes that the great legacy we can leave is that others would consider us as important enough to chat about when reminiscing about great Highland Times. 

Also, for those wondering where I am, I had reconstructive elbow surgery in Dec. 05 (I have not had full mobility in the elbow for 8 years, and I do now) and it will take some time to recover enough to train very heavily.  It is progressing well and it is my hope to return to competition in 07.

...Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man...

Eccl. 12:13
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/06 at 8:32am

1991 or 2 i was only one year removed as yhe am. world armwrest. champ so i'm still sporting 19\20" guns and of course i've got my sleeves rolled up for all to see.

the big chief[whom i had only known for a few games,thanks phil] walks by me before the first event and says ,if you got em' show em' off. so the sleeves go up another couple of rolls.

at the end of the day where i had finished no better than 5th in any event and took next to last in the overall here comes the big chief puts his arm around me and says but there not going to help you out here!!!!!!!!! dont roll em' up no more thanks chief you've been a mentor and i'm proud to say good friend .

Jason Pauli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Pauli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/06 at 10:43am

I was giving this post a lot of thought since Dave posted it and even talked to my Dad about it a few days ago.  I think my perspective on it may be different from most because of how I was brought into all this.  Kurt's may be the same sinc we're brothers and came into it the same way.  The only ones that I can think of that may have a view like mine may be a few of the Scots.

I've been involved in the Heavy Events for 29 years now.  That's longer than a lot of guys involved have even been alive.  Little Jim Pauli went to Ligonier in '76 thinking it was a track meet and ran into some track buddies.  He ended up hanging out and tried throwing their crazy stuff and the rest, as the saying goes, "is history."

My earliest memories of the games are running around with Kurt trying to find ways to entertain ourselves.  I remember thinking those tin whistles were the coolest and bought a ton but never learned to play it.  When we got old enough we might shag weights and help until we got too lazy.  Then we started traveling with Dad to keep him company and have some time with him.  I remember driving to Fair Hill with him and we stayed at Ed McComas' house.  That's when I first saw Byron Lamont throw the weight over the bar by... well I don't want this thread to get hijacked!

What strikes me about this thread is how guys looked up to the greats.  I can't blame them.  For me it was different.  The greats were friends of my Mom and Dad and thus friends of mine.  Ed McComas, Mike Reid, Fred Vaughn, Ron Short, Keith Tice, Dan Markovic, Harvey Barkaskaus, Ken Fisher, Pete Hoyt, Tom Carmichael, Larry Satchwell, George McAulay, Allardice, Ken Starnes and on and on.  They were all great throwers but since I wasn't a heavy they were my friends because they were my parents' friends.  Today the two guys I've always regretted having never thrown with are Alistair and Francis.  Sure I'd have loved to seen them in action.  But I wish I could have gotten to hang out with them because my Mom and Dad always talk about how cool they are.

I think that stuck with me.  Even now I love seeing guys throw but I enjoy talking with them even more.  Now that I'm on the other side and helping run events, I still like going because I get to see my friends.

~Jason

Edited by Jason Pauli
Team Pauli - You never walk alone
Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/06 at 3:37pm
WOW.. kurt ate his wheaties while growing up..

Edited by Snider
Louis Cypher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Cypher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 5:34am

I was reading Milo and on the Back cover there was a small advert about the highland games. With Ryan's Number on it, not knowing it was a home number I called it. His wife answered the phone and said she would go get him(most likely he was training). He got on the phone and I introduced myself and we must have talked about a good half hour and gave me a list of contacts to call to get started. I don't know if I would have pursued the games had I not made that contact. I would not have met my wife and got married or had become a father to my 8month old boy. Funny how something as simple as a phone call can make such a big difference in your life. Thanks Dave for providing me an avenue to properly thank Ryan and Dr. Strossen. Who knows what an where I would be, my memories surely would not be as important to me as they are now, nor would I have the friendships that I have either.

I'm the only hell (Mama ever Raised). George Jones & Johnny Paycheck
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 3:16am
another interetsing note back in 98 while trying to gte into the games I tore my dital bicep tendon at work.this would put me out of the98 season and bummed me out-I happened to find out about two awesome athletes who had torn their bicep tenon and had recovered..I hunted these guys down and spent hours talking to them on the phone dissecting each piece of advice-both were from opposite ends of the country-but there insight as well as encouragement-meant a lot to a newb who had yet to put a kilt on and throw in a comp-the two class acts Mr Al Meyers,and Mr Eric Suave-two fine gentleman
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 4:03am
When I did the Fergus school Warren Trask said to me "Do you know why you have 10,000 people at 5K races? Because 10,000 people in that town can do it.  Do you know why you only have 10 to 20 people throwing in a Heavy Events...?  If you finished 15'th out of those 10,000 you'd be pretty happy, so don't ever feel bad about finishing 15th at a Heavy Events."
StevePulcinella View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevePulcinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 4:14am

Jason wrote: "Today the two guys I've always regretted having never thrown with are Alistair and Francis.  Sure I'd have loved to seen them in action.  But I wish I could have gotten to hang out with them because my Mom and Dad always talk about how cool they are."

Hey Jason...I have thrown with Alistair...he ain't that cool!

Jason Pauli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Pauli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 8:39am

Steve,

I'm sowwy I huwt your wittle feewings...

You're the COOLEST!

~Jason

Team Pauli - You never walk alone
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 3:43pm

Steve is such a sensitive little man isn't he?  I agree with you Jason.  Just relax Stevie!

Barron is gay!

Donate lately?
Ali.G View Drop Down
World Champ - ’95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/14 at 3:51pm
HAHA  just read these posts when I came across it googling Ken Starnes , I had a few giggles reading it especially the Crusher one, maybe this is what people should be posting on this board again everyone needs a good laugh.
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/14 at 5:32pm
Great reading this stuff and ironic that you posted it...one of my first memorable pro interactions was when I was transitioning from mediocre A class thrower to judge. I showed up at Santa Rosa in the early 90's thinking I was there to help officiate when I was told that I would be the pro judge as there was a money dispute between Stan Russell and the CCSF. It went pretty well until the caber which turned out to be a shootout stick with a ton of 12's and near 12's. Word got back to me around round 3 that Ali Gunn wanted to kick my ass in the parking lot...he thought I was giving Jim McGoldrick easy 12's. Fast forward 15 years and he still was giving me sh*t about my caber judging haha.
Ali.G View Drop Down
World Champ - ’95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 2:52am
Haha Stevie your exaggerating a bit now. 
Roland D. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 12:14pm
I remember learning of my Scottish ancestry and going to all of the Scottish festivls that I could. At the Michigan Renaissance Festival I met Frank "The Buffalo" Stasa. I was coming off of a pretty severe back injuy (3 ruptured and 4 bulging discs from a head-on collision). I made the mistake of telling Frank, "Some day I might like to try this." His response, "Why don't you? Get a rock and a stick and start practicing." So I did! The stone was decent, but the "stick" was only about 16' long and maybe 50 pounds. The following May at Alma, I told Frank that I took his advice. He asked, "What advice was that?" I said, "I have been practicing with a stick and a stone." He asked how old I was (I was 41 or 42 at the time). It was then that I learned that the Michigan Renaissance Festival was the same weekend as the Sarnia Games, and Frank didn't have enough athletes for the Ren Fest. It was a masters comp, and I was in! I was also so scared I almost threw-up the morning of the comp. Thanks for giving me a start Frank!
     Then at the Renaissance fest I met and took the field with Harvey "Zeus" Barkauskas! He was very helpful. Not long after that I received a phone call from Harvey. He told me about the Chatham Ontario games, and invited me to stay at his house the night before. PINCH ME!!!! I actually won the caber that year (and the folowing year - but who is counting). Harvey called me over to the side and said, "You can win this. Just pull straight up through your nose." I did, and he was right. I won. Thanks Harvey.
     Then at Chatham I met Mark Valenti. He was full of encouragement to an old guy just starting out. The following year I found out that his hotel reservation for Chatham had been messed up, and I was told that he asked if he might stay with me in my room. The AD at Chatham said that Mark said I was a nice guy. Well Mark, too bad it didn't happen. I may have rubbed off on you! I remember getting Mark a Jimmy Buffet CD, and how grateful he was. I didn't think it was that big of a deal and was sure that he already had it, but I was glad that I got it. And Mark, thanks for tolerating my Italian jokes.
     I have had the honor to meet Craig Smith more times than I can remember (who secretly was always my favorite pro at Alma - but don't tell him). Also a class act. At the Detroit Games he complimented me on the sword that I won for taking 1st in the masters earlier in the year, but wasn't delivered until the Detroit games. "Man, that's sweet!" he said. A few words from a pro that meant a lot.
     Also have met KO (Kerry Overfelt) MANY times. Nice guy, always a kind word - but KO, you don't have to call me "Sir!" (He's probably thinking, "Who is this guy?"). Oh, I was the guy holding the dumb end of the tape at the Ren Fest a few years ago - you know - the guy standing about 50 feet away and you still almost hit me with the 56? Yea - that guy. Still love your socks.
     I blew out my lower back in 2009, and was thinking I would not be able to throw again. Chris Chafin gave me some great advice about core strength. You were right Chris, and I did make it back. Thanks.
     To a new Pro, I still have to apologize. John Pilling. I told you last year (or the year before that) that when you look at me, you re seeing yourself 30 years from now. You were gracious, and I still have all of my teeth. One of the nicest guys out there. All the best!
     I was honored to meet Dan McKim 2 or 3 years ago too. Man that dude is huge! We talked for a few minutes. Dan might remember me as the pastor in Michigan and the honorary Chaplain of the Brotherhood of Michigan Throwers. Dan also had some very kind words. Thanks for taking a minute to talk with me. Blessings to you!!
     And last but not least, all of the kind words about Chris Rusher are all true. I remember coming to you in Ohio with a phone book in my hands and ripping the thing in 2 right before you. OK, it wasn't a FULL size Detroit Metro phone book, but it WAS  decent size. Your response? "Great! When you can rip more than a restaurant menu, give me a call." Listen, if you have never been to a Chinese Buffet with Crush and his buddies Mammoth and Juice, it is an amazing experience! I promise never again to call you when I am trying to call the crematory. (Well, Crush and Crematory are right next to each other in my address book). What a blessing you have been and continue to be. Thank you.
     I apologize for the long list, but I have met so many wonderful people in HG. There are several more pro's that I have met, but didn't really interact much with, Kurt Pauli for one. However, I know that by and large, you are all wonderful people as well as being athletes outstanding in your field...literally!

Could you make that throw when it matters...as it matters in battle? Could you crush a man with that throw?
bigfrazier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfrazier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/14 at 12:23am
I started going to the Highland games in Enumclaw when I was entering my teen years never did get to watch much of the athletics. The first time I remember watching the throwing and just being captivated would have been around 93 or 94 and I saw sheaf for the first time. I couldn't tell you who was throwing just seeing the bag go up so high 2 guys were throwing so high that they were setting the sheaf standards up on things to get them tall enough to continue the competition. It's no surprise toe that sheaf is my favorite event.
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/14 at 7:44pm
Quote The first time I remember watching the throwing and just being captivated would have been around 93 or 94 and I saw sheaf for the first time.  That would have been in 1990.

I couldn't tell you who was throwing just seeing the bag go up so high 2 guys were throwing so high that they were setting the sheaf standards up on things to get them tall enough to continue the competition.  Those guys were Ed Stevens, 48, of PA and Lew Ross, 51, of BC.  We didn't know at the time that they were both setting what was apparently Masters World records in their age groups!

It's no surprise toe that sheaf is my favorite event.  And now you're holder of the Men's A World record!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Trainerterry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trainerterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 10:02pm
Our highland games fan base was bear lovers, Nazi skin heads and drunken middle aged women. We were no rock stars. - Steve Pulcinella on facebook recently
"A man has to know his limitations" - Detective Harold Callahan
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 10:41pm
Mark Valenti and the MWR(G.Benderoth) have been featured in bear websites....
JUST BRING IT /

WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 11:06pm
Ding, ding, DING!

16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/14 at 12:23am
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/14 at 1:47am
OH MY
JUST BRING IT /

17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/14 at 9:21am
Ouch !!!
I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 11:57am
1993 Stone Mtn.  Went with the Sports Chiropractic club.  After the first few throws i witnessed I was hooked!!  Met Larry Satchwell and went to learn how to throw that winter.  First game Loch Norman 1994..  My best memories was the guys letting me adjust them (while in school no less) any where I could, Hotel rooms, floors, chairs, wherever!!  Oh yeah when Rusher set my portable table up and Francis got on and the table just collapsed- funny as hell!!!  Of course Paul F would not even fit on the table, on the ground it was!!!

"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Phil Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/21 at 5:37am
 Yes Dave Brown...I did get a bite ...but you can barely see the scar now...

Edited by Phil Martin - 5/02/21 at 6:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic