Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Sheaf drills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgriffis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheaf drills
    Posted: 3/10/05 at 3:41am
Does anyone have any unique drills that they use that have helped their sheaf toss?
Deakion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deakion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/05 at 1:45am

Good question man Im not sure on what helps and what dont, could we get a "Coach" up on this one..?

Jonathan Irvin

And they shall know no fear.
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/05 at 5:22am

*** note***  I am not a coach although I play one on TV..HAHA

I would assume that with the sheaf it would be similar training as the WOB event training.  It is most closely realted to a hang clean(kind of)   where it is key to explode from a power position leading with the hips and legs then the upper body is passive and mainly giudes the motion..  In talking to RYan V it seems that he has found Jump shrugs(please check with him on this) for WOB and I bet that would be great for the sheaf as well..

I do know a few athletes who do some "sheap" drills but I do not even want to go there>>>>

Coach Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/05 at 5:05am
YES...no...maybe...I would say that the sheaf is pretty
un-usual to say the least.   

The posture needed to produce a LONG radius
would require you to cover the bar (with your
shoulders) on your pulls as FAR out over your knee's
as possible WITHOUT losing the integrety of the
natural low back arch.

We try to teach it as a PUSH (rt side) and PULL left
side for a right handed thrower...!

I KNOW that working with heavier bags pre-season
and a 10% reduced bag weight in -season would be
productive...!

TRAIN smarter...not HARDER !!!
Have a GREAT Day !
Rob " Coach Mac " Mac Kay
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/05 at 6:51am
Coach...  what type of drills could help to get into the power position for the spin on the sheaf..  Is it the same as all other events to get into the power position or different..  For me I have a hard time not letting the bag get away from my body????
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/05 at 8:32am
Of you could be Greg and go THROUGH your body 
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/05 at 9:54am
Beesch should be forced to use that image as his avatar. What a classic picture.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/05 at 11:12am

It has been sad not seeing Greg and the scar at our practices,,,   he has a JOB....  what is his problem....  like that should really be a priority..  I suppose he is going to spend time with his family next....    HHAHAHAHAHAAAA,,  He and I are thinking of crashing the KC games even though we wont qualify and make a scene about how good we are...  I am sure that will work.,.....   NOT..  

But yes  the puncture wound was awesome..  I loved it as John Patton and I were throwing WFD about 50 yards from him and all i see is him holding his knee..  thinking he threw his back out or something...  until I see the fork is part of that knee and blood coming down his leg...  THen the even better phone call to his wife to ask her to please meet us at the hospital to pick him up....  Classic highland games oractice moment...

On that note what are other throwers best practice stories>??????

brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/05 at 11:48am
HA!  I made dave rathbun call my wife when I blew the patellar tendon. It was my first practice back after being fully released from my shoulder surgery 2 weeks earlier 
jluidl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jluidl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/05 at 10:49am
Break it down into its components parts.  If you do the flick, then its pretty easy.  The best drill is the throw itself.  Use different size bags from 16 - 24 lbs., but remember to use the competition weight at the end of your session.  I also suggest dry runs standing on 2 2"x4"s nailed together - beam drills.

If you use the spin break is into two parts.  The entry - spin part - and the power position, which is the standard flick.  You can use dry runs to practice the spin and the other two drills to practic the finish.  You will also have to practice the actual throw in full with weight.  Don't get to carried away with drills, they have there place.  The actual throw is the best thing to do.
K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/05 at 2:43pm

Brian, I know I owe you an email on this topic. Being lazy, but I will get back to you on it.

One thing I have to disagree with is the use of heavy bags; that's a dangerous exercise and unneeded. If you practice with a heavy bag and it feels like it's not tearing your arm off, then you're not violent enough with the bag to begin with. Work five points with the standing sheaf:

1) Always practice with a bag 2 lbs lighter than in competition. That's a Satchwell trick. You'll get more throws in, and believe me, you can't tell the difference once in competition.
2) With arms perfectly straight, swing the fork back as far as you can, then get it back six more inches. This means putting your chin well into your left shoulder on backswing. My backswing forces me to jump into the air a bit. Never bend your arms!
3) Dip the knees and drive the bag into your right foot. By the time the bag is speeding to the center position, your body will counter by trying to extend or stand up. You're going into the high pull phase, and the bag is moving in a V pattern instead of an arc. This is a Karl Dodge trick.
4) Before coming up on your toes, bring hip pop into play by locking down the left leg. Now you are countering the bag and rotating/driving your hips in the direction of the bag at the same time. Think exaggerated hip shove like Tiger does when he drives a golf ball.
5) Most importantly, the standing throw is a perfect mix smoothness and absolute violence. Practice a flowing technique like sheaf kung fu, but think in your head that you're going to rip the burlap bag right off the sheaf.

Tim Pinkerton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/05 at 4:45pm

Just something to try...

Do a one arm dumbbell clean (or snatch) with the dumbbell held on the outside of your thigh. (Think of the DB as being the forked end of the pitchfork) Quickly lower the dumbbell down to about knee level and then explode back up quickly as possible with knee and hip extension and a violent shrug.  You should end it like a snatch with the lighter weights if you are quick enough.  

This is merely an exercise to do in the weight room though and is not by any means going to be the meat of your sheaf training but it is a good way to vary the weight and speed with out sacrificing your form.  It is simply strengthening the specific muscles of the action without using the action itself.  This way you can develop strength but not at the expence of your form or technique. 

"Big ain't Strong...Strong is Strong."
Visit our training page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Get-U-Fit-Training-Systems/ 119414814828174
Larry Satchwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Satchwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/05 at 12:38am

K-Monster,

You are a very good student!

JISurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JISurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/05 at 1:16am
Do Hang Cleans and Hang Snatches.  Works for me.
eh...
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/05 at 1:17am
I can hear Satch now (yoda voice) ....ummmmm learned much you have my young padwan....
Mike Wills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/05 at 2:44am
Kearney that was the best description of the sheaf I have ever seen!
K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/05 at 3:46am
Satch is a great coach, and I'm sure glad I've had him as a resource over the years. What's also **very** important is that Satch provides good visual cues to back up the explanation when he's throwing, no matter what the event. The concept of the perfect mix of smooth, flowing technique and violence in the sheaf is pure Satchwell.
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/05 at 5:25am
Thank you for the great explanation..  I feel the need to move to the spin as I have been whoooooped to many times now by that tech.  I have a hard time getting to the power position with the sheaf still back..  Any ideas??is it similar to the Spin WOB ??  I think I need to make my spin smaller in area covered and more up and down???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/05 at 6:29am

Ryan,

The mistake most make when trying to spin with the sheaf is that they cast the sheaf around in a circle.  When you cast the sheaf, cast it in a straight line towards the standards.  Leave it hanging there.  You then spin yourself (not the sheaf) into position.  This will put you in a position to throw with the bag still high and tightly wrapped.  At this point follow the rest of Kearney's tips.  As you get the technique down you can then work on increasing the speed that you spin with.  You will develop a stronger stretch reflex with the added speed and it will increase your throwing height.  Becareful of those around you as you reach this "terminal velocity".  Sometimes the bag comes off....sometimes.

Oh ya, another point.  Do NOT stab the fork through you knee at this "terminal velocity".  You may not be as...uh...lucky, as Greg.

Visit our training page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Get-U-Fit-Training-Systems/ 119414814828174
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 5:01am

Finally Greg has a clear advantage ...  as he and I share the inablilty to create such velocity and keeping us safe from danger..  

Thanks Tim...  How is your shoulder holding up???Are you going to throw in KC this year.?

Tedd Van Vleck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedd Van Vleck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 5:20am
Tim, Could you go into more detail on the part between casting and starting your throw. What I mean is, I am standing there facing the standard. I cast the sheaf toward the standard and spin into the power position. I have only tried the spin a handfull of times but the sheaf is sliding down the fork before I even start my pull so by the time I checkmark it and start up it is flying straight off to the side. So I know I need to tweek something in the time that I cast up and turn the fork to start down. Keep in mind, I am fat, unflexible and slow. Which may play a small part in this.
Its always too early to quit, but never too late to start
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 7:01am
All I can say on this thread is this....there are TWO 32+' STANDING Throwers posting. 1 holds a WR, the other has held it at various times.  MAYBE...you should heed what they are saying and max out before trying to spin?

Just a suggestion.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedd Van Vleck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 9:14am

Brandall, I appreciate you. I can always count on you to get all pissed off anytime someone doesn't think exactly like you do. Listen, I apologize that the Burchett boys are doing so well in your old weight class and I understand that since they are spinning, at least you can deny them the outright WOB record. However, can I just ask some questions. Tim does happen to train with Sean Betz who happens to do "OK" with the spin on the WOB and sheaf. 

Now, after saying that, as much as I am shocked, stunned and staggered at this, I do agree with you on some points. For instance, the 190 weight class moving up to at least 200. Even if they go to 220, I will never drop down, so again, this doesn't effect me in anyway but it seems silly that most games will have 20-30 over 190 throwers and then 5-10 190's. I also understand about your point on the Heavy Hammer since we are in the same area and I don't do too many games that has a heavy hammer. That is just like the west coast not doing the sheaf as often.

Lastly, I was actually hoping on here because after my post asking Tim about the spin, I went out to my brothers and threw the sheaf and what Kearney said up there, (I assume K-Monster) I went out and that helped me tremendously so Kearney, you do not know me but thanks, the way you described things clicked with me and I honestly went out and throwing the 20# sheaf was throwing about 1 foot higher than I have been the last few practices and on 2 throws really caught it and looked like I went up about 2 feet farther than I had been. I really appreciate your comments they helped a great deal. I am not using the spin on the sheaf but I am spinning on the WOB and can throw about 6 inches higher using the spin. I practice both and fortunately I suck so bad that neither way will make me competitive but I am keeping PR's in contest for both ways.

Brandall, I understand your stance on people spinning and it making you angry, and teenagers tearing up the lightweight class, and even when you got all pissed off because a pastor can't afford the "popular" crowds expensive kilts and wants to make sure the Sport Kilt is OK. (That just confirmed my thought that you were that popular kid in school that made fun of the kids that there parents couldn't afford the expensive clothes. However, could you try and at least see other peoples points. This is a message board so people can get other perspectives and other peoples points, you should start a Brandall board for people to go to so they can learn what to believe and how to think the Brandall way.

You know Brian, probably half of my quotes on this board are to argue with you. I enjoy it and I hope you do to.

brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 9:35am
LMAO Boy you crack me up. This is twice now you thought a post of mine was directed at you. No.

As for the Burchetts, I don't have an issue with them. Never have. I did have an issue of someone trying to suggest (Again not the burchetts) that a WR be allowed without weigh in. I may be the most vocal former lightweight on this board, but believe me many were pissed off at the idea. Until you have to drop the weight and work to keep it off so you can throw where you like to, you wouldn't understand.

I say congrats to them. They are the only ones to step up and try to put up numbers like Kevin henderson and I were putting up in 99 and 00. It is good to see someone actually give a shit enough about the division to work their asses off at it. Good for them!

As for the rest of your lecture, No I am not rich, Never grew up rich. Garage Sales and Walmart were the norm in my family. I have EARNED everything I have in life.

So long story short, you are wrong about me on all counts. That said, I will stand by my statement, there are two sheaf studs that have tried to part great info. Take it, leave it whatever.

