Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Cholesterol and high blood pressure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cholesterol and high blood pressure
    Posted: 1/09/05 at 5:06am

Im a 6'6" guy weight as high as 320 lbs currently 290 I can drop as low as 278 in the summer months.

A few years ago I started to have hyper tension when I weighed in around 320 lbs. I work on the rail road. One hot summer morning @ 8:00 am we sent out on a derailment, it was a locomotive and a few cars. My boos was the wreck master. My boss really sucked at derailments. He would have us empty the wrecking truck of all the wood and shove it all under the equipment to get it back on  the rails. Well, by 2:00 in the afternoon I was dehydrated, sun beaten and the wood was all in splinters. My boss could not get it up on the rails, I was getting very annoyed He tried one last move and ruptured the 3500 gallon fuel tank on a re-railer. I we were beat by then. I had a migraine by then ad told my boss I could not wear my hard hat no more,  he said put it back on! I walked to the other side of the loco and threw the hard hat at the back of my truck, it bounced back at me,   I stomped it into the ground, crushed the hard hat and marched to my truck to relax in the AC for a while. I got into the truck I was in a rage. I punched in the radio a few times, grabbed the dash board and in one shot ripped it out of the truck and threw it out of the door. At that time I think I was dehydrated,   heat stroked and my blood pressure was 200 over 100. we really had nothing to drink all day in the 90 degree heat.  

Anyway after that I was gritting my teeth in traffic and I didn't know why. After a doctors visit and testing found out my colesterol was 270 and blood pressure was 140 over 90 resting. The doc put me on pressure and col pills, it lowered my numbers but I had muscle wasting and joint pain. My whole right side of my body was in pain, I even had trouble walking!

I got off the meds, started running 3 to 5 miles a day,  got a better diet and got the numbers down.

These doctors today will put you on a pill in a heart beat.

I was wondering if those higher numbers were normal for us BIG guys and I don't mean fat, well, useless fat. Those numbers that the doctors work with are for the wee people not us linebackers.

you guys post your numbers if you dare I just want to take a survey.

Thanks,

Alf

Got any Beemans?
pfc95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfc95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/05 at 4:26am

I have always been a heavy guy ( I was born at 10 lbs and weighed weel over 250 through HS, now weight about 300) and have high bp since I was five.  Doctors have put me on these pills and off. I usually run 135 over 85-90.  This is considered borderline and I am consistantly at that level. My cholesteral has always been ok.  My Doctor (and I) think that while my BP is high, it may be normal for someone with my build, since I have had it all of my life.  I have had EKG and all of that to double check and everything looks good.  Having said that I still take a med to keep it in check and the side effects do suck. 

Good luck!

Derk Wilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derk Wilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/05 at 6:11am

Alf,

I'm 6'8", and go about 285 right now, though I've been as high as 315.  My blood pressure has always been on the low end of normal. (Maybe 100/65?  I don't remember for sure.)  I've always been tall, but not always big.  Until I started to really bulk up intentionally about ten years ago, I was skinny.  (High-school nickname was Slim.)  So maybe guys genetically predisposed to being heavy (is it mesomorphs or something like that?) should have their own chart, but I don't think its automatic with the size.

Edited by Derk Wilcox
Big Alfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/05 at 7:56am

"Maybe 100/65?"

Wow, My wife is 5'5" and that about what her pressure is.

You ever get dizzy during a workout or after?

You ever donate blood? How do you feel after

I do every 56 days in and out of there quick since I have the higher blood pressure I fill the bag up quick lol

Sometimes I eat the right stuff to keep the pressure down and some times I don't

Got any Beemans?
Derk Wilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derk Wilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/05 at 8:18am

Yes, I get dizzy sometimes when I workout when I make a really long and fast assent, like with a speed deadlift from the ground.  (But not over a shorter range of motion like a power clean from the hang.)  I also have really cold hands and feet, as the circulation is kind of slow to get there.  And I don't give blood anymore cause I get dizzy afterwards.

I've asked a doctor about it, but he assured me I'm healthy. 

I agree, I don't think doctors no much about the health of big guys.  When I got my wisdom teeth pulled a few years back, the dentist had to keep increasing the local anethsthetic cause I was feeling everything.  He said he thought he had injected me with enough to make a horse feel no pain, but he kept having to give me more.

BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/05 at 5:08pm
  Hey Alf,alot of people get dizzy or lightheaded after giving blood.I would think smaller people get dizzy easier,because their bodies actually contain less blood than you behemoths.For instance,if you drained a pint of blood from an infant,it you would kill it.I know,it's an extreme example but,it's valid.It's your body telling you to slow down a minute,somethings out of balance.That's why after you donate,they usually offer you fluids and something to eat.Usually the dizziness subsides shortly after.Another thing Alf,stress is a major contributor to high blood pressure.It kills all kinds of people all of the time.Young and old.If the story above is accurate,and I believe it is,because I know you,that is a display of stress.I am very familiar with violent outbursts.You know what I used to be like.Give me a call at home.I think I can give you a few suggestions that helped me immensely.I'm no doctor by any means but,I think the high blood pressure may be a symptom of something else.I hope I can point you to some other options that have worked for me as well as others.
Vae Victus
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/05 at 5:37pm
   Oh I'm not done rambling yet.I get very dizzy,have even come close to passing out,while performing max lifts.I believe it is the blood rushing to your muscles due to extreme exertion.Again I think it's your body telling you that's it,I can't take anymore!I also have gotten lightheaded during a workout because I didn't eat right,or I didn't get enough sleep.As far as fast lifts or spinning with weights,I thought it was from all the drugs I did when I was younger.I think now,it's just because they are still relatively new exercises,and my brain is still learning to compensate for the movement.Just a guess.
Vae Victus
Big Alfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/05 at 11:51pm
Maybe you get dizzy from all that fresh air and open space. I think you need to be in a cramped up city setting and folks with bad BO  Like when you played those drums in that old musty building. That kept them lungs tight!
Got any Beemans?
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 1:30am
Originally posted by BillB BillB wrote:

I get very dizzy,have even come close to passing out,while performing max lifts.I believe it is the blood rushing to your muscles due to extreme exertion.

More specifically, it's your body's response to a spike in blood pressure from pressurizing your abdomen.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:21am
  Thanks again Wayne.Are you some kind of sports physician or something?Your posts on this sight are,to me,above average and right on target.I'm glad I'm laid off,so I have time to spend learning new stuff about this sport.It would take a considerable amount of time to read the volumes that guys like yourself seem to have.I really appreciate that you share this imformation so freely.
Vae Victus
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:30am

Wayne is a genius.  It's been mentioned before.  He should go on jeapordy or something.

Steve P blows Dave Barron sux

Donate lately?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:36am
Nah, I make it up as I go along.

I'm an interested engineer (a dangerous character).  I've been studying the physiological aspects of exercise, nutrition, etc. ever since I (re)started weight training a number of years ago.  I've read a lot and had a lot of interaction with some very knowledgeable people online.

You can do the same.

I think I'd suck on Jeopardy.  I don't know the British monarchs at all.

-Wayne

Edited by Wayne Hill
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 3:55am
   I am always looking for imformation.Since I started working out about 8 years ago,I've learned lots of stuff.But,this sight seems head and shoulders above any others I have seen.The variety of backgrounds and resources are great.And these guys speak in a language I can understand.
Vae Victus
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 4:15am
[QUOTE=BillB] And these guys speak in a language I can understand.[/
QUOTE]

Grunt.....Grunt?
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 4:53am
Grunt,Grunt,that's a good one.I meant that I don't need a Latin to English dictionary.Some people feel the need to use huge anatomical names and theroem to get a simple point across.
Vae Victus
McSantoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSantoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 4:55am

Not sure of my Chol. but my BP is and has always been around 120/80.

I am 6'6" and 375.

Steve

Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 5:20am
Behemoth Freak!
Donate lately?
Big Alfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:01am

I always wondered what us big guys looked like 91 years of age

Well, some one I know is geeting close, Killer Kowalski is his name. I joined his wresting gym a few years ago. He has a young fella there training the guys now but once in a while he would jump in and he is still strong as an Ox.

Man 375. My feet and knees were killing me @ 320 but I was only there temporally  I was wondering how could guys go heavier without their dogs barking. I guess maybe the feet respond to bear the extra weight.

Back about the blood pressure:

When I had high blood pressure it would put me in a bad mood, Just eritated,  almost that I would want to jump out of my skin.

What I was wondering recently is, how many people that walk around with bad moods and that went to jail, that didn't even know they had high blood pressure.

Bill, I have no bad issues I just have kidney damage from roids, I kid I kid. never touched the stuff. When I was three I got strep throat and it got so bad it shut down my kidneys and I got some damage. Now that I got this big body my kidney make my hear work a little harder.

I could not join the Core to become a killer becuse of this but I can still make one heck of a War face.

Alf out. 

Got any Beemans?
McSantoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSantoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:43am

Alf,

I have not been 320 since high school. I have no knee ankle or foot problems. I guess I am just suited to carry that weight around.

As for the way we big guys look at 91??? Most of us don't make it that long . Simple fact of life!

PS - How is Melmack this time of year?

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 6:54am

Santoli is correct. I know lots of guys over 60, but I don't know anyone 300# or more over 60. When the Chief retired he took his weight down under 220 (he was teasing Alistair and Steve and myself about being the lightest guy at dinner a few years ago at Pleasanton). The Chief is a wise man. Jason seems to be on the right track here as well.

Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 8:29am
Hey Alf,I'm not suggesting you're nuts or anything.But ripping the radio out of the truck and throwing it out is not constructive behavior.But it is a better alternative than pounding your boss.I was just going to suggest a few tricks I've learned to control a situation before I do something stupid.And I still do stupid things once in awhile.Just not as extreme as I used to.
Vae Victus
Big Alfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 8:50am
Ill give you a call in a few
Got any Beemans?
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:13pm
Not to pimp my own articles, but there are two articles in Milo that I wrote, one on blood pressure and one on cholesterol. They are broad explanations and general guidelines, but can help bring some perspective to the topics.  If anyone is interested I can post the issues that these articles appeared.  I personally struggle with these issues and compete as a Heavy at about 260-270, so these are things that are personally relavent. 
"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
Big Alfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:16pm

Sure post away

thanks,

alf

Got any Beemans?
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/05 at 2:56pm

Blood Pressure issue 11.1

Lipids issue 11.4

Author:  William L. Crawford, M.D.

Hope this helps! 

"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
DarylB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarylB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/12/05 at 11:06am
I'm 6'6'' 320 lbs. Low blood pressure and Cholesterol is something like 117 last time I checked. I'm an old(er) guy and I know that I shouldn't weigh this much, but it seems to happen when I train and get ready for games. I feel much stronger when I'm over abour 260 at least.
Yeah, those are all my kids. Same wife. Yes, there are eight.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/12/05 at 2:00pm
If your cholesterol is really that low, you're on the other side of the risk curve.

-Wayne
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/05 at 6:19am
Hey, Daryl, 320lb??????  Is that your top half or your bottom half?  I've met you in person, I weigh 305, and if you only have 15lbs on me, I need a new mirror!!!!! 
Thom Van Vleck
Big Alfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/17 at 10:25am
Well It's been over 12 years. How's everyone doing? I just had a kidney transplant. 

Yup looking back at this thread posting about my Hypertension this was about the time my kidneys started to fail. 

In the past 12 years anyone else have kidney issues? 
Got any Beemans?
Big Alfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/17 at 3:30pm
the past 2 years I got up to 376. At the time of my kidney transplant I was 299. Currently 330. Looking to get back in the gym. 
Got any Beemans?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic