Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Once a year - For a Cause

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Once a year - For a Cause
    Posted: 8/20/09 at 8:27am

It seems like once a year I do something nutty for a good cause.. Well this year is no different.

I posted something about this in the Nonsense forum a few months back.. but it's coming up in just over 7 weeks..

I know that it's not TECHNICALLY highland games related.. But I think it is.. Since I'm a HG athlete.. and I'm doing it..

On October 10th I will be running a half Marathon in Hartford CT for the American Cancer Society

If anyone is interested in donating I've included my fundraising link.
http://www.active.com/donate/09AmericanCancerSoci/masonrunsh alf

For anyone who is interested in more details about the half marathon (or full marathon for those of you who are even crazier than I am), here is the link to the event website…
http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/marathonnew.htm

Wish Me luck!... I'm going to need it.
Thank you!
-Kate

Live, Love and Leave YOUR Mark!

"Kate Grammer"
Kilted Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/09 at 10:17am
Kate you crazy girl!!  but good for you a great cause especially since so many of our highland brothers and sisters have been touched by Cancer themselves or family members...  good luck on the run, hope the weather is not crazy hot for you.  - Karyn 
meat View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '07-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/09 at 11:36pm

I will definately make a donation.

My Mom was just given the news yesterday that she has developed lymphoma in her throat from years of smoking.

Thanks Kate.

Let'em Fly, Brother!-The Polish Prince

http://www.newenglandstrength.com/

COLEWINE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COLEWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/09 at 12:08am

Mike,

I am truly sorry. Please tell her that where there is life, there is hope and she can win this fight.  She really can. And just because we make some bad choices with our health or otherwise in our past doesn’t mean we can’t change and heal and grow. When I drop my head to pray today I will ask for God to heal her. Take care, Bruce

SCREW TIBET,FREE SCOTLAND
hbaileyIII View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbaileyIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/09 at 5:56am

Really sorry to hear that Mike.  I have had more relatives with cancer than I care to count.  Please tell her I am praying fror her.  Hell of a supportive mom!

This whole thing got me thinking.  How about a games totally dedicated to a cause.  Something like throwing for a cause!  Maybe people sponsor you per foot of distance in an event.  If any of you organizers are interested in running one of these I would be interested in competing in it.  I would donate the my winnings for something like that. I think they did something like that on the west coast a few years ago.  Just a thought.

Sorry to hijack Kate.  Awesome way to give back but painful as hell!

HB3
will barron View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '03, '04, '07, '08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/09 at 5:59am

that would be a great event idea. Mike, give your Mom a hug for me and tell her Karen and I are thinking of her.

DarlinMACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/09 at 6:46am
Originally posted by hbaileyIII hbaileyIII wrote:

Sorry to hijack Kate.  Awesome way to give back but painful as hell!

No Hijack at all.. I almost fell out of my chair this morning when I read Mike's post. My thoughts are with his family right now as they pull together to figure out the next step..

As far as an event.. It's something I've thought of putting together. I have a group called "get your rear in gear" that would like to work with me to set up a highland games which would promote colon cancer awerness and support. But I'd love to do something directly with AMC, since I'm confident in where their fund raising goes. BUt I think we would have to partner with an established games. (insurance alone would be outside of my personal range).  

"Kate Grammer"
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/09 at 4:09am
Kate - I know it's still a few weeks out but wanted to wish you good luck with your race before I spaced the date.

Al
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/09 at 11:43am

After a long, windy day on the field Cindy and I were getting back to the rooms and what do we see? Kate, out for a run. Amazing.

Best of luck Kate, and dont run with those shears I gave you.

Leroy McDonough
HellsBelle View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HellsBelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/09 at 3:06pm
Kate-good luck with your training... I can't imagine the mental toughness
you have to run for 13+miles! You're a champ... great cause too.
Anytime you need some help raising awareness or fundraising let me
know. I had so many people behind me during my treatment that made it
bearable. I can't imagine going though all that without friends and family.

Mike-sorry to hear about the news about your Mom. I also had a type of
lymphoma and I was amazed at what oncology can do these days! (5
years cancer free!) Stay tough and I am sure she will have another
survivor story to tell.

Adriane
Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records. 
-William A. Ward
kover View Drop Down

Top 10 in the USA - '03-'11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/09 at 12:30am
I will donate..
Sorry Mike to hear about your mom..I will be praying for her

HB has a great idea and i think we should go with it..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/09 at 1:36am

Thank you Everybody!.

Your support really means alot to me!.

And thank you for giving me even more motivation with your stories!

"Kate Grammer"
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/09 at 1:41am

I have given HBIII's idea some thought, and I will look into that idea. I work in Oncology and know a lot of organizers and supporters in our area. It would be a good way to introduce the sport to some new people and for a good cause. I will contact our PR department at work today and see if they would be interested in helping get something going in Portland.

Leroy

Leroy McDonough
Shedrick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 3:28am

That's great Kate!! I'll be rooting for you. And also supporting your cause. Good Luck and I hope to see you before the seasons over.

If you can get a highland game together for this cause I would love to participate.

And Mike I'm sorry to hear about your mom our thoughts will be with you and your family.

Amy

Carlton & Amy Shedrick
D.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/09 at 4:38am

Good luck Kate, I think that is awesome.

I did two sprint triathlons a couple of months ago, for something different, so I can relate to what you are doing.

Let us know how it goes.

North American Highlander Association, Inc.
www.nahighlander.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/09 at 3:02am

Thanks again to everyone who has been able to donate!.

I really appreciate the support!.  And thank you for sharing your stories with me. My prayers go out to all of you who have loved ones who are currently fighting!.

4 days until race day!.

http://www.active.com/donate/09AmericanCancerSoci/masonrunsh alf

http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/marathonnew.htm

-Kate

"Kate Grammer"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/09 at 1:38am

I finished!!!!

It took me slightly longer than I had originally planned..

My IT Band started to act up at around the 8 mile marker.. and by the time mile 11 rolled around.. walking was my only option..  I was able to run the last 1/2 mile (with a heavy limp). I finished right around the 3 hour mark, crying hysterically.  (I'm sure the pictures are going to be GREAT!).

Thanks again to everyone for the support!

With your help I was able to raise $800 for the American Cancer Society. 

AS soon as I don't feel like I got hit by a Mack truck.. It's back to throwing heavy things.

"Kate Grammer"
D.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/09 at 1:58am
Great job Kate, way to stay with it.
North American Highlander Association, Inc.
www.nahighlander.com
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/09 at 2:25am

Go you! Well done.

Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/09 at 7:01am
Congrats Kate....

PS I hate IT bands...
"Stand in your own space and know you are there."
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/09 at 8:04am
Excellent Kate!!!  Congrats!
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/09 at 8:36am

Kate very nice gesture on your part. Mike, I wish you, your mother and your whole family well.   

I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
Kilted Canuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/09 at 2:42pm
Great job Katie, way to tough it out and finish the race and raise all that money for Cancer research!!!  Way to go, great cause, very proud of you.. now rest up.. hugs Karyn 
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/09 at 3:43am

WAY TO GO MIGHTY MACE! and mike, our thoughts will be with you and your mum threw this ordeal!

jay lyttle/ mandy keefer

please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
hbaileyIII View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbaileyIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/09 at 5:05am

Great job Kate.

Leroy, let us know what you can get organized.  If you put it together on an off weekend I am sure the turn out will be awesome.

HB3
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/09 at 6:26am

Hey Kate!  Proud of you girl!!  Way to sacrifice for a great cause.  Your the best.

And Mike,  Best to you and your mom.  Your Mom and Dad are awesome.  Please let them know I am pulling for them/her.  Don't be afraid to dial me up if you need anything.

Donate lately?
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/09 at 6:42am
Wow Kate!  13 miles?  I think a team of 13 of the rest of us might finish that one. Great job. I guess I was asleep at the wheel when you made that announcement. Is it too late to donate? 
"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/09 at 6:53am

Thanks everybody!.

The donation site for the half marathon is closed (I think).  But since American Cancer Society is my charity of choice..  I am currently the captain of our President's office "Relay for Life" team.

So if anyone is still interested in donating to the ACS, please do so at the following link.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09NE?px= 12893598&pg=personal&fr_id=16250

And I promise this will be the last time I plug a donation site.. (this year).

"Kate Grammer"
Roy Bogue View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Bogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/09 at 6:59am
There is nothing wrong with plugging a donation site.  Especially for such a good cause.  You leave people the choice to donate not an obligation.  Your awesome girly!
Donate lately?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic