Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

On line Registration Form Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On line Registration Form Question
    Posted: 12/05/07 at 1:04am

Does anyone have any insite on how to do an on-line registration form? I would like to avoid needing to chase down signatures at the games, so I will do a pre-reg like last year but it would be better to do it on line. Save the tree's for cabers.

But if I am going to have to have a pen and ink signature for the hold harmless I would just assume not go thought he hassles of an on line registration form.

Any thoughts?

Leroy (AD for the Maine Highland Games...)

Leroy McDonough
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 1:35am
The online registration is a good idea.  Could always check with the folks down as Masa as that's how they do it.  As there is a registration fee, why not state in the application that the signed check is will cover the waiver?
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 1:52am
Your lawyer or insurance company is going to probably
want a signature, so if your only motivation is to avoid
collecting signatures, don't bother. We do online
registration in MASA because we need to pre-register -
we need to know how many people are coming for planning
purposes, and we can't always accommodate everyone who
wants to throw (due to field size, equipment and
judges), even though we (well, mostly Dave McKenzie)
have done a hell of a lot to expand throwing
opportunities. If you're going to pre-register anyway,
doing it online is much easier for both organizers and
athletes.

One option, that we don't do enough of here but is
fairly simple to do, is to register and collect athlete
info online, then pre-print waiver forms with the
athlete's personal info already filled out, so you only
need a signature. You can also collect info for
announcers, t-shirt sizes, etc.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 5:28am

The advantage of having on line registration is that everything is in an electronic format - If you have more than 20 throwers, hand entering the data is time consuming.  

The web page with Online registration sends an email to you with the registration information in a form similar to the following:

first = Herman
Last = Munster
Address = 1616 Mockingbird Lane
City = Krugerville
State = WI
Zip = 54911
Phone = 555-555-5555
Age = 32
Email = Herman@Throwers.com
emergencycontact = Lillie Munster
EmergencyPhone = 555-555-1234
EmergencyRelationship = wife
Class = A
Tshirt = 2XL
Braemar = 24
Open = 31
LWFD = 54
HWFD = 38
WOB = 14
Sheaf = 26
BirthState = AK
Yearofbirth = 1975
occupation = Funeral Director
Favorite Event = HWFD
Least Favorite Event = Braemar

It is easy to populate excel spreadsheets from this formatted data to build (which echos what Adam already stated):

(1) Judges scoring sheets - Score sheets for each event has throwers names 

(2) division total sheets --

(3) athletic pass list for the gate

(4) labels for T-shirts (name and size) - T-shirts are rolled and rubber banded w/ label (using big font include name, size, and class) - makes for easy distribution of shirts on games day 

(5) Announcer fact sheets - broken down by division; if you ask for "bio" info beyond the basic throwing info, this will give announcer something to talk about -- I also keep pictures of throwers so that I insert a picture next to each throwers "bio" to help announcer identify thrower  

(6) Wavier sign off sheets (have throwers name and spot to sign next to name so you can also use as check in sheet and do not have to read the person signature)

(7) labels for envelopes containing each throwers medals won.  

(8) Throwers /Emergency Contact list for games day

all of which saves time and mostly saves you a made rush on the morning of the games.

-----------------------

I also agree that one should have a waiver signed the day of the games when using on line registration (CoverYourAss) is used.  

I use geocities which is free with a yahoo account.  It was easy to set up.  Google does not provide form service with their free webpages.

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 7:36am

Originally posted by agm_ agm_ wrote:

Your lawyer or insurance company is going to probably want a signature, so if your only motivation is to avoid collecting signatures, don't bother. 

I bet you are right on with this...

Originally posted by agm_ agm_ wrote:

One option, that we don't do enough of here but is fairly simple to do, is to register and collect athlete info online, then pre-print waiver forms with the athlete's personal info already filled out, so you only
need a signature. You can also collect info for announcers, t-shirt sizes, etc.

Ok.. I see the point for doing both, online and a signed form. I like this approach. So, not it goes back to how do I do an online form. Any free sites that are reliable? Do I need to learn HTML?

Thanks for your help.

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 7:38am

McSanta, thanks for the info... I will look into setting up a site for a form and then linking to it.

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 9:56am
It can be very simple, or very complicated, or somewhere
in the middle.

On the simple end - just ask people to email you, and
tell them what information to include. Then do whatever
you want with the info.

A slightly more structured route: Most ISPs will have
some kind of script that will take data from a form and
send you an email similar to what was described above,
with the label for each field and the content. This has
the advantage of consistent formatting, which is easier
to import into a spreadsheet, etc.

The MASA setup uses a database. Since we have several
games throughout the year, athletes can create a profile
for themselves once, and then when signing up for each
games, just pick their name from a list, indicate which
class they're registering for, enter a password and
they're done. Their info is automatically pulled from
their profile. I get a formatted email, but that's just
because I'm paranoid and want a backup. From the
database, Mike, who handles the actual registration, can
pull the preliminary list, generate a waiting list if
necessary, handle withdrawals, duplicate entries, etc.
Although I don't do much with it, I can generate any
kind of report we might need, whether in fixed form
(sign-up sheets, etc.) or as a spreadsheet if people
want to play around with the data. It's the most
flexible option, but you need someone who knows what
they're doing (HTML, databases, etc.).
Kilted Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 10:33am
Leroy, you should talk to Wally (wallyworld) he does the North American Championships in Enumclaw, WA and they have a good on line registration process for Athletes. Cheers Karyn
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 11:30am
We've been using phpFormGenerator for our games.  We then export the database to an Excel file, we we then use to populate a release form via mail merge.  Come game day, The athlete need only review the info & sign.  Very efficient.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/07 at 2:16pm
No wonder my ears were burning!!

Originally posted by Kilted Canuck Kilted Canuck wrote:

you should talk to Wally,.. they have a good on line registration process...

Taking no credit on my part, we use a system called "Sprog" for electronic entries and a downloadable PDF form that can be mailed in.  Unfortunately, this will be the last year that Sprog will be available.  They've gone bankrupt.

l'd like to say that you can view the Sprog form at our web site but it's only visible online from April 1st to June 15th.  The PDF form is there to see at any time.  Our site is www.sshga.org/games/competitorInfo/athletics.htm

l assume that one could set their site up so that a form similar to ours could be filled out and then emailed back and the signature added and the entry fee collected when the athlete checks in.  l think, however, that you'd be experiencing a lot of "no shows" because, with no vested interest in the entry, one could send in a form whether they planned to show up or not!
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/07 at 4:36am

I have seen AD's address the "no shows" problem by a couple of different methods or combinations of methods (which I am sure most have also seen) :

(1) by stating "registrations are not final and spots will not be guaranteed until money is received" .   This type of approach will only work for games that fill up. 

(2) by charging a late fee if registration is not paid in advance of the games day.  Thus will reduce the "no shows" but may also reduce the number who will throw because the late fee may price your event out of the market place.

(3) by not guaranteeing a t-shirt in the desired size if registration money is not received by a given date.

AD can also set up a paypal account and allow people to pay on line which will cost the games a couple of dollars per registration.  Not sure if I will continue to do this.

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/07 at 11:35am
The Paypal thing's not a bad idea.  I was thinking of implementing it in future registration if the group'll go for it.  The fee is 2.9% + 0.30, which isn't too bad.  It all boils down to how much a hit is too much.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/07 at 4:51pm

Well, thanks everyone. We will be waiving the fee for athletes this year as the athletes without a doubt are a large part of the entertainment. (Thanks Bruce!!)

I will try to get an on-line form, but if not I like the idea of printing off pre made forms and just getting a signature.

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic