Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 157158159160161 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 4:47am
I was LITERALLY just coming here to post that vid. *nerdgasm*
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 6:03am
archer animated GIF
The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 7:03am
Ultron was chilling.  I see serious potential.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 7:04am
James Spader for the win...now where is the GD Vision!!!
The man in the arena.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 9:22am
Corrected it for you.  F'in comic book nerds.

Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

I was LITERALLY just cumming here to post that vid. *nerdgasm*
www.sportkilt.com
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 11:28am
Rob for the WIN
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 11:46am
Dammit I know how to spell that!

Upper body DIE namic day. Triceps not fully recovered from the other day...made speed bench way more awesomer.

Nine triples with 275. Cake.
10x4 neutral grip db Bench w/125's. <= SUCKED.
JM Press...pffft...awful. Seriously...

Box squats tomorrow then Celtober.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

Corrected it for you.  F'in comic book nerds.

Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

I was LITERALLY just cumming here to post that vid. *nerdgasm*

Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 12:22pm
What's a box squat. I am going to miss Celtober. Hope to see you one more time in Salado before you move to New Hampshire. Words out you'll be back in 3-5 with good behavior. You were very nice to new throws, always giving us tips. This is a very friendly sport with a very few exceptions. Taking a tip from you, I hope to also sponsor some throwing gifts to some novice classes in the future. The future is looking very bright for this sport thanks to guys like you.
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Moosie Moosie wrote:

What's a box squat.

Not surprisingly, it's squatting...to a box.

But this link will help you even more:  http://bit.ly/Uwobjh

And +1 to all the good guy Duncan talk. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/14 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Moosie Moosie wrote:

What's a box squat. I am going to miss Celtober. Hope to see you one more time in Salado before you move to New Hampshire. Words out you'll be back in 3-5 with good behavior. You were very nice to new throws, always giving us tips. This is a very friendly sport with a very few exceptions. Taking a tip from you, I hope to also sponsor some throwing gifts to some novice classes in the future. The future is looking very bright for this sport thanks to guys like you.
Check this for box squat info...might give you some ideas:

I will be at Salado; Church and Beech have been bringing the wood all season, so it's going to take a victory there to nail down the SGL/TACS Championship.  Plus, Yaniv Dinter will be there; the guy used to wear me out in high school when I was little...I think it's time to return the favor.

I sincerely appreciate the compliment; it's been a long road here in Texas, and I've been lucky enough to ear hustle all the greats.  Starting with Gustin, Cosner, Baab, Woods, The Old Man, Melius, Irvin, Tyler, both Vincents, Mrs. Ventress...the list goes on and on.  Any tips or advice I gave you came directly from them.

But that's how it always begins...very small.
cinemagraph animated GIF

The man in the arena.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/14 at 8:59am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

But this link will help you even more:  http://bit.ly/Uwobjh

I clicked.  I see the main problem with google is that the first link is to bodybuilding.com.  WHAT????  Lame.  

The pictures in the BB.com link (yes, I clicked on that too) show a picture of a guy INCORRECTLY performing box squats.  Love it.

www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/14 at 10:36am
Box squats bb.com style...kidding. Didn't stack plates on the bench today so these were a shade lower. 12 doubles; started with 3 sets of 315, 3 sets of 365, 3 sets of 405, and three sets of 455.

Deadlift...kinda feeling my flow. A bunch of fast triples. Things were moving well so I kept upping the plates. Completely off the reservation and off program...but finished big.

Abs. PT.

I'm thinking Arby's.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/14 at 1:54am
Celtober...let's do this sh*t.
Hulkbuster GIF 660 12fps 256c
The man in the arena.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/14 at 8:50am
Box Squat for the Highland Athlete. Some say bad, some say good, some say not applicable. 
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/14 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

archer animated GIF

Wait... I had something for this....
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/14 at 10:28am
I say box squat applicable for HG(heck Terri James lives off them and John Smith says there a staple of his throwers weight room). I'm in
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/14 at 8:24pm
I've read the same literature about the box squat and it's "lack" of specifity, particularly as it relates to anything/anyone outside the geared powerlifter.

These will never replace the full squat for throwers, but I can definitely see the potential in these as it eliminates the rebound out of the hole and forces the squatter to generate power from a dead-stop. I keep everything tight and locked in, settle for a one-count, then drive up. Posterior chain FTW.

Some folks dig these, others do not. Just something I'm studying/incorporating into my tool box...the soreness in my hams and ace tell me I am doing something right.

YMMV.
The man in the arena.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/14 at 6:09am
+1 Big D
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/14 at 5:39pm
Celtober?

Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/14 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

I clicked.  I see the main problem with google is that the first link is to bodybuilding.com.  WHAT????  Lame.  

The link was more to the point out the laziness....google works, for damn near everything.  

And FFFFFFFFFF box squats.  Pass.  
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/14 at 6:06pm
Tonight's lift was brought to you by the letter D...

D is for "douchebag."

We all clown the "curling in the squat racks" fellas...at least I do...from time to time. They're holding up progress using a station in a manner counter to its intended purpose, and they look like pricks for doing it. Tonight was absolutely the closest I have ever been to being "that guy" and asking them to lift like men or GTFO.

Hit the base gym only to find oth racks have been taken over by ass clowns. One fella is doing some sort of Yates row/bent over row combination with 155 pounds. Complete with chalk and straps. The other rack has a dude doing curls with 10s on either end of the bar. Both of them are hip thrusting the weights and making sounds like they are in labor.

Both of them are larger than I am...think about that.

MDK MDK MDK.

Got some solid floor pressing in, kinda tired from the weekend, but happy with the weight/reps. Eight sets in I am accosted by two dudes about how my lifting isn't safe and I could probably use a spotter. "Look around you...who the FAKK is going to spot me in here?". Probably should have taken the other ear bud out so I could hear just how loud I said that. Apparently pretty loud. Oh well. Props to those cats for looking out for me, but man, doing three board presses with bench shirts and four plates per side (yeah, they absolutey were)...come on guys.

Close grip incline 4x10 w 230.

The kicker...the absolute dbaggiest thing I've ever seen/heard about in a gym: dude has on Captain America under armour and is knocking out some incline. Apparently after his second set of six the shirt became too constrictive so off comes the CA shirt and UNDERNEATH THAT MFer is A SLEEVELESS CAPTAIN AMERICA UNDER ARMOUR SHIRT.

FML.

Finished and got the hell out of there.

(Rant over)
The man in the arena.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/14 at 8:04pm
Only thing to make the story better.... Captain America yelling "Light Weight Baby" as he was lifting. That would be the cherry on top of that wonderful sundae of awesome.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 9:09am
Dude, the sooner you become that guy, the happier you'll be.  Trust me here.  You don't even need to act tough.  Just be weird in a way that makes everyone slightly uncomfortable.  Then you can just ask questions like, "Is it 'douchebags do curls night?'"
...Josh
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 9:27am
^^

Your silence is acceptance and encouragement for those folks. 

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 9:58am
"How many sets you got left in the 'curl cage' before I can squat?" works well.

Yes, use air quotes with "curl cage".
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 5:17pm
Worked up to a 475 front single. Dropped the first two, got it on the third. GMs up to 275...low back kinda tight. Leg press up to 1500 for three sets of five...weight belt included. Lots of abs.

Conditioning 10 one minute rounds on the heavy bag. The last two rounds were definitely more Butterbean than Balboa.

Oh yeah, this:

MakeMineMarvel
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 5:41pm
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/14 at 1:33am
I know right?  There better not be any Highland Games in May for the next 9 years.

Sitting here at work watching Child's Play 3.  How did it ever come to this?

success animated GIF
The man in the arena.
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/14 at 7:32am
Is that a melon hitting that chick? God that must have hurt.
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 157158159160161 189>
  Share Topic