Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Sheaf Pitchfork - # of tines?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earth2Chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheaf Pitchfork - # of tines?
    Posted: 5/05/07 at 3:03pm
Hi all -

Threw at my first games today, and just like a newbie showed up without a pitchfork for the sheaf toss.  Fortunately, some kind souls let me borrow theirs - thanks Will and Glen!

During the chatting, everyone kept referring to the requirement for a 3-tined pitchfork, and some folks were saying how they can be hard to find, etc.  In checking the rules, I don't see any requirement for 3 tines - just a minimum of two.

NASGAWEB.com/rules: Tossing the Sheaf
"...The toss shall be made in any manner desired using a pitchfork with at least two tines."

Can anyone tell me

a) if 3 tines is a real requirement, and
b) are there different rules that govern individual games that would supersede the NASGA rules?

Also, are there any rules governing the construction of the pitchfork other than the # of tines, such as handle length, weight, etc?

From what I read in the rules page, anything with more than 2 will work, but I don't want to show up at a games with unsuitable equipment and argue with ADs over the rules. 

I'm still very much in "new kid" learning mode, so thanks to everyone in advance for any info.

Chuck

agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/07 at 3:19pm
NASGA rules are not binding on anybody, since NASGA
doesn't run any games. They are a widely used set of
rules, but there are others - SAAA, RMSA, etc. And there
are games where NASGA rules or a derivative set of rules
are in use, but with local variations or with
unofficial "rules" that don't appear in print but have
the force of tradition.

The pitch fork thing is one of those - regardless of
what the written rules might say (and that varies
depending on the rule set), the three-tine requirement
is common, but not universal. So you may possibly find
yourself at games where a two-tine fork is OK, and games
where it isn't. Since a three-tine fork is always
acceptable, it's probably best to go with that.
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/07 at 4:35pm
You might want to hold off on a fork for a while.  Any Games at which you compete should have a "house" fork available and, besides, its generally accepted that any competitor can use any fork used at an event.  Give yourself a chance to try out the different types of forks to find out what works best for you.

Rule-wise, the only rules that l've seen are a minimum of 2 tines and a maximum length of 5 feet, although, as you have found, some areas are stuck on 3 tines.  USAD (United Scottish Athletics Directers) is trying to expand fork rules to mandate that, although modified, your fork has to originally be a commercially manufactured fork.  l think that their intent is to have a standard distance between the tines so as to limit damage to their sheaves but that would only be the case if they also mandated the brand of forks used!

Play with other people's forks for a while 'til you find out what's accepted in your area and what works best for you.
Lori Henderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/07 at 4:54pm

Here is exactly what the USAD rules say.  You will find this in effect for many games in the midwest; but not all.

Pitch Fork*:

1. The Pitch Fork used in the Sheaf Toss must be a commercially produced pitch fork.

1. The Pitch Fork can either have two or three tines.

1. The Pitch Fork handle shall have a nominal length of 5’ or less.

1. The Pitch Fork may be modified to the extent of removing tines, reshaping the tines, shortening the handle. Modifications such as welding additional handles, etc. are not allowed.

Hope that helps with regards to the USAD rules.  There are some really good hardware stores that carry both 2 and 3 tine forks.  Generally, these are true farm type hardware stores.

Lori

Earth2Chuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earth2Chuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/07 at 5:17pm
Great - thanks for the info!  
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/07 at 2:35pm
my question to all good sheaf tossers on this site is what do you like better 2 tine or 3 and why? does one help with a 20lb bag better than a 16lb?
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
Richard Doria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Doria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/07 at 2:48pm
Stuupud event.
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/07 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Richard Doria Richard Doria wrote:

Stuupud event.
Yeah, yeah, yeah!!
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
Jess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/07 at 4:19am

Personally, I find it easier to throw with a 3-tine fork because of hand placement between the tines, I feel like I have more control and power. Since you said your 1st games was @ Triad, you are going to be competing mostly in the southeast I would assume. With that being said, I don't know of anyone who throws aith a 2 tine fork so I don't know if they don't allow it or just that nobody uses one.

Good luck and don't listen to them saying it a stupid event, its an awesome event!

Ed Schultz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Schultz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/07 at 4:42am
In my experience, it depends on the sheaf.  If it's a tight bag, the two-tine fork seems to work best for me.  If the bag is loose, I can get a better stick with a three-tine, thus avoiding "premature ejeculation".
I may be old, but I'm weak.
butner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/07 at 1:56pm
you got 20 feet with three.It was my first also,,,stuupid sheaf.Only bar i got over was after the games.
Porkyfries View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkyfries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/07 at 6:02pm

two-tine is the way to go, hands down.

Play the game for more than you can afford to lose....only then will you learn the game. -Winston Churchill
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/07 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by wallyworld wallyworld wrote:

You might want to hold off on a fork for a while.  Any Games at which you compete should have a "house" fork available and, besides, its generally accepted that any competitor can use any fork used at an event.  Give yourself a chance to try out the different types of forks to find out what works best for you.

Rule-wise, the only rules that l've seen are a minimum of 2 tines and a maximum length of 5 feet, although, as you have found, some areas are stuck on 3 tines.  USAD (United Scottish Athletics Directers) is trying to expand fork rules to mandate that, although modified, your fork has to originally be a commercially manufactured fork.  l think that their intent is to have a standard distance between the tines so as to limit damage to their sheaves but that would only be the case if they also mandated the brand of forks used!

Play with other people's forks for a while 'til you find out what's accepted in your area and what works best for you.
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/07 at 8:56pm

[QUOTE=agm_]NASGA rules are not binding on anybody, since NASGA
doesn't run any games. They are a widely used set of
rules, but there are others - SAAA, RMSA, etc.

I need help!

How many organisations over there?

How many are writing rules?

How many are authorising non-Scottish events?

How many are authorising non-Scottish techniques?

How many realise that the use of the word "Scottish" carries with it a responsibility to look at what is being done in Scotland with regard to the Heavy events?

"Mutation" v "Authenticity" ........ discuss the dangers.

If Highland Games in Scotland no longer existed I could fully understand the Highland Games in 2 nations as vast as Canada and the USA going their own way.

While the production of rule guides to assist with the organisation of Games is great - any time you need to check out what you should be doing or need a new rule or event or technique considered ... why not ask the Scottish Games Association if it could be adopted?

Remember if Her Majesty the Queen can have tea in the White House .... and not bring up the subject of all the back rent you owe her for squatting on her land.....anything is possible!

Gerry

PS That last bit was a joke. She left the invoice in her bedroom!

Edited by greynolds177
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/07 at 11:28am
Originally posted by greynolds177 greynolds177 wrote:

Originally posted by agm_ agm_ wrote:

NASGA rules are not binding on anybody, since NASGA doesn't run any games. They are a widely used set of rules, but there are others - SAAA, RMSA, etc.

I need help!

How many realise that the use of the word "Scottish" carries with it a responsibility to look at what is being done in Scotland with regard to the Heavy events?

8 or 9 groups plus lots of independent games

ASAA = Alberta Scottish Athletic Association
http://www.heavyevents.ab.ca/rules.htm

MASA = Mid Atlantic Scottish Athletic Association.  Rules similar to NASGA
http://www.highlandgames.net/masa/rules/index.php

NASGA = North American Scottish Games Athletics
http://www.nasgaweb.com/rules.asp

RMSA = Rocky Mountain Scottish Athletics.  Rules Similar to NASGA
http://www.rmsa.org/

SAAA = Scottish American Athletic Association (Rules written by Carlos Borges)
http://www.saaa-net.org/rules/rules_2003.PDF

SHA = Scottish Heavy Athletics written by Carlos Borges are the same as SAAA except for one line about rounding measurement to lowest whole inch. There may be other differences.
http://www.scottish-heavies.com/sha_info.htm

SSAAA = Southeastern Scottish Armature Athletic Association
http://www.thessaaa.org/rules.htm  - no real rules posted

USAD = United Scottish Athletic Directors  - Mid-continent group
No website yet.

A few but mostly based on either Carlos Borges rules or NASGA rules or a Combination

Depends on what you mean by Scottish and non-Scottish events - Keg tosses, farmers walk, Irish throws, ....  Lots of games do the keg tosses and farmer walks and other challenge type events. 

Irish Throws is mostly Richard Jackson of Wisconsin Games.

DO you mean spinning -- I am not even going to go there -- period.

We may look, but it does not mean we follow --

We use stones, Scottish games uses medal balls.

We do not use the throwing vectors or what every they are called - Scottish Games do

We do Sheaf and some even spin with it - Scottish Games ?

I look at it as our traditions of the Scottish games -- Some have tried using "What is being done in Scotland" as a reason to ban or allow things over here -- that reason does not usually fair well in debates.

Why not ask the Scottish Games Association if it could be adopted? 

We don't even have our own national organization, why would we ask another nation's organization if it could adopt something? 

In defense to what may seem to be a chaotic system, many involved in the games over here are students of the games, they know the history.  Also, despite having many different sets of rules, the rules used here are very similar to each other.     

If anybody so cares, the attached link will lead to a website with a couple of PDF files that compare NASGA rules to most others and Carlos Borges rules to most others.

Rules are Rules

Edited by McSanta
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/07 at 12:07pm

Thanks McSanta

That was an extremely useful post which I really do appreciate you taking the time to write for me.

We have exactly the same problems over here with different organisations (without the geographical justification and need that you have for area associations) and some work has started to look at the possible harmonisation of our rules and field layouts.

Over here the Amateur and Professional split with Games in either one camp or the other until only recently has done (in my humble opinion) massive harm to the development of our Games and the way that it is viewed in the eyes of the people who really matter - ie Government - when it comes to funding and assistance.

Hopefully we will end up with one National Association over here that everyone can be part of one day.

It really can only help progress things. 

McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/07 at 7:28am

If no one else will answer this, I guess I will field this question. 

I rather not answer this as if I am USAD spokesperson because certain position I have taken may taint this organization whose efforts I believe are good.

The reason that few have heard of USAD is because of their goals and structure is not designed to promote the organization or sanction games or gain any sort of power in the highland games world. 

It is a loose federation of independent games' Athletics Directors that got together to help each others games. 

The structure or lack of one (no hierarchical structure) and the lack of self promotion makes it look like USAD is a secret society.  That is not the intention of this group.  The structure is designed to give everyone equal voice and so it is not threatening to other organizations and sanctioning bodies.  

The following is from their rules book:

UNITED SCOTTISH ATHLETICS DIRECTORS ORGANIZATION

2006-2007

The United Scottish Athletics Directors (USAD) is an organization of Scottish Highland Game’s Athletics Directors. The primary goal of the USAD is to provide a heavy events rule book that all members agree to abide by. A secondary but equally important goal is to help build each individual Highland Game through mutual support including cross promoting, advertising, and sharing of ideas on the many varied challenges facing athletic directors (recruiting throwers, soliciting sponsors, equipment needs, dealing with committees).

There is no hierarchical structure of USAD, each member shares in the discussion and decision making.

We have found that through this cooperative effort, new ideas and visions of the games are born.

All members of the USAD must be Athletic Directors of major Scottish Highland Games.  Major Scottish Highland Games are defined as games operated by a Game’s board which may or may not be a not for profit group which contains elected officials; a Saint Andrews Society, etc.  Athletic Only events are welcome to use the USAD rules and judges.  They will then use an AD of a Major Game to be their spokesperson for the annual meeting.

The rules contained in this book will remain intact until February of each year at which time an annual meeting will take place where the Athletic Directors who chose to involve their Highland Game in this organization and adopt these rules will converge for a weekend to discuss, change and add rules that have been discovered to be needed through the year by the Athletes, Judges and Athletic Directors.  If any Athlete, Judge or Athletic Director sees a change is needed and would like it addressed at the next year’s meeting they need to communicate their findings to the current members of the USAD.

Current Members of USAD are:

Athletic Director(s)

Festival

State

Kevin & Lori Henderson

Kansas City Scottish Highland Games

Missouri

Scott & Ann Runnels

Saint Louis Scottish Games and
Cultural Festival

Missouri

Al Myers
Troy Fowler

McPherson Scottish Festival &

Highland Games

Kansas

Merl Lawless
John Moore

Springfield Highland Games
a.k.a. Ancient Athletics

Illinois

Chuck & Vicki Teas
Mark McVey

Celtic Highland Games of the
Quad Cities

Iowa

Ed Cosner

San Antonio Highland Games and
Celtic Music Festival

Texas

Jonathon Irvin

Oklahoma Highland Game

Oklahoma

Frank Lamb

Tulsa Highland Games

Oklahoma

----

From my point of view, the rules writing is a pain in the ass. I get more out of this organization social interaction.  Being able to get input on how to solve particular problems with committees, insight on how to land individual sponsors or how to form a partnership with other games to broaden the sponsorship appeal to a larger geographical area, ....

In other words, it is like getting together with other AD's and having a athletics directors problem solving sessions.

One last point, USAD was restricted to "major" games because of the unique set of problems we face when dealing with our games committees/boards.  Unique in that they are different from athletics only events where the AD gets to do basically what they would like and rein fairs throwing events which have a whole separate set of problems dealing with profit motive promoters.   

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/07 at 7:41am

I believe something like this could work on a national level to resolve some of the perceived rules issues and lack of a national organization.

If a meeting was called in a place like Las Vegas for AD's -- Work through the rules and get one set of rules to use by everyone with enough options that individuals games keep their flavor.  

This is not far fetched idea since the rules out their are very similar.  Do this once every few years to keep the rules relevant and allow them to adapt and change to any emerging trends in the games.

Rules are Rules

Why Vegas: because cheap flights from everywhere and a potential cheap accomodations -- no other motivation for me to go there.

Edited by McSanta
Mark McVey

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/07 at 9:24am

Any AD organisation with Kevin and Lori Henderson in it gets a big thumbs up  from the AD in Inverness.

Not so sure about meeting in Vegas mind.

They are having a 2 for 1 sale at the pie shop in Drumnadrochit this week..... .... and the spare part for the bus from Inverness is expected in any day now.

Edited by greynolds177
K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/07 at 1:31pm

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart Ryan Stewart wrote:

my question to all good sheaf tossers on this site is what do you like better 2 tine or 3 and why? does one help with a 20lb bag better than a 16lb?

If anybody doesn't think the middle tine helps, I've got a fork that I'd like to show you. I pulled on it so hard one time I popped the weld on the middle tine and it went flying through the air with the bag. If you think a two tine fork is better then either you're a freak like Mike Smith, or you haven't really pulled hard on a bag yet. The middle tine is a difference of 2-3 feet when you start to get into higher heights.

As for rules, I kind of like the "it has to be a true hay fork" rule down south, but beyond that I could care less. Just get out there and yank on the damn thing and see how high it goes. If it goes over the bar, give that sheaf a big sloppy kiss and wait for the next height.

"I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003
Richard Doria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Doria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/07 at 2:12pm

Good heavens.  All this due to the stuupud sheaf toss and the stuupud forks?

By the by, I did toss the sheaf 21 feet, ONCE.  And it was with the old burlalp bag stuffed with straw.  Bring back the straw bag and I'll take back  everything I ever said about the stuupud sheaf toss.  (Like that will ever happen.)

Lori Henderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/07 at 3:46pm

Mark,

Thank you for answering the USAD question; you did a good job!  You are so right about the major part in our yearly meetings is being able to help one another and share ideas.  That is worth more than anything. 

Thank you Gerry for saying that; I will always be glad I got to know you in Inverness, what a great Game you ran!  You are probably one person I know that has more energy then I do.

Lori

-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/07 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Richard Doria Richard Doria wrote:

Bring back the straw bag and I'll take back  everything I ever said about the stuupud sheaf toss.  (Like that will ever happen.)

You have a deal Rich. Tucson will have straw stuffed bags for the November games just for you!
-RP-

Clan Brown

"It's not bragging if you can do it."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/07 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Lori Henderson Lori Henderson wrote:

Thank you Gerry for saying that; I will always be glad I got to know you in Inverness, what a great Game you ran!  You are probably one person I know that has more energy then I do.

Lori

Hey Lori! Glad you liked it. I dont know how to tell you this but there is a moment in the official DVD of the Games where you are being molested at the awards ceremony in slow motion. Remember that scene in Baywatch where they were running up the beach? Well it was nothing like that. At the last count you were kissed by 32 Masters on that film... I only think your Kevin with 34 snogs beat you...... anyway roll on 2009....... I think we should have a World AD's Conference in Inverness en route to the International Gathering of the Clans and the Homecoming Highland Games in Edinburgh..... we can discuss liver transplants, hangover cures, how to survive without sleep and the correct way to batter to death anyone who tries to use the spin to lob the weight over the bar. Personally I would use the handle of a sheaf fork with three prongs because of the extra weight this generates on the backswing........

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic