Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Formerly: Games cancelled in 2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formerly: Games cancelled in 2009
    Posted: 1/26/09 at 5:10am

Well, we've clearly gone off course.  Debate away in this thread now....

Gamecock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamecock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/09 at 1:14pm
WOW! they are just falling left and right. I'm sadden by this. I look forward to throwing in the south this year.
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/09 at 1:58pm

Oh Jesus

Sorry to hear about the Games going down guys.

It is a real worry

A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/09 at 5:24pm
The festival's are going down.  Games can & will continue as long as we're willing to get together to throw.  Just be more work, is all.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/09 at 4:47am

First of all, these are the times when we all need to volunteer to help.  Go and volunteer to help or at least show up early to help and stay late to help.  Volunteers make the game work. 

I agree that many festivals are going down and that is leading to more "stand alone" games.  I know that there are a certain segment of our community that hate these types of game and think they are "back yard" affairs, but in tough times, you make tough choices. For example:

My understanding is that St. Louis is not having their full festival this year, but the local athletes will hold an "athletics only" games in Sept. 

A new games on the radar is Omaha.  They have a festival there and have had for years, they are ADDING athletics this year so a new one on the radar.  BUT, this will be run by NAHA the new strongman/HG hybrid.  Purists may hate this, but if it draws a crowd and makes people come back.....

Volunteer!  Offer to help in some way!  That will go the fartherest to make these games work out. 

Thom Van Vleck
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 7:50am

Interview with NAHA Co-Founder D.J. Satterfield

By Phil Stevens

PS: When the name D.J. Satterfield comes up I'm never quite sure what to expect. I'm only sure it's going to be something of overall quality, excitement and possibly just a wee bit crazy. I have had the pleasure to workout with, compete with, and learn from D.J. the past few years.

D.J. is an accomplished athlete in his own right, Competing and excelling in varied disciplines from power lifting, to strongman, from stair races to highland games. Not only a competitor, D.J. is also the state chair of numerous strength sport organizations and therefore host of multiple high quality events every year.

D.J. that short intro doesn't do you or what you've accomplished justice and been a part of. Take a second to tell us a bit about yourself.

DJ:
First off, thank you very much for the kind words.

I am 44yrs. old, married with 4 children and started competing in raw power lifting back in 1999. I had some decent success in it but had it in my mind to try strongman when I was approached by Joe Secord about competing in a meet he was promoting in 2002. I fell in love with it right away.

While continuing to compete in power lifting, I qualified for Strongman Master Nationals in 2004. After finishing 6th out of 19 it was really the meet that showed me I belonged. In 2006, I kicked things in high gear and was determined to place top 3 at Master Nationals.

I began traveling to Iowa and Missouri to train with some of my friends (accomplished strongmen), I was really on a mission. It all paid off with the highlight of my career as I won Nationals that year in the LW Masters division.

Following that year I had some injuries which resulted in surgery. This is when I got involved in promoting strongman and power lifting. Hosting successful meets from the local to the national level.

Finally last year, my son and I started competing in Highland Games. We really took a liking to it and some decent success. Then recently I was approached by a friend, Sean Betz, to help him with atlas stone training for a competition he was going to in Scotland, the Highlander.

PS:
I'm guessing this is where you got the idea to start NAHA, as a new strength sport here in the States. Can you tell us a bit about that?

DJ: Yes, I really liked the concept of the mixing of strongman and highland games. The concept had been in the back of my mind for awhile, I then had this great epiphany, to start the North American Highlander Association, Inc. My friend/sponsorship coordinator that helps me with promoting, Richard Vincent, is my partner in this venture.

PS:
So NAHA events are a mix of strongman and highland games. What is it about this combo that struck you as unique and something that could work as a federation and draw athletes? What does a NAHA meet consist of?

DJ: After competing in strongman and highland games myself, I gained an appreciation for both sports and saw where this would be a great combination. You have the overall strength aspect of strongman and the athletic throwing of highland games. To me, it is the ultimate test in strength and athleticism.

NAHA competitions consist of half strongman and half highland games events. This is a prerequisite for all competitions. Contests have either a total of 4, 6 or 8 events. The strongman events will consist of what everyone is accustomed to, ie: log press, farmers, stones, yoke, loading, truck pull, etc. and some other unique events.

The highland games portion must consist of any of the std. 9 highland game events, ie: light weight for distance, heavy weight for distance, light hammer throw, heavy hammer throw, open stone put, Braemar stone put, sheaf toss, weight over bar and caber.

PS:
Sounds like a hell of a combination DJ. So level with us, what is the goal of NAHA, and what athletes are you looking to attract? Do you look at NAHA as a replacement for the existing highland and strongman federations currently in place, or as another option for athletes?

DJ:
The goal of NAHA is to provide a new and exciting option for strength athletes.
We want to become a premier amateur organization that has the athlete in our best interest. We are in no way trying or wanting to be competition to the current strongman and highland games organizations. I cannot emphasize this enough, we are our own entity. We look forward to working with both of those groups and sending people their way that may be interested in only those sports.

As far as what athletes we are looking to attract. All. Amateur, pro, male, female, etc. Anyone who wants to compete in a very athlete-friendly environment.

PS:
Nice I look forward to seeing what's to come from the organization and possibly trying my hand at an event or possibly hosting one. Where can people find out more information about the upcoming events? What's on the NAHA docket so far for 2009?

DJ: Check out our website at www.nahighlander.com It has all the information on how to become a member, upcoming contests, rules, about us, etc. Also on our website, you can check on the forum link, to see what all the latest news is. We have teamed up with Team Staley Training Systems and their forum.

http://teamstaley.com/forumdisplay.php?f=284

We look forward to seeing everyone out on the field in 2009 and appreciate all the positive responses we have received.

PS:
Thanks for sharing a few minutes with us D.J. Filling us in on NAHA as well taking the time to talk about your career and success you've had to this point . I know I for one will be following NAHA and look forward to competing aside you all again in the near future.

Stay strong.

----------------------------------------------

AND THEN I LOOK AT THE RULE BOOK

10. All competitors are recommended to wear a kilt, though they are not required.

YOU KNOW WHAT - I FIND THE USE OF THE TERM HIGHLANDER KIND OF OFFENSIVE IF THE KILT IS NOT MANDATORY

A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 8:25am
Gerry, first of all, DJ and I have discussed this issue and thought that at least for the time being it wouldn't be mandatory, but I guarentee you that once this gets off the ground that bigger meets it will be mandatory and I would hope eventually it would be required at all meets.  The idea is that initially there will be a lot of strongmen do this as a one time deal and at least in my area the economy is not so hot and I can't see asking these guys to invest in a kilt until they are sure they are going to stick with it.  To be honest, I have made the kilt optional for my C class athletes for years at the Kirksville Games and maybe, just maybe 5% have not worn a kilt and usually the next time they come they've invested in one.  Maybe your comment was more tongue in cheek and didn't require this long response, if so, my apologies.  I don't always catch the inflection. 
Thom Van Vleck
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 8:37am
Yeah, no un-kilted athletes and no english! 
Big Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 9:58am

Well I for one am happy that my festival board gave me a bigger budget.  The entry will be up soon on the website at ww.sahga.org or just email me at edcosner@hotmail.com

Got a new one this year with having the C class guys go through a 2 hour seminar with James Parman before competing..this is at no additional charge to them.  Gonna cover the basics and rules so there will be no need to help them once the competition starts!!

D.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 10:23am

First of all, I don't know how one of my interviews landed in the "Games Cancelled" thread, but with that said, Thom has hit the nail on the head. It comes down to simple economics.

Guys/Gals(newcomers and strongman competitors) that are going to try the highlander meets, to see if they like them, are not going to need an additional $75-$200 kilt investment. For us to require all athletes to wear a kilt would be like us to require all athletes to wear Rehband equipment, like the strongman competitors. We are equal and are not going to favor one over the other.

And like Thom stated, it is our hope and plan, that when things are up and going and have grown like we plan, everyone will be wearing kilts.

D.J.

North American Highlander Association, Inc.
www.nahighlander.com
Trainerterry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trainerterry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/09 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by D.J. D.J. wrote:

For us to require all athletes to wear a kilt would be like us to require all athletes to wear Rehband equipment, like the strongman competitors. We are equal and are not going to favor one over the other.

D.J.

that is an aweful analogy

"A man has to know his limitations" - Detective Harold Callahan
D.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 2:51am

Terry,

Awful or not, you get my point. Why should we favor one side of our sport over the other?

What everyone fails to realize is that we are a stand-alone sport. We are not trying to mimc or copy the highland games or strongman. We are a combination. If we were trying to be another HG or SM, then the rules, guidelines, etc. would be completely different.

North American Highlander Association, Inc.
www.nahighlander.com
=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 5:01am

I totally understand where you're coming from in not wanting a newbie to spend money on a kilt until they know they are going to stick with it, but football players wear football uniforms and it is called Highlander...

JaysonTisdale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaysonTisdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 8:36am

Allow me to put my $0.02 in here.

The games in Gulfport, Mississippi decided to have Pros last year (2008).  Imagine the scare we had when the market decided to drop just a month or two before our games in November.

To my surprise, our gate attendance was DOUBLE that of the previous year and the inclusion of the Pros encouraged massive positive comments from the general public.  So much feedback from the average patron on top of the loving words from my group of Pros prompted the Games Committee to extend my budget to allow a women's flight, two more Pros along with more perks for my athletes.

The only explanation I can offer as to why our games are not only continuing but expanding is that of enthusiasm.  Show your local Games Committees that you are excited to participate and even better would be to volunteer your time to help make things possible.  If you are excited about the games, others are likely to become excited also.  It's contagious

Many of you throwers just don't understand the massive planning and man-power needed to put on a festival.  The term 'It takes a village' seems inadequate sometimes.  You really need to get involved if you want games to keep happening.  If you don't, then there is nobody to blame but yourself.

Get out there and get your community stirred up about the games and you won't have the Festival committees so scared to spend money on what we all know is a great time to be had by all.

God Bless!

Jayson Tisdale
Phone: 228-860-5642
Jayson.Tisdale@Gmail.com
www.Facebook.com/KaptainKilt
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 9:27am

Wearing my Games Secretary's / A.D.'s hat - I have to say that Jayson has really hit the nail on the head.

On of the major challenges facing Highland Games / Festivals / Community today is that we are starting to see the retirement of the baby boomers.

Before we talk about the credit crunch and the impact that will have upon the sponsorship of Highland Games, we need to reflect upon the fact that here in Scotland - Highland Games are being squeezed on three sides.

1. The Committee stalwarts are not being replaced

2. The Heavies are not being replaced

3. The Judges are not being replaced  

We are going to face shortages in each of those areas quicker than you think and we have to start thinking about what we are going to do.

One point regarding the recession. We need to get the message out that this could be one of the best years ever for us to design our Games to appeal to our LOCAL COMMUNITIES. If people are not going away on vacation or are looking to entertain their kids cheaply - Highland Games can be an attractive day out.

All the latest research indicates that families are looking for active experiences instead of passive ones - so anything that you can stage which the kids can take part in will give you a massive advantage.

------------------------------------------------------------ --

With regard to the Highlander name - I do feel strongly that the kilt should be worn.

Anyone who says that they cannot afford a kilt should be allowed to buy one with their membership card and pay it off in installments.

I think it was Hannibal that said " If we cannot find a way. We will create one". I do not buy into the poverty excuse

That is just an opinion but the day that we start forgetting where you come from is the day that you will forget where you are going.

WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/09 at 1:08pm
+1 to both Jason and Gerry!

Games need to be thinking positively instead of running scared!  Cutting back (or
worse yet, postponing for a year) is like a self-fulfilling prophesy.  As a trustee in
the association that puts on the Games at Enumclaw, WA (the Claw), l went to
our recent budget meeting expecting to hear a bunch of sniveling about having to
cut back.  l had a speech in my head about how cutting back was a self-fulfilling
prophesy.  To my surprise, for once everyone was on the same page.  Not only
did we not cut back, we bumped our budget up a little!
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/09 at 3:57am

Well, I guess my final word on the kilt is that, while I have three of them and I love to wear mine, when I was in Scotland I never saw a single Scot wearing one outside of the festival, and most at the festival weren't wearing one, and the kilt we wear today is not what our ancestors wore but a modern vestige of it.  I can wear a yarmulke and it don't make me Jewish (even if I am circumscised). 

I live in an area where a blue collar or a green collar (farmer) is the norm and if you tell these boys the first thing they need to do is put on a kilt they will kick your ass.  It ain't Scotland where the kilt is ingrained in the psyche.  I had the owner of a local autobody shop tell me that he refused to sponsor my event for several years JUST because of the kilt.  But once we got him on board (his surname is Scottish, but he's about 10 generations removed from the "old country") he now owns a kilt and wore it in a local parade recently and literally LOVES it.  By the way, he drag races and owns a harley and looks like he belongs in one.  Once I won him over, I won over half the town.  I have to pick my battles and my objective is to win the war.  Kilts are important, but they don't make you Scottish.  The kilt CAN be the outward sign that you have bought into it and I bet I've been responsible for at least a hundred purchases.  You wait and see, I think that this Highlander stuff is going to draw a whole new layer to the Scottish Games and Sport kilt should give me a commission.  BTW, I'm coming to Inverness and I think it is was a Fantastic experience in 2006.  I can't afford to come, but I'm coming and I'm bringing my KILT! 

Thom Van Vleck
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/09 at 4:00am
Wear the kilt or go throw track and field.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/09 at 4:01am

Delighted you are coming over - i will alert the local breweries to increase their production.

Totally accept where you are coming from with the kilt by the way. Get them involved THEN work your magic is an acceptable plan B.

cstclair View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/09 at 5:36am
Originally posted by brandell brandell wrote:

Wear the kilt or go throw track and field.

my 2 cents
Been to a couple of TF competitions  and Highland games as well. I noticed a lot of difference between them beside just what the athletes were wearing.

Another thought. Weren't kilts banned at one point? Would forcing people to wear them not be viewed as the same thing?

St.Clair
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/09 at 10:10am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Well, we've clearly gone off course.  Debate away in this thread now....

LMAO +1

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic