Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

What can an AD do with his Stones?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What can an AD do with his Stones?
    Posted: 7/10/06 at 12:08pm

Nothing like a loaded question to get peoples attention

I have recently gone out and bought some nicer throwing stones.  I still have not found a perfect open stone (spherical, lots of iron ore content = smaller diameter, weighs 16.001#).  

To me, a stone should be one that has no modifications done to it.  Something picked up from a stream bed, field, or local landscape store and used without modifications.  Part of the fun is trying to get a grip on other games stones -- uniformity leads to shot-puts.

I have not read anything in the rules to prevent someone from intentionally modifying a stone to get the weight closer to 16# or 22# or to make it easier to grip and thus easier to throw. 

So this has prompted two questions that I would like input on:

Question 1:  Is grinding down a stone to get it closer to 16# or 22# considered appropriate?

Background for question 2:  I will be using a 17# open stone that I bought earlier this year from a landscape store.  A bin labeled Mexican Beach stone caught my eye because they were smooth and had rust marks on them. I assumed the rust marks was a sign of high iron ore content. Thus, the stones should be heavier for their size then other stones.  I did get some weird looks when I pulled out my scale and started weighing stones, and trying the fit in my hand.  After goign through about 1/3 of the stones, I spotted what was a weird shaped stone that was about the right size.  As soon as I picked it up out of the bin, I knew it would be a great stone.  It's shape fits the hand well and has a natural grove/indentation that fits the thumb perfectly so that one can palm the stone.  Something I have never been able to do with an open stone. 

Question 2:  Can an AD take a grinder and grooving the stone or otherwise shape it in a manner that would improve the throwers grip, which I would assume would increase the distance of the throw. 

Shaping a stone to get a better grip seems like big time cheating to me and thus I would not do it.

I am curious what other people think of either of these practices.  I am not sure anybody has done either.  Are they acceptable? Is it cheating?  Any input would be appreciated

Perhaps I should not mention things like this because some body will go do it and defend it by saying there is no rules against it (that is why I hate that argument).  But maybe by mentioning it, they will think twice and avoid it. 

Mark McVey

Edited by McSanta
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 4:36am
Leave it be, Santa.  Sure, you could make it easier to throw, but then you'd be denied that sadistic pleasaure I'm sure all ADs get listening to throwers bellyache about how unwieldly their stone is.  I know I love hearing it when I break out my Braemar, and I'm not even an AD.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
Lori Henderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 4:52am

Mark,

The uniqueness of the different games across the country IS their different equipment.  I have never thrown anything but listen to the athletes and their stories about 'D' rings here and the awful stone there; this caber and that caber.  The point is that anyone can be good if all they do is stay around the home territory and throw the same implements.  To venture out and experience the cultures elsewhere is what it is all about.  Leave the stones as you found them and the way they were created; all will be good.

Lori

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 6:05am
the never ending quest for the perfect stone
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 1:13pm
The perfect stone is not spherical, IMO, because it forces the hand too far from the neck/cheek.  I believe it's a slightly flattened egg shape.  Somehow, stones such as these that I find never turn out to be slightly over 16 lbs:  they're either way over or just under.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 3:02pm

Wayne, I do prefer the elongated kinda of egg shaped stones, I just was banging out the post with other parts of the post on my mind.

Edited by McSanta
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
David Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 4:37pm

Mark-

Hypothetically, what would you think about these situations:

A large chunk somehow breaks off of a Braemar stone, the stone is about 17 lbs. and still a great stone, but it has a very jagged and dangerous edge, would it be all right for the AD to grind it down so that it is smooth and safe for throwers?

A 16 lb. open stone is used for a long time and slowly gets worn down and loses a bit of weight until it is about 15.90 lbs. it is still a perfectly shaped stone and would be great to throw with, but the AD worries about someone making a record with it and it being underweight. Would it be all right for him to drill a small hole in the stone and add weight by filling the hole with lead or another metal?

Just wondering what you thought.

wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/06 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by David Schultz David Schultz wrote:

what would you think about these situations:

A large chunk somehow breaks off of a Braemar stone...it has a very jagged and dangerous edge, would it be all right for the AD to grind it down so that it is smooth and safe for throwers?

A 16 lb. open stone is used for a long time and slowly gets worn down and loses a bit of weight until it is about 15.90 lbs....the AD worries about someone making a record with it and it being underweight. Would it be all right for him to drill a small hole in the stone and add weight by filling the hole with lead or another metal?

I would say "yes, but".  Yes, but only as a stop gap until suitable replacements could be rounded up.  Then I'd ask "What are you throwing on, asphalt?"

"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 4:00am

I see no rules against man made modification to a stone.  So I am going to my friend at the monument company and have him make me a nice elongated egg shaped stone. Have some groves cut into it for a grip.  Then I am going to find me a really good stone putter who will break a few records with it. 

This stone will give me a legacy in the Highland Games since it will forever change the way the stone put is done!!!  If you can't earn a legacy from throwing, change the rules and .....

My manufactured stone will give an unfair advantage and others will have to follow or lose the stone event.  No one can stop me because it is perfectly legal since there are no rules against it.  I am sure some people will complain but they are just sore losers.  Then there will be the traditionalist but they can be swept to the side by saying they are blocking innovation <insert evil laugh here>

Your feeble <rule writting> skills are no match for the power of the dark side <of ego and competition>. You have paid the price for your lack of vision <and will continue until the rules are rewritten>.

Edited by McSanta
Mark McVey

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic