FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: TROB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 47484950>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/16 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by grasshopper grasshopper wrote:

Sheaf x 10

Killing it.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/16 at 7:12pm
Last tune up before Maine this weekend.  Al and Jeff in attendance.

#16 Braemar x 5 (meh.....ok)
#16 Open Stone x 5 (Working a Harry MacDonald shuffle which went pretty well)
Takes FOREVER to warm up the elbow in stones.  FOREVER...........like INFINITY......

HWFD x 5 (fugly here but figured one out and knew what I did so replicate this weekend and it will be ok)
LWFD x 5 (ditto above.   Ended ok)

Heavy Hammer x 1 (was my warmup throw....went well.....then Al broke the handle.....AL!!!)
Light Hammer x 5 (went very, very well)

Sheaf in the morning with Jeff then Yoga, stretching, flossing, and chillaxin till Maine this Saturday!
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/16 at 8:45pm
Dude, totally sorry about the handle.  The hammer landed perfectly, not sure what happened.  I can't think of a wetter and rock free field to throw in in NE.  I think you had a weak shaft.

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/16 at 9:07pm
Weak shaft fa daysssss
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/16 at 9:27pm
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/16 at 2:07pm
Sheaf x 15  (added a step out for aiming purposes)

LWFD x 5 (just wanted to feel a little something out)

DONE till Saturday......DONE
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/16 at 2:19pm
dude rest
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/16 at 3:01pm
Tomorrow... the ultraviolence.

Have fun, mang.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/16 at 5:09pm
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/16 at 6:31pm
Maine Highland Games:

What a great day had.   Love hanging with my highland games peeps.   Makes my face hurt from smiling all day.

Braemar Stone: 31'+
Open Stone: 39'4" (No elbow pain so things are looking up with the stones!)
HWFD: 33'10" (way farther than ive been in practice so that was nice)
LFWD: 62'2" (left knee and ankle killing me after from blocking hard at the trig)
Heavy Hammer: 81'+  (sweeeet for T-Rex)
Light Hammer: 100'+  (had some farther than this in practice so was hoping for something bigger)
Caber: 22' long.   10:00 and the last throw was up to vertical but fell back.   Longest caber Ive ever turned.
Sheaf: 28'4"  (Took some good pulls at 31'4" but was probably a foot short.)
WOB: 13'  Not really close to 14'   Hit 13' on first pull though, which is funny because I struggle at 12' during practice.

Finish: 2nd Overall.

New kid on the block Kyle Lillie showed up for his first highland games.   Legit.    Training to try and qualify for 2020 olympics in hammer.   Straight up stud.  Hope he got the bug and sticks with it.   We need guys like him in the sport.

Some things to ponder.   When I practice throws feel so awkward and shitty technically sometimes.   Then when I step into the trig at a games it just clicks and everything feels great technically and im comfortable.  Im immediately brought to craig smiths training routine of never practicing and just lifting.   I feel like my only thing that was keeping me from throwing farther is strength.   So do I lift hard and take some token throws once in a while to make sure I remember the motions or do I stay the course?   I will contemplate on the tree of woe.    

I also have swimmers ear (not from swimming coincidentally) and had it yesterday too.   The pain is excruciating and is testing my level of pain tolerance.  Im cycling Tylenol and Ibuprofen but Its not helping much.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/16 at 7:14pm
I am totally with you on the practice / sync thing.  You know my struggles these past few weeks with practice and then on game day I manage to eek out 1 or two somewhat respectable "for me anyway" throws.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/16 at 8:47pm
For what its worth, TROB, I think a healthy combination of the 2 will suit you. I think you're just a competitor, and no matter how many throws you do or don't take, you'll just show up at games. Way better than being a practice hero. 

Of course, being strong never hurt anyone. 

Just my .02!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/16 at 10:00pm
Hulk smashed!  Good work TROB.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/16 at 7:06pm
Thanks guys.

Been fighting an ear infection since Maine games.   Actually sought medical attention that night.   Went to another prompt care two days after that, then the ER because I was shortness of breath while lying down (turns out it was just a panic attack since I was above the giving birth part of the pain scale), then my primary care yesterday and now an ENT today.   ENT says after taking a giant puss filled swab from my ear "I cant wait to see what this comes back as!"   Then they vacuumed about a gallon of horror show out of my ear.    Ive been on oral and topical antibiotic as well as Hydrocodone for the pain.   Actually have kicked the pain killers for the last two days and just gotten by on 800mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours.  So well see what the swab brings on Monday and hopefully back to some training for Looooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/16 at 4:24pm
Ok so ear came back as a Staph and Yeast infection.  ENT says it looks 70% better now so I took that as a green light to train again.   Did lose 7 lbs since friday when I saw her last though....lol

Need to make some life changes.   Short, Fat, and Dumb is no way to go through life.    Im not talking Jake Sullivan skinny but 275 seems like a good fighting weight.

Shall we begin?   
DATE: 8/31/16
BW: 310

Complex A: 4x8 (65lbs)
- Upright Row
- Hang Clean
- Front Squat
- Strict Press
- Back Squat
- Good Mornings

Last set was brutal.   Heart going to Splode.......

20 yard sprints up driveway pushing lawn tractor.
5 sprints.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 12:55pm

20 yard sprints up driveway pushing lawn tractor.

Dammit!  Why did I never think of this?  Brilliant.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 1:03pm

Need to make some life changes.   Short, Fat, and Dumb is no way to go through life.    Im not talking Jake Sullivan skinny but 275 seems like a good fighting weight.

Shall we begin?   
DATE: 8/31/16
BW: 310

It's all food, and couldn't be more simple.  Good luck.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 1:29pm
Your not wrong.   Ive tracked before and had success, but damn if I dont get hAngry.   Discipline.   
All Discipline.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 1:54pm
Uh huh.. I see what's going on in here.

I'm still 245, so I haven't lost my man card just yet. I suppose that goes when I drop under 220.

Why be hungry? Just do more work, imo.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 2:01pm

I feel like my only thing that was keeping me from throwing farther is strength.

Strength a limiting factor. This makes me chuckle. Only to a degree. I went 49/88 with the 49# and 25# wfd last week. That translates to roughly 44/83 based on how I've thrown in the past.

You're way stronger than me right now dude. Seriously. I can't squat 315x1 right now. I can't even bench 135 at 1m/s.

You want to drop bombs?

Video every single throw. Watch every single throw. Compare every single throw to others that are dropping bombs.

Look for quality in your throws, not quantity.

Break the throws down into different phases. I will take 4-5 hwd throws where I walk through the cast and sprint and hit a big finish. Just so I can focus on the feel of the cast/sprint.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 2:42pm

Your not wrong.   Ive tracked before and had success, but damn if I dont get hAngry.   Discipline.   
All Discipline.

I will make it super easy on you, and you can eat as much as you want so hunger will not be an excuse. 

You are allowed to eat all the meat and veggies that you want.  Nothing else.  Simple. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 6:42pm
Jake.....you sir are full of shit.   I guarantee that if you got under 500, with a slap and tickly from rob meulenbergs beard, you could squat that shit all day!   Fo sho!

Agree the video helps.   Been videoing every throw this season and reviewing as I go shag.   Definitely helps.   Agree with breaking it down into parts and drilling that part to get the feeling.    Been doing that.

Just feel like when I throw that I feel like I am getting that thing as far as "I" can.   So it would stand to reason to make improvement there are 2 options:

- Get Faster (You are lightning fast.....like greased lightning)
- Get Stronger

IDK....just need to find a balance I guess.

Craig your absolutely right.   Ive done the ultra low carb route.  Legit melt weight off in no time.  I do most of the cooking in the family and by the time I get done fixing dinner another meal for myself is a pain in the ass.   My wife gets all crabby im going to die of a heart attack eating all that meat to.

Bottom line......Ive got plenty of avenues......plenty of excuses.......and nothing will change unless I get rid of them.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/16 at 8:29pm
9/1/16

BW: IDK.....forgot to step on scale today.....

Into Crematoria for some work:

Overhead Squats:
65 x 5
85 x 5
105 x 5
135 x 5

BNJ:
135 x 5
175 x 5
245 x 3

Clean High Pulls:
Attached a hit bar at mid peck height (half way between nip and shoulder top).  Goal was to hit the bar x3 at each weight.
245 x 3
265 x 3
285 x 0 (2 tries....used 2 #20 kettlebells on bar to get to the weight and they started swinging)
325 x 0 (cuz why not.   4 attempts......not even close.

Shrugs:
325 x 5 x 5

Ghetto Bench:
Got a 18" cabinet and slid it under the bar resting on my safety arms with a pine board on top.   Savage.
135 x 5 x 5
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/16 at 8:30pm
9/6/16

BW: 306

Heavy Night:

Deads:
5x5 up to 485x5 (tongue felt like it was going to burst which was weird.....)

Hang Snatch:
Bar x 5
65 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5
195 x 1 (using #20 kettle bells on each side to get there......was.......different)

Push Press:
135 x 5
155 x 5
195 x 3

Suitcase Holds:
135 for 30 sec each hand
225 for 10 sec each hand for 3 sets

Battle for 3rd at LOON JVG.....whatchu got?
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/16 at 4:34pm

Battle for 3rd at LOON JVG.....whatchu got?

optimism for a solid fourth?
is that the right answer?
jammin on the one.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/16 at 8:05pm
Natureboy.....up your smack talk game man.....I need some external motivation other than the photos I have of you up in my gym to stare at when I overhead squat.

9/7/16
Speed and Conditioning Night:

Complex B: 4x8 with 50lbs
- Bulgarian Split Squat (did each leg)
- Hang Snatch
- Overhead Squat
- Stone Squats
- Split Jerk
- RDL

#20 Kettle Bell Twists 5x10

Lat Pull Downs 3x10

Tricep Press Downs 3x10

Standing Cable Abs 3x10

#20 Kettle Bell Cast Swings 3x10 (each hand)

#20 Kettle Bell WOB Swings 3x20 (each hand)
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/16 at 5:43pm

Natureboy.....up your smack talk game man.....I need some external motivation other than the photos I have of you up in my gym to stare at when I overhead squat.

hope its the ones of me in speedo.

Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line. 

jammin on the one.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/16 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by vonguinness vonguinness wrote:

Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line. 

Is that a compliment to me?   Because Im pretty sure ive been around the block a few times......lol

And yes its the one in the speedo.......
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/16 at 12:13pm
Loon Mt. Results:

Heavy Hammer: 72+  (slippery....tough to get blades in....and theres got to be some other excuse im missing......)
Braemar: 31+
Open: something+ (im mentally blocking this out......worst throw in 10 years.....)
HWFD:  34+ (fouled a big one that was at or over my PR of 37'......foul was spectacular too....not one of those close ones.......released and dove straight on face......good speed though!)
LWFD:  65+  (Season bests for both weights)
Caber: like 50 degrees or something pathetic.   Had to poop super bad and its all I could think about.....brutal)
WOB: 12'   Left in on the bar at 13'

Overall: 4th

One more year as an Amateur then on to the senior circuit.    Cant wait.
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/16 at 5:33am
I hope you saved the cane at the club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 47484950>
  Share Topic