K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 1:02pm

Guys, let us have fun with our strange endeavors together. I've had a few good throws with the spin, and in the first part of 2003 I had it cranking pretty good all the way up to 31'. But it just got too erratic for me and I haven't been able to get the magic back. The spin is a great technique, but the trade-offs and comparisons may end up being a lot like comparing the glide and the full spin shot.

The full spin has more potential, but even after all these years, it's still erratic. The show at the 2004 Olympics was just about as pathetic as it gets. Just like the glide, the standing sheaf puts one at a disadvantage, but it lets you hit the positions a lot more reliably throw after throw. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedd Van Vleck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 1:11pm
Kearney, I agree. I haven't done the spin very much, I'm fairly even on the heights I hit with both but I can hit my top height 7 out of 10 times standing but probably only 5 out of 10 on the spin and so for now I am focusing on the stand but your points above helped alot today when I threw and I am looking forward to going back to my brothers this weekend and trying it again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 4:23pm

Originally posted by Tedd Van Vleck Tedd Van Vleck wrote:

Tim, Could you go into more detail on the part between casting and starting your throw. What I mean is, I am standing there facing the standard. I cast the sheaf toward the standard and spin into the power position. I have only tried the spin a handfull of times but the sheaf is sliding down the fork before I even start my pull so by the time I checkmark it and start up it is flying straight off to the side. So I know I need to tweek something in the time that I cast up and turn the fork to start down. Keep in mind, I am fat, unflexible and slow. Which may play a small part in this.

Tedd,

I guess I did forget to mention what direction I am facing when I throw the sheaf, that's kind of needed.  When I lead into the cast my left shoulder (the side of the fork holding the bag) is closest to the standards.  That is how I am able to cast the bag "toward the standards" without casting in a circle.  Try not to cast the bag to far out though.  There is a happy medium between casting the bag "out" and casting it "up".

Usually if the bag is sliding off it is due to too much time between the set up and the on coming torque or the bag is not "wrapped" enough.  Once you get the cast down you will find that this issue of the bag falling off the fork is completely be eliminated.  I am finding describing this is much harder than showing it.  If I'm not being clear...tell me.

If you could see it that would be great.  I had tried it a couple of times but it wasn't until I saw Sean do it that it finally clicked.  I can't remember if Thom knows how to spin or not but if he could give you an example it is much easier after you have seen it!  I guess Thom will be biased though.  He, like Kearney, uses the stand, and for good reason! It works better for them.  Can you blame them?  I'd use what ever works better too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by seckmrl seckmrl wrote:

Finally Greg has a clear advantage ...  as he and I share the inablilty to create such velocity and keeping us safe from danger..  

Thanks Tim...  How is your shoulder holding up???Are you going to throw in KC this year.?

Ah...to throw.  I wish I could.  My wife is 27 weeks along with our triplets right now so they could be showing up anywhere between 1 and 9 weeks from now.  The later the better!  Once they come though, well I'm sure you understand.  This computer is about the closest I'll come to the Games this year.  Next year should be better hopefully. 

The shoulder is 100% though, thanks for asking.  I seems like coming back from an injury is the name of these games.  Now I just need to get back to the games.

You're going to KC, right?  Even if you have to qualify you should make the cut.  Your outlook is need there to, uh, keep it real...of course.

K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/05 at 6:04pm
Wow, congratulations, Tim. You will be a rich man, but you will be in for a shock. Love my twins, but I've never done anything so challenging, and I only do 1/4 of the work. The end result has been twice the reward, though. My wife is the hero in this project. May I suggest you check into your local Moms of Multiples group. They do a great job with support.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/05 at 12:56am

Thanks Kearney.  Good to see another man-o-multiples is still throwing.  It seems like what you are saying is the norm.  Most say that though it will be three times the work, it is also three times the reward. Hopefully my other two kids will be able to help.  They are both very good kids and are very excited for their new brother and sisters.

We have been in touch with the local Omaha Multiples group and they have a good set up.  They even have an anual "multiples" garage sale.  Let me know if you've got any more tips.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic