Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Inver Stone Lift from Scotland Trip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inver Stone Lift from Scotland Trip
    Posted: 8/22/07 at 1:44pm

Hey guys,

When The USA team was in Scotland a few weeks ago for the Scotland vs. USA Challenge, we (McKim, Pockowski and myself) sought out the famous Inver Stone and the Dinnie Stones to lift. All three of us lifted the stone, which is egg shaped and 265lb. to shoulder level. Not being a stone lifter myself, and the day after a game, I found this to be pretty difficult, but made it. Mike made it pretty easy. Bill Kazmaier was said to have shouldered it, carried it across the street to the bar, in the mid 80's. I saw a large chip on the bar where he supposedly laid it down. Awesome experience, a cool part of Scottish and strength culture that I am now a part of. We all lifted the smaller Dinnie Stone as well (1 handed, 365lb. on a ring handle). Mike got both (the big one was 435lb.) (one in each hand) using a strap to hold on, but still a very strong feat. Mindy Pockoski lifted the larger Dinnie Stone with two hands (no straps), which weighting 165lb. is pretty impressive, one of the only women to have lifted it in history. Thought you guys might like to see it. We will have some more pics and videos up soon on the new forum, where we will be posting workouts, tips, and other cool stuff.

photo / forum

http://sorinexforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61

video

http://fitspecs.com/sorinex/movie.html

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/07 at 1:52pm
cool Bert...good luck in the amtr championships
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/07 at 3:47pm

Great lift and great experience Bert.  See you Friday evening!

Edited by Peter Ingleton
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:40pm
Sweet Bert!!

Doc Bill made some Dinnie Stone Replicas which i have lifted, and I hope to get out there and give the real thing a try one of these days.

Good Luck at the world championships!
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Deakion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deakion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/07 at 6:35pm
Nice man real nice.
Jonathan Irvin

And they shall know no fear.
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 4:36am
Did Mike lift both of the Dinnie Stones at the same time or each of them separately?  If you break both of the Dinnies off of the ground at the same time (one in each hand) and you have a picture to prove the feat, you can contact Gordon Dinnie and he will post the lift on his Donald Dinnie web-site.  He is a descendant of Donald Dinnie and his website is www.gordondinnie.com.  Great pictures and videos, hopefully more people will be able to go and lift those stones.  Thanks for sharing. 
"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
Bert Sorin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 5:09am
Mike lifted both stones together (with straps), I have video, I will try to post and send it to Gordon. Some of the descendants of Donald were there when we were lifting the stones, and they said they were going to put his photo on the site. It was very impressive indeed. Dan and I tried the two together, no go. From what I have heard, only about 6 folks have lifted both with no straps.
In Strength and Throws,
Bert
steve748 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve748 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 6:58am

Scots Heavies Who Have Successfully Lifted Stones No Straps

Big Calum Morrison Used To Tie On 2 56Weights On Each Weight And Lift Them Without Straps,Calum Walked With Them For  About 2 Feet At Aboyne Games Challenge Some Years Ago,Gordon Martin Also Lifted Them Both Without Straps.

Anderson Steve
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 7:38am
I believe Bill Crawford lifted them without straps.  Also, most guys straddle the stones, instead of reaching down and picking them up like you would with farmers walk apparatus. 
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 8:14am
Ya but Bill Crawford can envoke the power of greyskull!!!
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 9:13am
Yes, I believe Bill Crawford's name was in the book we signed of the folks who had lifted the Inver Stone. That was pretty freaking cool too, by the way.
In Strength and Throws,
Bert
nesa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 10:56am

Bill Crawford is my hero!! I want to grow up and be just like him!!

Gargh! Stonelifting is good...make man strong as ox, but dumb as tractor...

Proud member of "Team Fulsterkur"
mike pockoski View Drop Down

Top 10 in the USA - '09-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pockoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 11:02am

This was the best part of the trip for me.  I hadn't planned on it, and it felt like an unexpected gift to be in the midst of strength-history. 

I was impressed at how hard it was to lift these stones, and at how hard we all had to work to get them up...

But I was most impressed with Mindy.  I can recall ever seeing her lift more than 165 in ANY lift.  We joke about how weak she is...  She was so frustrated and motivated by not being able to grip the Inver stone, that she made up her mind before we left the Inver hotel that she would lift the next stones because she knew they had handles... She didn't know how much they weighed until afterwards, she just decided that she would lift them no matter what...

She gave me a new perspective on determination.  She lifted it with willpower rather than any technique or strength, and i'm not sure I've ever pushed that hard.  The second dinnie stone weighed 435...over two and a half times her body weight...and she's just not strong enough to lift it with muscle.  Each lift was a slow, painful, ugly lift...and three times we made her do it to get the picture!

The whole experience was great - a memory to last a lifetime.  Next trip, we're takin' that rock to the bar!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 1:01pm

Great lifts Mike and great story.  I am just as impressed with Mindy and congratulations.

Erik Sauve is my hero!  And he still talks to me even though I didn't get record the video of him lifting the Dinnie Stones like it was his job.  (No sarcasm here, really, he is my hero). 

nesa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/07 at 1:41pm

...or video of me lifting the Dritvik stone...or video of me with my best carry of the Husefell stone. The lesson here?...don't let Dr. Marcus Whaleby video your lifts. He needs to stick with what he's good at...lifting stones!

Tattoo

"The Irish have the leprecauns, the Scandinavians have the trolls, and we have Erik..." Yeti speaks!

JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 4:55am

We lifted the stone last year and that was one of the funnest days of our trip.  The woman that "keeps" the stone had friends over that day and they came out and watched us.  They were all dressed up as they were going out to eat later.  They then invited us in and here we were, big highland games athletes sipping tea and eating cookies in our kilts with these proper scottish women.  My wife took a great picture that looks like I'm sitting in a children's chair, my knee up high, sipping out of fine china.....I look very uncomfortable.  We ate at the Potarch Inn after lifting the Dinnie Stones and I spent a good hour on the bridge.  Did you guys go in and look at the pictures of Donald Dinnie in the Inn?  There's a picture of some local guy who's supposed to be the only guy to lift them locally.  The only thing is, when I looked closely at the photo, and he has scale weights strapped to the stone making the total load over 100lbs over the stone weight, he's using STRAPS!  Heck, I could do that! HAHA  Actually, I lifted both stone.....with straps.  No way I could do that with no straps, not even with a hook grip.  Anyways, your story brought back memories. 

Thom Van Vleck
nesa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 10:05am

Yeah, I cheated and used straps...but I didn't know when I'd get the chance again so it was simple...either the stones were coming off the ground, or my arms were coming out of the socket...one or the other!

A great time either way...the Scots really take their stone lifting seriously and everyone we met treated us like royalty.

And yes...Bill is still the wind beneath my wings...

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 10:58am
Nesa & skullsplitter-shouldn't this stonelifting thing be under the "non-sense" board???next thing you know they will be trying to introduce strongman events like stone lifting into our highland games..ooopppss
JUST BRING IT /

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 11:25am
Which reminds me:  what do y'all think the stones should weigh for the lift and carry at Pipes in the Valley?  The event will involve lifting the stone from the ground (no handles:  just you and the stone) and carrying it for distance against a clock.  I'm thinking:  300 lbs for the men and 150 lbs for the ladies?

Feedback?

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 11:49am
in all seriuosness Wayne depends how dense the stone is and how wide it is..but 275-300 for men....135-175 for women
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 12:22pm

Wayne, the stone should weigh as close to 350 lbs as possible. Otherwise, it is a sprint with a small stone instead of a true test of strength.  And believe me, a crowd will be impressed when some people can't lift the stone and the best walk is a real effort to go a relatively short distance.  It's like farmers walk at some games with light implements that someone carries 600 feet.  That is not a true test of strength.

This is non-sense, but a true story.  Erik, Robert Troupe and I were doing deadlifts after a stonelifting session.  Robert deadlifts the bar and says "Hey Erik, come do some chin-ups."  Thus the nick-name Tattoo was born. 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 12:48pm
OK, I knew I'd eventually find out where that came from.

-Wayne
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Skullsplitter Skullsplitter wrote:

Wayne, the stone should weigh as close to 350 lbs as possible. Otherwise, it is a sprint with a small stone instead of a true test of strength.  And believe me, a crowd will be impressed when some people can't lift the stone and the best walk is a real effort to go a relatively short distance. 

Bill, I took this advice from you in Maine, and the athletes and crowd loved the heavy stones. I believe the words you used were "Dont be a girl use heavy stones!"

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:24pm
Well, maybe not "girl", as Terri James might find out then I'm in big trouble!  But you are right, it's like a caber.  If everybody is flipping the heck out of it, it really doesn't separate out the best caber tossers.  Same thing with the stones. 
BRUTUS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRUTUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:24pm

francis pressing the inver stone

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 2:30pm
OK, now I know you got Dr. Bill's attention with that shot.

So, let's see:  how many people have pressed the Inver Stone...

-Wayne
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:09pm
OLD TRIVIA QUESTION.....LETS START A NEW QUESTION..WHO WILL BE THE 4TH IN HISTORY???????I HAVE A GOOD GUESS HE WILL BE FROM NEW ENGLAND HMMMMMMMM
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:13pm
Four.  A.A. Cameron, Kaz, Hamish Davidson, Francis Brebner. David Webster is sure that A.A. Cameron pressed the stone in the 1920's. 
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/07 at 3:14pm
Ok before people get the wrong idea..I love the highland games-don't mind an extra event with a heavy stone.(also enjoy lifting stones for fun) but hope it doesn't creep into the sport as a scoring event or a couple of strongman events...highland games are highland games..strongman is strongman-please don't mix/make them a hybrid
JUST BRING IT /

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/07 at 12:50pm

by the way, I finally got up the link of us lifting (or trying to lift) the Dinnie Stones. Notice the photo of Mindy Pockoski two handing the larger stone (as Mike commented on earlier.) Pretty amazing.

Enjoy.

http://sorinexforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=74

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic