FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/14 at 12:31am
Heal up, you definitely have done it before, keep your head up!
ewhite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 11:28am
Congrats on your win at Pleasanton!!
------------------------------
Eric "The Raging Kilt" White
Texas Celtic Athletic Association
Primo
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 11:48am
Pleasanton Games Report

Breamar - 1st at 35'1"
Open - 3rd at 43'1" (Not sure this is correct, but whatevs)
Heavy W - 2nd at 36'4" 
Light W - 1st at 77'5" 
Heavy H - 5th at 90'10"
Light H - 3rd - 113'4"
Caber - 3rd at 88 degree
WoB - 2nd at 15

Total of 20 points

Been rehabbing a calf tear from the Portland Games and wasn't 100% for Pleasanton; practice had been decent with a few bright spots, but I was only able to really get after it a few times and definitely paid for that in the days after.  With that in mind, I took a different approach to this Games and focused on doing just enough to medal and be competitive without trying to kill it with every throw.  Throws were slow and deliberate; just hitting easy positions and praying for rain.

Started with open stone; not my best event, but one I couldn't afford to take lightly with Rob, Scott, and Karl throwing well in recent weeks.  Pretty sure I had one in the 46 foot range and was second in the event, but no matter.  Karl won this event on his first throw.

HWFD was an experience.  Felt my calf pop (same one) on my first attempt, which, as you can probably guess, was a foul.  Second attempt was slow and deliberate; leg was really bothering me and the result was significantly less than what I was anticipating.  Fouled the third.  Karl won this as well.

Light hammer...sheesh.  This event, and the heavy, are just the bane of my existence.  Three awful throws, but again, just enough to take third.

Caber...not that long, and not that heavy.  Really tried to get after it on my first attempt; maybe if I could nail down a solid turn I could skip the others and rest a bit.  Ended up dropping it.  Stupid.  "Door's wide open."  Not sure who said it, but I heard you.  Second run with it was bad; felt like my calf was unzipping.  Maybe just scar tissue.  Third attempt was about ten steps and a high pull.  Again, third.  Adam and Rob laying the smack down on this one.

WOB.  If you would've told me Adam Brezina would take DFL in this event I'd have laughed.  But that's what happened after an early miss at 13'.  Remember that "door's wide open" thing?  All I have to do, at this point, is make it to 15 without missing.  Made it to 15', missed my first attempt (I think everyone else did too except Rob) and then moved on to 16.  Had the height, but no shooter's roll.  Second.

Finished Day 1 with 13 points and the overall lead.

Woke up stupid early for Day 2 from a "just fouled out of LWFD and lost Pleasanton" dream.  I kept hearing that "Door's wide open," thinking about dropping the ball in Norway, Portland, Enumclaw, "Clevenger backed the wrong horse," and all the other shit I've been dealing with and hearing...

Day 1 was a marathon; Day 2 would have to be a sprint.

Day 2 started with the Pleasanton Braemar:  26 pounds of I can't throw it really far.  Managed to throw it just far enough.  First.  Rob and Karl within striking distance.

LWFD.  Same as the above.  Hit the first one hard-ish.  First.  Rob and Karl still in range.

Heavy Hammer.  At this point I was in front by 8 points.  All I had to do was relax and finish what I started.

Rob, Karl, and Adam were all game both days, and I am proud to have shared the field with them. Thank you, Gentlemen, for giving me a real fight. 

To Steve Conway:  Thank you for not giving up on me and allowing me one more shot to see Pleasanton from the podium.

To Johnny Irvin:  We finally gave them that tremendous repair bill.  You're example means more to me than I could ever explain on this board.  I hope, in spite of everything, you will consider this a victory for the small man...the humble man.

I never would've made it without you Peanut.  For telling me what I needed to hear, even when you knew I didn't want to hear it...this is as much your victory as mine.  Don't give up on yourself, because I never will. 

The man in the arena.
billw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 12:17pm
Great Job Duncan!   See you in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored by friends of Billw
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 1:05pm
Well done, DMC. You still belong to Texas, FYI.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 1:08pm
Wonderful sharing the field with you once again, Duncan.  Great job.  I'm ready for another slugfest in a few.  

And Beech, sorry Texas' loss is New England's gain.

Public Enemy FTW.

www.sportkilt.com
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 1:10pm
Congrats man! A hard fought victory through and through! I'll be seeing you real soon. 

Best start watching this as it will become your life: 

Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

Wonderful sharing the field with you once again, Duncan.  Great job.  I'm ready for another slugfest in a few.  

And Beech, sorry Texas' loss is New England's gain.

Public Enemy FTW.

^

Count on it Rob.  I'll be healthy by then.
The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 2:59pm
Brilliant work.  That is all.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/14 at 7:02pm
Throws this afternoon were solid.

Trying to relax my hammers a bit...trying too hard coupled with my LOFT has made for some pitiful attempts this season. Today was encouraging.

HWFD one turns out to 38'. No real pain in the legs.

Watching "Showdown in Little Tokyo.". Testosterone levels way above normal at the moment.

BTW...Sully's wfd's this weekend in Estes. Fack.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 6:48am
http://youtu.be/HoiCagJhmQc

You're welcome.
The man in the arena.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 7:13am
Bwaaaahahaha. I was at the sports bar yesterday and caught hell from about 20 cleveland fans for lmao when it happened.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 7:48am
That's what I'm doing to you, DMC. Next time our paths cross on the field.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 8:54am

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 9:08am
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 9:17am
File:Huckleberry-finn-with-rabbit.jpg
The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

BTW...Sully's wfd's this weekend in Estes. Fack.

gracias..

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 11:36am
No, thank you.  That's some Boss Level ish.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 7:57pm
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=107175

^ Reason #635213 to MMM!

Workout in the hotel gym was aight...doing the best I can with what I have.

Got my swole on and rolled to one of those metcons all the cool kids are doing. Nobody's done it to "Can't hurry love" by Phil Collins though...have they? (Not the one who runs the Dirty Burger either)

10 pushups
30 mountain climbers
10 air raids (Because "burpee" is a silly word)
Five rounds up and down

Plank circuit.

KOBE!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Nobody's done it to "Can't hurry love" by Phil Collins though...have they?

Nope, but I did my slosh pipe complex to the soundtrack for Black Sails tonight.  Enjoyed the heck out of that.  Thumbs Up

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 9:01am
Man, yesterday was a TOTAL bust training wise.

Sitting for the better part of 2 hours waiting for an accident to clear was the monkey in the wrench.  Made it back to the hotel for a lift, in the loosest sense of the word, and almost immediately was swarmed by some fitness bros. 

"Can we work in?"

Should've said no.  Sweat dried, so I left.

Went for a run this morning, nice and easy.  Heavy rain made the return trip MUCH faster than I would've preferred.

RIP Jaws.
The man in the arena.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 9:12am
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 9:17am

Talk about an ICONIC villain.

The man in the arena.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 11:39am
:(      Loved him in the Longest Yard
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 11:47am
Yup.  I was thinking the same thing.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:03pm
Hungry Jack of NASGA?

WTF?
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:27pm
It takes you guys months and months to see the titles, lol. 

I don't even remember why on that one.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:43pm
I normally do but that one just threw me.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 1:20pm
It was from back when Beech and I were trying to convince Sean go on a coaching tour while he was rehabbing his bicep.  I was attempting to get him to come down to Georgia by plying him with biscuits.

It might have worked on Myles, but I'm not fool enough to cross Cheryl.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/14 at 4:03pm
Craig Smith in 2003, or Duncan McCallum in 2014?

You be the judge.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 151152153154155 189>
  Share Topic