Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Pingleton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Pingleton
    Posted: 12/28/09 at 4:46am

Monday, December 28, 2009

I was going to wait until the New Year to start posting here, but decided to jump the gun.  Just trying to get back into hard, heavy, and consistent training recently.

A fairly short holiday workout today.

Front Squats (100% raw, ATG, in kg) - 60x5x2, 80x5, 100x3, 120x3, 130x3, 140x3x5

3 sets of "Jacks" (V-sits) to polish off the abs.

That's it!

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/09 at 5:06am

Wednesday, December 30

Continuous Clean-Grip High Pulls (up to mid-chest, no reset at bottom, in kg) - 60x5, 70x5, 80x5, 90x5, 100x4x5 (5 sets of 4 reps)

Snatch-Grip Deadlifts off 4" podium (+ very controlled eccentric, in kg) - 100x5, 110x4, 120x4x4

Seated Box Jumps - 36.5"x1x10 (into half-squat)

3 sets of Jacks for the abs (just started doing these again after a long time of not bothering)

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/10 at 5:59am

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Front Squats (100% raw, ATG, in kg) - 60x5, 80x3, 100x3, 120x3, 140x3, 150x3, 155x2x3 (3 sets of 2 reps)

Seated Box Jumps - 36.5"x1x3, 42.5"x1x12 (full squat landing into static standing recovery)

3 sets of twisting Jacks to failure.

No dynamic pulls today as my right shoulder is bothering me again.

- George Bernard Shaw

Greg Hadley View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Hadley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/10 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Pingleton Pingleton wrote:

Seated Box Jumps - 36.5"x1x3, 42.5"x1x12 (full squat landing into static standing recovery)

Impressive.

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 6:03am

Tuesday, January 5

RDLs (down to mid-shin, with straps, in kg) - 60x6, 80x6, 100x6, 120x6, 140x6, 150x6

Enough for today, as this is the first time I have done these in a long time.  Felt good, but my hammies probably won't tomorrow.

Seated Box Jumps (all landing in half-squat) - 36.5"x1x3 - legs felt dead so I decided to experiment instead of proceeding to a higher box.

Seated Box Jumps with Barbell (all landing in quarter squat) - 20#x18"x3, 20#x24"x5, 30#x24"x3, 40#x24#x3, 50#x24"x3, 60#x24"x6

This is really the first time I have ever done these.  I like them a lot, and believe they are very sports specific.  They are sort of a cross between a regular box jump, a jumping good-morning, a speed box squat, and a jerk behind the neck.  I am looking forward to doing them again when I am a bit stronger and have fresh legs and seeing how far I can safely push the weight.  These were all well within my limits, even today.

Anyone considering trying these, especially those who have done quite a few unweighted box jumps, should understand that not being able to move your arms at all significantly changes the movement.  You need to start with a  broomstick or something and a short box just to get the movement down and then progress gradually.  Even with a weight on your back, the impact forces are still quite minimal.  For maximum transfer to the throws, sit on a box that puts your thighs an inch or three above parallel and try to land in a half squat or higher. DO NOT MISS or you will almost certainly hurt yourself!

- George Bernard Shaw

dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 7:03am

Originally posted by Pingleton Pingleton wrote:

DO NOT MISS or you will almost certainly hurt yourself!

People keep up all this box jumping and we are definitely going to need a tore up shins thread with pics.  OWW!

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/10 at 7:58am

With box jumps, one needs to follow the advice of Yoda: 

“Do or do not... there is no try.”

Seriously, just do what you are confident you can do.  I have missed very few jumps in my life and not a single one in years (as I am relatively old and cautious now).

Frankly, for a thrower, I am not sure what the advantage is of jumping on a 42" box and landing in a full squat over jumping on a 36" box and landing in a quarter squat (other than it looks more impressive and feels more athletic).  It is really all about how far you can displace your center of gravity.  No one should ever miss a jump they can land in a quarter squat or even a half squat.

- George Bernard Shaw

will barron View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '03, '04, '07, '08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 9:06am

Peter is smart

M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 3:58pm

buffy- I have some really cool "gouge your way down the box edge" scars on my shins.

Peter - I've been limited to a 24" box , so I've been trying to do a little skip to a double foot fast plant  and pop and land on the box with straight legs. I used to get up on tall boxes almost in a full squat. Feels about the same w.out the risk of wiping out.

At UT , they have some old heavy wooden various height burnt orange boxes that our athletes have been jumping on since 1975. My kid and I went last year and jumped together. Cool. 

51 , 72 and 15 at 50
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 10:17pm
Check out my box jumps on my training thread. I use a
bunch of mats piled up to jump on. Works great. No sore
shins and no hesitation and fear. I missed one and just
landed on my knees on the top of the mat. Easy as pie!!! (I
stole this from Greg Hadley BTW)

TROB
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/07/10 at 8:23am

Tony, mats are good idea if you really want to push the height of your jumps.  And don't worry about stealing ideas, as it is very rare to find anything totally original in the world of strength training anymore.

Check out these videos if you enjoy box jumps.  They feature a fellow Canadian who is a member of the Canada 3 bobsled team.  A respectably strong and extremely explosive athlete.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=knobbers22#p/u/26/HxTxN8 9xwDk

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=knobbers22#p/u/1/xrffedk h_nc

- George Bernard Shaw

chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/07/10 at 8:32am
That dude is explosive as H@**...  Ive seen his vids before...  Great power clean technique!!  
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/10 at 5:59am

Friday, January 8

As predicted, first time doing RDLs in a long while last workout resulted in very sore hamstrings.  Glutes and back were fine.

I am pushing my lower-body recovery a bit these days because I have an irritated shoulder and just want to rest it for a bit.

Front Squats (100% raw, ATG, in kg) - 60x5x2, 80x3x2, 100x3, 120x3, 130x3x5 (these were harder than usual - legs dead)

Weighted Seated Box Jumps (using 5'/30# Oly bar, landing in quarter squat or higher) - 30#x18"x3, 50#x18"x3, 50#x24#x2, 60#x24"x2, 70#x24"x5, 80#x24"x2, 90x24"x1, 100#x24"x9 (or rather 3x3 rest pause style)

Felt good, but I did not want to push it any further given dead legs etc.  With just a bit of improvement together with fresh legs I believe I could safely do 120# to 130#.  However, I actually think limiting oneself to an 18" box and using a bit more weight might be even better.  Also, as this is rather more than a "leg reviver" it might be better placed before squats as opposed to after.

Again, one MUST be absolutely confident one can make any jump one attempts on this movement, as one would be extremely lucky to escape with just a pair of skinned shins if one missed (hence the otherwise excessive number of "warmup" sets).  However, this has the benefit of ensuring you are absolutely focused on every rep.  Using more than one mat one top of the box would not provide a stable landing surface given the weight involved.

3 sets of twisting Jacks to finish.

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 5:44am

Monday, January 11

Seated Box Jumps (to 18" box, landing in quarter squat or higher, with weighted barbell, in lbs.) - 30x3, 50x2, 80x2, 100x2, 110x2, 120x2, 130x2, 140x3x3 (rest-pause style)

These felt good but, not surprisingly, feel quite different than unweighted jumps onto a high box - more like extremely dynamic lifting than pure jumping.  Soon I am going to try jumping off a 6" box and up onto an 18" box, which should be very throwing-specific.

Snatch-Grip Deadlifts (from floor, with straps, in kg) - 100x3, 120x3, 140x3x5

- George Bernard Shaw

dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 6:05am

Went back and had to re-read...at first I thought I had read you were doing that with 140lb DUMBBELLS...

I was about to quit Highland Games.

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/10 at 8:08am

Thursday, January 11

Seated Box Jumps (to 18" box, landing in quarter squat or higher, with weighted barbell, in lbs.) - 40x3, 60x3, 80x3, 100x3, 120x3x6 (rest pause style)

Feeling rather tired and not explosive today, so I did not push the weight and did more volume.  After this, I did not feel like doing front squats, so I decided to include a lift I haven't done in a long time but will be including fairly regularly from now on:

Good Mornings (bent legs, torso down to just above parallel, in kg) - 40x8, 60x8, 80x6, 100x6x3

3 sets of twisting Jacks, just because

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/10 at 7:59am

Monday, January 18

Seated Box Jumps (holding dumbbells, in lbs./dumbbell) - 18"xbwx1x2, 18"x30#x1x2, 18"x40#x1x2, 18"x45#x1x2, 18"x60#x1x2, 18"x62.5#x1x5, 20"x62.5#x1x2, 22"x62.5#x1x2 (all these were landed in a very shallow squat to a static finish), 24"x62.5#x1x6 (landed in a quarter squat to a static finish)

Front Squats (100% raw, ATG, in kg) - 60x3, 80x3, 100x3, 120x3, 140x3, 150x3 (last set was full depth but hard, obviously due to too many box jumps)

2 sets of twisting Jacks to finish

Shoulder is feeling much better (although I haven't tested it at all) so I should be able to start doing cleans, snatches, and dumbbell incline presses etc. again very soon.

I hope to start videoing some of this stuff in the next month or so, and certainly once March arrives.  My goals include a full, raw Front Squat of 175kg/385#, a 140kg/308# Power Clean, a 105-110kg Hip Snatch, a 55'/16.76m overhead toss with a 16# shot,  and a Standing Long Jump of at least 3.00m/9'10", all by the end of May.  If I reach these goals, my standing WOB performances should be very competitive in 2010 (in Masters competitions at least) based on previous experience.

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/10 at 6:40am

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hang Cleans (minimal dip at catch, with reset, in kg) - 60x5, 70x5, 80x4, 100x4, 110x3, 120x1, 125x1 (felt right shoulder just a bit at the catch, but still no go for incline presses)

Seated Box Jumps - 36.5"x1x3, 38"x1x3, 40"x1x3, 42"x1x12 (full squat landing into static standing recovery - no problem, felt great)

- George Bernard Shaw

coachadams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/10 at 4:33am
Peter I'm very curious what other masters age athletes do in the gym/throwing ie. this last workout was there warm-up /cooldown, accessory exercises and are you throwing at all?Just curious if you have time any info much appreciated
show me a safe exercise and I'll show you a useless exercise...Louie Simmons
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/10 at 5:14am

Warm-up and warm-down are very schedule dependant.  Ideally, I would/do start with some foam rolling (very highly recommended) then proceed to a few dynamic mobility movements (this is often shortened if I have time constraints, but it is important).  A cool down would ideally consist of lots of slow, static stretching, which is very important but in the past has very often been largely skipped or done for a rather short period of time due to time constraints etc.  I am trying to make sure I do this more regularly and extensively.  I have been very flexible at various points in my life (from consistent stretching etc.) and not very flexible, and there is no doubt that one feels much better (more athletic, faster, less prone to injury, and obviously better ROM and mobility) when one is flexible.

I am not throwing much at the moment, other than some overheads with a shot and some WOB practice, for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I live in a part of Canada that is rather cold and snowy during the winter (much like Boston or Chicago).  I probably will not really start throwing much until April or May, which is not ideal at all but is the way it is right now.  That is one reason I try to do a lot of jumping, overheads, etc., for while this work does not help with my throwing technique it does keep my speed and explosiveness up.

- George Bernard Shaw

Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 1:09pm
You have so sold me on box jumps! I am incorporating them into my workouts next week.

Thanks Peter, good stuff
Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/24/10 at 8:43am

Sunday, January 24

Front Squats (100% raw, ATG, in kg, controlled eccentric) - 60x3, 80x3, 100x3, 110x3, 120x3, 130x3x5

Seated Box Jumps (30-45 seconds between jumps)- 24"x1x2, 36"x1x10

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 2:06am
130x3x5  ? is that 3 sets of 5 ,or 5 sets of 3
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 2:38am

I use weight x reps x sets.  I prefer to keep the reps low on full front squats.  And, as noted, that's in kg, so 286 lbs.  Not very heavy, but it catches up with you after a few sets, especially when you really control the eccentric.

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/10 at 7:35am

Wednesday, January 27

Hang Cleans (minimal dip at catch, with reset, in kg) - 60x5, 70x5, 80x3, 90x3, 100x3, 110x3, 120x2, 125x1x3

Snatch-Grip Deadlift (in kg, collar to collar) - 125x3, 140x3, 150x3, 160x1, 140x5

Squat Snatch from knees (with dowel) x1x12

Seated Box Jumps - 36.5"x1x2, 40"x1x6, 42"x1x12 (full squat landing into static standing recovery - no problem, felt great)

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/10 at 7:18am

Sunday, January 31

Power Cleans (minimal dip at catch, with reset, in kg) - 60x5, 70x3, 80x3, 90x3, 100x3, 110x3x5

Snatch-Grip Deadlift from 4" podium (collar to collar grip, in kg) - 110x5, 120x5x4 (should have done front squats today, but I just did not feel like it)

Seated Box Jumps - 36"x1x12 (just to reactivate the legs)

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 5:24am
theory on jumps AFTER weighted explosive/strength work, most stuff says faster to slower whats your take? oh yeah and a brief on seated box jumps .sorry I know you or someone defined them previous but cant find the post
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 6:23am

Generally speaking, faster to slower is correct, and if I were trying to maximize my performance on the box jumps I would obviously do them before squats etc.  You will notice I always do my explosive lifts before my slow lifts.

The short answer of why I do something very explosive AFTER heavy leg training (generally some kind of jump, heaving a medicine ball or shot, or possibly some sprint accelerations) is because that is what my old coach had us do.  He was/is a National Throws Coach, has a Ph.D in Sports Science, was best friends with a former Olympic Champion in the shot put, and was/is on a first name basis with many of the top throws coaches in the world.  FWIW, Charles Poliquin recommends the same thing. 

In very simplistic terms, this is done to "reactivate" the legs after heavy lifting, and helps to facilitate the transfer of heavy lifting into athletic performance.  Depending on my training set up, I will often super set squats and jumps for this reason.  I know Mike Stulce would often superset squats and standing long jumps. 

Again, if I were trying to maximize my performance on any explosive movement I would do it right after a good warmup, and none of the jumps done after lifting should be considered PR level.  If I were also lifting during that training session, I might follow the heavy lifting with a few more jumps or throws or whatever, just to work that slow, wooden feeling out of my legs.

I am not sure what you are asking about the box jumps.  Check out Greg Hadley's training log videos or see the links below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46veN24X6bk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bN6JzyDrU0

The standing version:

http://www.youtube.com/user/knobbers22#p/a/u/1/xrffedkh_nc

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coachadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/10 at 5:39am

Thank you  for the info and links,and...

The short answer of why I do something very explosive AFTER heavy leg training (generally some kind of jump, heaving a medicine ball or shot, or possibly some sprint accelerations) is because that is what my old coach had us do

I tire at times of the proliferation of scientific methods and love to hear anecdotal examples that have actually been/are practiced for no reason other than they work ( so except for placebo they must have some physiological basis)

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 6:55am

Thursday, February 4

Note: came down with intense case of the stomach flu about 30 minutes after my last lifting session.  The whole family was sick.

Hang Cleans (minimal dip at catch, in kg) - 60x5, 70x5, 80x4, 90x3, 100x3, 110x3x6

Front Squats (100% raw, ATG, in kg) - 60x3, 80x3, 100x3, 110x3, 120x3, 130x3, 140x3, 150x2 (did not feel up to third rep today!), 130x3x3

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
  Share Topic