FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/14 at 8:02pm
Floor presses should be taken from the floor
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/14 at 8:10pm
I'm too fat and my arms are too long Hap.
The man in the arena.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/14 at 10:51pm
Hey Bud, I'm off the Friday before Celtober, so if you still have time I'd love to come down and go over some stuff with you. 
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/14 at 9:31am
Don't let hapy tell you otherwise. Floor presses are to be done like you did them...suspended out of a power rack. Hapy likes to do those all round lifts. He also thinks stones should be done without tacky!
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 10:34am
ME Squats today...opted for fronts.

Bar x10
Triples w/135, 185, 225 (enter the not F'ing around Mule tutelage) 275
Singles w/135, 365, 405 (cake) 425
Took a little more rest here...435, 455 <= upper back being a sissy...
Little more rest...460 for three ugly ugly singles. I got them, but it was the same as not getting them...technique was total shite.

475 for a single negative. Yup. Squish.

GM's
Fives with 225, 275, then 3 sets of five with 315 w/o belt...snappy

Weighted abs/reverse hyper SS
Weighted hangs
Elliptical cool down 20 mins at 6.
The man in the arena.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 12:01pm
315 pound good mornings
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 12:56pm
I'm short...doesn't have to go too far.
The man in the arena.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 1:46pm
Duncan said Squish..lol
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 5:46pm
That would fold me in half like a switchblade. Lol
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 7:58am
+1 Nate.

Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

I'm short...doesn't have to go too far.

I'm not sure how being short would effect ROM in a hip hinge? 

Bar position on your back and how close to parallel to the floor your torso was may have an effect, but don't slight it by saying ROM.  That's big weight there. 
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 8:15am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

+1 Nate.

I'm not sure how being short would effect ROM in a hip hinge? 

Bar position on your back and how close to parallel to the floor your torso was may have an effect, but don't slight it by saying ROM.  That's big weight there. 

Craig I think even though it's a hinge, the loading of the bar on the back is the difference-maker. Shorter torso would create a shorter moment arm for that movement (as would bar position), wouldn't it? If two trainees of equal strength do that same movement, the one with the bar closest to the point of rotation would be able to lift more.

Either way, it's a lot of weight. Dunc, are you doing these suspended or starting standing?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 8:19am
Indeed, I just figure that's it's always equaled out by bar placement, but that's with the assumption that people are looking for the same work. 

The lower the bar on the back, the more weight you can use, as you stated.  I've always been a fan of high bar, lighter weight, bigger ROM (with regards to torso parallel-ness to the floor), for that exercise.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 8:36am
I walk it out and am parallel.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 8:53am
Then, as noted above, you are a gorilla.  
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 12:05pm
I've gone as high as 425 but it's been a very, very long time. 315 isn't that tough but bar placement is indeed the difference. I've always felt a lot more overall posterior activation in a low bar while high bar isolated more of the low back. I preferred low bar not for the weight but for the compound activation. Additionally, I've always hated how high bar GMs feel like they're going to cut my head off.

Now I just don't do them. Shrug. Other ways to skin a cat.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 12:22am
"Other ways to skin a cat."

Like?
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 6:49am

"Other ways to skin a cat."

Like?

I always preferred snatch grip Romanian deadlifts to GMs. I figure it's a body-type thing though. The way I'm built, all GMs ever did to me was spinal sheer.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 7:11am

Word.  I get on those too.  Long arms.

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/14 at 12:36am

So I've been doing my level best to hold to the Westside plan; I've had to make a few adjustments (lack of bands/chains at the base gym, no sled, no gear, etc.) and I've been pretty happy with the results of the individual workouts.  Mobility is good, weights are moving with alacrity, and it's not taking me all day to get squared away.  It's not true WS (thanks for the head's up Myles) but I'm doing the best I can.

arnold schwarzenegger animated GIF
That is, until yesterday.  Work has been rather awful, and I skipped my Thursday workout because:

A.  It was my third double in four days
B.  I forgot my lunch
C.  I was feeling sorry for myself
D.  All of the above

With that in mind, yesterday became a combined upper/lower dynamic day...at least as dynamic as I can be without all the WS accoutrements.

10 minute elliptical warmup @ 7
Bench Press: Bar x 10, 135 x 10, 185 x 10, 225 x 10, then 9 triples with 245 for speed.  Working on actively pulling the bar down and driving it through the ceiling.  No big deal here.

DB Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 with 125's, then a set of 6, 3, and then 1.  Didn't put the DB's down on my last; rocked forward, pig wheezed, and began again.  When I finished, I kinda dumped them to the side.  "Control your weights." <- More on this in a moment...pffft...control my weights

JM Presses:  4x8 with 185.  Never done these before.  Now I know why.  Pretty sure I didn't do them correctly, but GD these wrecked my arms.  So, about controlling my weights:  This MFer is literally* bouncing 275 off his chest at the nearest flat bench and struggling with triples.  OK, no big deal.  So Y DAFUQ move to 315?  Dude, really?  I pulled this off this ass clown twice..."Control your weights."  Couldn't help myself.

Seated Rows:  4x10 with 4 plates per side.  No big deal.  Took too much rest between sets...this is the feeling sorry for myself part.

DB Shoulder Press: 4x10 with 80's.  Nowhere to sit, so did these standing.

Hammer Curls: 4x10...really 4x20...with 45's.  I hate curling.  I never do them.  Sick pump, and the first part of this nonsense lift is done.

Another 10 minutes on the elliptical.

Bench Squats: Twelve triples starting with 225, then a set of 275, a set of 315, then F it, let's go four wheels for the rest.  I didn't have a box, so I had to use one of the random benches cluttering up the place.  The one I pulled was pretty low, and I ended up stacking two 35's to make it a bit higher.  This was too high, so when I got to 405 I put one of them back.  Still feeling this in my hamstrings.

Deadlifts:  Sumo style!  Oh snap!  I might have performed this lift twice in the past 33 years, so why not spend a little time on them now?  Ten triples with 315.  No big deal.  Quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Leg Curls:  DO NOT WANT. 

Standing abs:  6x20

10 more minutes on the elliptical.

Austin this weekend, which I am probably going to get throttled by Hayden and his 90 foot open stone...or whatever he's throwing these days.  I'd be better off:
deer animated GIF

1lit·er·al adjective \ˈli-t(ə-)rəl\  : completely true and accurate : not exaggerated

The man in the arena.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/14 at 1:52am
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/14 at 1:54am
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/14 at 1:55am
just kidding Duncan...did you look up that stuff by john Smith and\ westside????will try and find it at home was busy driving Ryan around
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/14 at 2:13am
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!  Yeah man, I keep getting that. 

Yes Sir I did.  I've been putting some real thought into this next phase.  Got off to a great start with Training Lab, then started working with Warrior Sciences and made more gains...I'm eager to see what I can do with this Westside-ish approach.  All my cool stuff is in NH, so I'm having to make do here.

More importantly, how is Ryan?
The man in the arena.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/14 at 5:11pm
Ryan is holding his own/is in a 4 week offcycle from chemo/radiation/cocktail therapy -seems to be halting the SPREAD of the bone cancer. He has good,bad,and terrible days(the later have been more lately but last few days was a bit more excited/saw his mom's hall of fame plaque which came to the house and doing some press for a small movie he's in) thanks again for asking. Don't forget if ever in NYC just holler. Me,Terri and the MWR will play travel guides. Good luck in TX and North /South
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/14 at 12:38am
D - I'll certainly take you up on that!  Glad to hear Ryan is rolling with the punches...that is real courage.

Austin Games Rundown

Always a great time in the Baablands.  This is where I got my start, so coming back to this Games, much like The Thistle, is a sort of homecoming.  Plus, getting to pwn caber in front of Coach Pamela and Get-It-Dave is always solid.

Braemar - 33+.  Baab relented this year and didn't force us to throw the ball bearing; instead he gave us a 26.2 pound rock shaped like a circus peanut.  Hayden thrashed the rest of us with a 35+; I just wanted to make it out of this event in one piece and in front of Scott H. who had a monster Saturday.  More on that in a minute.

Open - 49+.  Don't quote me on that.  Hayden had some trouble getting the stone tucked on this event and left the door open just a tad.  Good wrap and fast(ish) feet made for a solid series with the final throw being the best.

HWFD - 39+.  Weights were going to be my biggest challenge this weekend.  I've gotten great PT from Dan and Dr. Chapman at CORE, but haven't really had much of a chance to work the sprint phase of the HWFD...been pulling back from pushing off.  My first throw was a little suspect...guessing 36 or so, but after that things in my leg didn't explode so why not go for it on the next two? 

LWFD - 83.  The Flagrant Flier!  Got into foul trouble early; Baab uses two trigs for the LWFD with the "short" trig for folks who go < 75", and a "long" trig for other folks like Spencer (who managed 91'+ Saturday).  I took the win in this event, but fouled three throws out of six; that's never ok.  A little coaching from Baab and a small adjustment yielded 80' and 83' on my last two attempts.  Was feeling the pressure here...Scott went 79+ Saturday so I couldn't afford to mail this one in.

Caber - These weren't tremendous, but challenging enough.  Two 12's and a 12:05 was enough.

WOB - 15'.  Easy.  No surprises here.

Braemar - 2nd.
Open - 1st.
HWFD - 1st.
LWFD - 1st.
Caber - 1st.
WOB - 1st.

Overall -1st.

Always a lot of fun down here.  The Texas season is drawing to a close with only Celtober and Salado remaining, so the points race in the TACS/SGL is going to come down to the wire.  Taking the field this weekend with Jon H., Hayden, Swamp Jesus, Kevin Becker, and The Hudd...
retro animated GIF
It's going to be a long day.

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/14 at 1:32pm
Sean that warmup was solid...I stealed it.

ME Upper...had to go out of order due to gym jabronis.

Close grip incline 4x10 with 235
Rear laterals 4x10 with 180 (machine)
Tricep Pushdown 4x15 with stack
Lat pulls front 4x10 with 140...sissy weight

Finally got space to do my floor presses
135x10
185x3
225x3
315x3...this is when things started getting heavy fast
365x2
405x1, 0, 0, 0

After all of those failures I kinda lost my sh*t and started over...double shot of C4 and time to do work.
225x3
315x1
365x2x12
315x5x5...because why not

Triceps extensions 4x8 with 135

Really a little pissed about this lift. Zero progress. Rehab, burrito, and I'm out.
The man in the arena.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/14 at 6:55pm

Rehab, burrito, and I'm out.

Burrito IS Rehab.......
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 3:46pm
Smoked dem legs today. Walking into the base gym like a boss, stumbling out like the Humpty Dance. Fronts consistent, and managed 365 for a slow 5 (good mornings).

Won't be going that heavy again.

Abs.

Two more lifts then Celtober. Swag.
The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 8:13pm
Smoked legs!

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 11:58pm
People say ya look like MC Hammer on crack Humpty!!!

The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 189>
  Share Topic