Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Database
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Why is heavy hammer used for datatbase?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachelle Wiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is heavy hammer used for datatbase?
    Posted: 7/11/06 at 8:58pm

I was just curious as to why the heavy hammer is used for the database rankings and not the light hammer?  In the Northwest there aren't very many games that offer heavy.  Portland is the only one that I've been to that has two hammers.

Rachelle

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 5:14am
I beleive Kurt said it was easier to just do a balnket 4 evenst for all classes...in past pro's had open stone,lwfd,heavy Hammer,wob...masters and womens were open stone,lwfd,lhammer,wob..and for ease it was same 4 eevnts for all classes
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
QuinnTheRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuinnTheRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 9:54am
Hey Rachelle,

I think there may be a few games that open the Am-A's up to the Heavy Hammer around here (NW) with the Bobby Dodd Heavy Hammer Award he is giving away this year. Last weekend, at Mount Vernon, Bob Ham let us throw the Heavy.

Mike Adams
Throw long, throw hard.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 10:10am
It's because Kurt and Ryan only wanted to use one hammer and it happens that, overall, the heavy hammer is thrown at more games than the light.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
David Schultz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 11:41am

A lot of games choose to only throw heavy hammer because it takes a lot less space.

admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/06 at 1:58pm

Actually I can make it so each class uses different events so speak up if it really makes sense to change it.

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/06 at 4:34pm
keep it uniform..it makes a bit more sense...remeber the databse is only a guide(unless you are a top 15 pro-trying to get in to Celtic!)
JUST BRING IT /

houseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:25am
Maybe we could work on getting the Women's heavy hammer contested in some of those games that are not holding it. 
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/06 at 8:49am
Denise alot of place won't throw the heavy hammer for the women..different regions are a bit different-I remebemer a few years ago larry Brock came up ti mass for an amtr games and it was the first time he would be throwing the light hammer-thye didn't throw a mens 16 down south..personally for women starting out or not as strong and advanced as someone like yourself-wish thye threw the 12lb hammer for women
JUST BRING IT /

Rachelle Wiley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachelle Wiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/06 at 6:07am

Then the question becomes do we add the heavy and eliminate the light or add another event to an already long day?  I have heard several comments from people stating that they prefer only one hammer.  I know the crowds like watching the light hammer because of the longer distances.

QuinnTheRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuinnTheRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/06 at 9:46am
I would love to see the Heavy Hammer thrown at Prosser. We rarely get a chance to see it in the NW. I would actually like to see all the events contested..................now that would be a good day of throwing!!!!
Throw long, throw hard.
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/06 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by QuinnTheRed QuinnTheRed wrote:

I would...like to see all the events contested...that would be a good day....

I could see different Games choosing different events but, in my mind, throwing both hammers at a Games seems as boring as tossing both sheaves in the same day!  Wouldn't the outcomes of both hammers be pretty much the same?  That's why Enumclaw only asks the athletes for one hammer score on the entry form.

Variety!  Its what keeps the day interesting, both to the athletes and to the spectators.

"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
Steve D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/06 at 2:07pm
Personally, I would love to see all the events included in the rankings. I think it would show a better picture of the athlete’s ability to throw all the events. Having only 4 events limits the big picture. If the Pro’s have all the events ranked, why not everyone. It would be fun to compare. Just my opinion.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/06 at 4:49am

If one was clever with programming, one could use:

Stone Contribution to the rank = maximum points generated by the Open & Braemar

Hammer Contribution = maximum points generated by Light and Heavy Hammer

Weight Contribution = maximum points generated by heavy & Light weight throws

WOB contribution is the same

This would clear up some of the controversy of why only limited events.. blah blah blah

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic