FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Step-up’s vs. Squats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Step-up’s vs. Squats
    Posted: 1/22/07 at 7:46am

Ended up reading an interesting article this weekend outlining how Eastern block Oly. lifters got heavily into high step-ups vs. squats in the 70’s and 80’s to create maximum strength gains.

Any one have any experience here/ further supporting articles/ thoughts?

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 7:51am
before you go any further go to the ironmind website and see what was posted in the news section a few days ago.hmmmmm.

Edited by dWood
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Greg Bell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 7:59am

Captain obvious strikes again!

big MAC View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big MAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 12:13pm
I would do them for maybe a 2 month cycle, but the squat is still the king.
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 1:29pm
dwood is right strossen talked to some athletes and they said they never did step ups, he talked to a coach who did'nt know what he was talking about. it turns out it was a language barrier problem, not saying dont do em' if they feel like they're working for you go for it!!
Steve D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 1:29pm

Greg

With your knee history you would benefit from the step ups. Heavy weight on shorter boxes would be best - less than 90 deg for sure. Don't forget to work in a hopy step up with speed in mind later in the season. I would still throw in the squats but don't kill it.

Make sure the box will hold YOU and the weight!

Have you lost any weight?

Just some helpful thoughts...

Edited by Steve D
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 1:50pm

Greg, hi -box step ups were big with throwers in the late 70's .  We DID them in conjuction with hi-rep squats, during the prep phase.  Do them hi-reps after you squat 10-15's. They are the king of single leg movements in my opinion- intense , big results.  As the MAC from down under suggest drop them prior to pre-comp phase.  My coach was a student of the Eastern Bloc.,system, having studied w/ Medvedev (spelling) in the Soviet Union.   Not sure , but that may have been the source.  Good Luck !   

I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
Greg Bell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 1:50pm

Steve/ everyone else......

Thanks for the advice. I'll try them for a while and see how my legs feel. Don’t think I'll abandon squats for them thought. The article I read is linked below.

http://www.overspeedtraining.com/000_general/050104_02.html

As far as my weight...(deep sigh....) Got down to about 270 -3 months ago.........as of last night.....290........

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/07 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 17/20 17/20 wrote:

My coach was a student of the Eastern Bloc.,system, having studied w/ Medvedev (spelling) in the Soviet Union.

One nice thing about Cyrillic translations is that you can't really misspell them.

That's one of the spellings I've seen used, anyway.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/23/07 at 8:29am

I did a ton of step ups in Football - maybe because it mimics the running movement/pattern? Strongest I ever was in the squat was my 11th year after a whole off-season spent alternating squats and step ups. I think people should stay w. hi reps (6-10) and not do heavy - I remember a couple of spectacular misses where guys were lucky to not get smashed - even w. spotters. I like 'em occasionally - we do almost everything off two feet so squat variations are better IMO.They will give you that Myles shelf butt.  

Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/24/07 at 10:49am

The hips really have to recruit all kinds of muscles to control that step up.  That is what I noticed most when I used to do them.

Donate lately?
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/07 at 7:15am
OK - being the idiot that I am......I go do a bunch of hi-box step ups my next workout . I did the barbell style up onto a box that was higher than parallel(top of thigh like in the overspeed article)  and it was HARD!!! Especially the left leg - lots weaker than the right...hmmmm don't like that.Also balance comes into play when you're loaded up and tired. If that hammer ruskie can do step ups w. 396 ...no wonder he has world records..geez. I'm gonna sprinkle these in every other time 'till I feel better about it. Recommended paired w. fronts..got some 308 triples after the step ups .Like Roy said - works the whole hip/butt area different than just squatting - throw 'em in the mix!
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/07 at 11:42am

Originally posted by M-BAAB M-BAAB wrote:

OK  - throw 'em in the mix!

I know I'm new around here, but does anyone but me notice that whenever someone makes an inquiry or suggestion about almost any exercise, Baab invariably tests it out and usually "highly recommends" "throwin'em in the mix"?

Mike, don't take this the wrong way, as I'm certainly not even remotely suggesting you are doing anything wrong (far from it!), but how many "highly recommended" exercises do you have in your "mix"??? 

Basically, I'm just jealous that I don't have the time OR the energy to workout like Mike.  I guess all those (many) years of football practices and lifting workouts left him with a work capacity most of us just don't have.  It is something to which most of us can only aspire.

BTW, Mike, what else did you do in that workout?  We haven't had a report in a while.

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Peter Ingleton Peter Ingleton wrote:

Basically, I'm just jealous that I don't have the time OR the energy to workout like Mike.  I guess all those (many) years of football practices and lifting workouts left him with a work capacity most of us just don't have.  It is something to which most of us can only aspire.

I think you got that backwards:  Mike excelled at football because of rare genetics that thrive on a level of work that would kill most of us.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:52pm
Well, after 35 years or so of training, I get easily bored and (thankfully) easily excited w. training new/old/ain't done in decades stuff - it's all fun. Or, as my lovely wife says " You're an obsessive psycho". Thanks honey..........Last Thursday = Standing pause front military press 156 x 7,8,8.....step-ups barbell (box was really too high by probably 3"s- these weights are pretty embarassing - I tried to be totally strict - no push off,etc) 45 x 3 each leg , 66x 3 ,88x3x2(right leg =easy, left =hard).my thighs are sore way up high so we got to new places..........fronts 156x3,264x3,308x3x3.....Pulcinellas 264 x5 x 3......pull throughs (2 handed ) 195x 6,265x6,300x6x2......Hammer bench w. 2 plates on each side x3 to failure(speeeed work)....plank hold front and both sides w. these Pallates variation things this mean little instructor taught me.......med ball 20lb wall slams 6 each side....medball 16 lb floorslams 3x5.....low ab leg circles and lifts 'till it hurt....plyo box jumps 3 x3 .....as you can see , I like to jump all over , maybe 3-4 sets each exercise = kill it and move on..........a protien shake soo big I'm STILL farting (sorry ladies). .....I was sick last week so I apologize for the half- ass affort...I'll do better next time.Promise.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:22pm
Highly recommended....reminds me of an old quote " What's the best exercise machine in the world?".....answer- "The one you'll use".......If you work it hard enough, almost any goofy ass exercise has merit . Just ask my upper thighs and glutes about high step ups- they'll highly recommend them.  
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:24pm
Or maybe I'm just an psychoticly obsessed idiot ?
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/07 at 2:22pm

Originally posted by M-BAAB M-BAAB wrote:

Or maybe I'm just an psychoticly obsessed idiot ?

Although I don't really know you, you certainly don't seem to be an idiot.  Not sure about the rest though...

Re the any exercise will work comment - back when I was throwing, at one point we tried a very shot put specific exercise that was basically a deadlift version of RV's "Stone Squats" (or whatever he calls them).  Basically, you get into the standing shot put power position, hold a barbell in your hands (or on your shoulders a la Vierra) and squat up and down.  Since it was a new exercise, we only went moderately hard for about three sets.  Nevertheless, despite the fact that we had been doing tons of throwing, squatting, and power cleans at that point, my glutes were SORE for days.  It was a neat exercise but we never really did it much.   Do any of you do either version of that exercise much?  For those that do, is it used as an occassional substitute for squats, or as a supplementary exercise?  Do you find it has much value compared to front or back squats, or even step-ups?

BTW, Step Ups were a mainstay for the pole vaulters, long-jumpers, and decathletes.  I will likely incorporate them into my workouts at some point too when my progress in Back and Front Squats slows down. 

17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/07 at 4:06am

Peter the finish to that movement (shot specific) is to push the bar up and or release.  If you want to get event specific. That one imported from the CCCP.   

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/07 at 7:11am
whats up MR 17/20 or Hollywood....just got back from gym 275 X 5 reps in back squat(parallel) and about 205 X 3 in front squat..then did step=ups not high but just to get the fell..did 20lbs per hand for 10reps(left leg is still abit weakerr but were addressing that..then went into aerobic room and I started with a med ball in a sling and getting used to going into a half squat and casting the weight-I'll see you at MWC!!start Gillingham front squat next weds..Tjames hit 195 X 3 reps in front squat today-she looks like she has a mission for 2007
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/07 at 11:36am

How do you get to Macpherson- Hot Air Ballon?  

houseman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/07 at 4:25am
Originally posted by 17/20 17/20 wrote:

How do you get to Macpherson- Hot Air Ballon?  

Apparently that's the only way without incurring a stopover!!

pinkpigworld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkpigworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/19 at 3:59am

1. Burn fat

Building muscles is one of the best ways to reduce the fat.

Because if you have more muscles, your will need to burn more energy a day. 

And squat with a resistance band can help build muscles quickly as it aids in an increase in your metabolism. 

So, as a return, it can link to calorie burning.

2. Strengthen your legs

When you are performing the squats, it will tone your legs so that it will increase your legs muscles. 

It means that you will be running faster and easier due to the strong leg muscles.

3. Improve your balance

Properly squat requires your body to be stabilized in a position that can increase your flexibility and coordination.

4. May help reduce injuries

Squats strengthen your stabilizer muscles and tendons, which can lead to a steadier body during the workout or working. 

Hence, the flexible body can prevent you against the injuries at some point.

5. Lifts your butt

Squats strengthen your glutes that can result in tight butt. Besides, it can also help to lift the butt by the extra squeeze on your glutes.

6. Strengthen your knees

The squats will strengthen not only your legs but also your knees. It helps to tone your joints.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic