FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 2:58am
Funny Bench story. I have not benched at ALL for 5+ years
because of the reasons listed above.

My admin at school was all jacked up to put up 300 and
needed me to spot him so I went over and he failed.   

I said "hey why not"

Put it up for a double nice and easy.

Im afraid I may get fired now.   
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 3:49am
Originally posted by dl_buffy dl_buffy wrote:

Keep in mind though...while we are diss'ing the bench...muscles work in pairs.  Your antagonist muscle should be as strong as your working muscle.

Are you trying to say you have bench to accomplish this?

"working chest" =! benching
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 4:27am
Originally posted by grasshopper grasshopper wrote:

I said "hey why not"

Put it up for a double nice and easy.

Im afraid I may get fired now.   

You made it look hard, though, right?
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 5:30am

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

"working chest" =! benching

Is it scary that a man this big is trying to use programming logic in his response....

...or scarier that my OCD really wants to correct it?

Not saying you have to bench at all...just using my exercise science degree that cost me so much I am still paying for it.  I've heard things similar to your 'no sport carry over' get expounded to 'i don't need to work chest'.  In our cases, we have such strong backs relative to the general populace, we can get hurt if we are not balanced.

Ok...done with my minutiae.  Back to throwing and watching Duncan kick all our butts with his casual weights like Greg does to my ego in his thread.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 5:35am

lol, i'm in no way saying you shouldn't be as balanced as you possibly can, nor am i knocking "pressing" in general (obv, as push press have been a staple of mine since the begining), i'm just referring to the bench press specifically.
=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 6:29am

I hate benching with a passion and think it's stupid. Incline pressing is okay I guess and I'll admit I started doing it recently. Overhead pressing and the different variations are better in my opinion and probably more usefull. I'll admit I am horrible at overhead and neglected it for many many years but have seen the light and am starting to do more of it.

As far as imbalances go, while I think there needs to be balance, I think many people are more imbalanced to the point where they need back work rather than the other way around. We've grown up with the idea that lifting meant benching and it's still the layman's first thought when thinking about lifting. I mean how many times have you been asked "how much ya bench?" I rarely have non-strength-athletes ask "how much ya pull?" Gyms all over the country are full of people in $50 affliction t-shirts benching and curling like mad, overhead work is rarely done anymore and IMO a more impressive test of strength. I'd much rather pull, squat or do some OHP than do a bench press.

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/10 at 6:56am
"Gyms all over the country are full of people in $50 affliction t-shirts benching and curling like mad, overhead work is rarely done anymore and IMO a more impressive test of strength."

For those about to rock, Travis, we salute you.

I truly loathe those non-lifter types.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 12:45am

Monday...A little note...I really wanted to get after it this morning.  Set the alarm for 4:00 a.m. and headed to the gym.  Freezing outside.  One nosebleed later, this is what I have to show for it:

Bench...(Yeah, whatever!!!)

315x5x5

Squat

315x10x5...Done as quickly as possible.  Down to 90 then popping up out of the bucket.  Gettin' my Vincent on!  Except they do it with 500 pounds.

Tricep Pushdown...These count

250x15x5

GoodMornings...JC the legs were shaking.  Feet a bit wider than normal, good and slow on the way down then quick on the upswing.

315x10x5

Iso Shoulder Press...Nautilus Machine, 4 45's per peg (Not sure what the apparatus weighs so I did not incorporate that into the total)

180 per arm...360 total...360x8x5

The Killer...WTH was I thinking.  See, all this time I thought advice from Myles and Don and the Baabasaur would be great.  Clearly, those men are much tougher than I am. 

Snatch Grip RDL's with wraps...Not the widest grip ever, but passable.

405x15x3

Nose started pouring blood after the second set...cold air caused it I'm sure; I had no gas left so it wasn't intensity.

Total Reps = 285

Total Pounds = 92775

Tonnage = 92775/2000 = 46.3875

I don't math so well...feel free to check/correct it. 

Probably some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise, at night... in... eel-infested waters...

The man in the arena.
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Probably some local fisherman, out for a pleasure cruise, at night... in... eel-infested waters...

Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 2:34am
Inconceivable.
Dave Barron
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 6:34am

anybody want a peanut?

Dunczilla, you doing any core specific stuff?

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 6:55am

Core-specific...hmmm...

I have Zerchers Wednesday, does that count?  Front squats with all the abs tight?  I used to do plate winds all the time, working on the heel/toe transition, but can't really do that at the moment.  I do lots of ab work for a fat man (hard to tell, I know) and as soon as I can run around again (no running for the time being) I will be living in a plyometric hell.

Frankly, I never really saw the point of core exercises in and of themselves; in my opinion, which is both free and simultaneously worthless, my core gets enough work.  I would much rather focus on the posterior chain than doing loads of core work.  Personally, I feel like the whole idea of "core" is something made popular in "fitness centers" and "health clubs."  Something that can be slapped all over wobble boards, ab-rollers, and those inflatable balls..."This will make your core strong!"

Now, I will be the first to admit that mine is probably not the example to follow here.  Core-crushers must be at least partially legit, or folks like Hadley wouldn't do them.  Weak abs = Sore back.  I don't typically have a sore back, so I assume my abs are strong enough.  And we know assumption is the mother of all scew-ups.

I guess if you consider your hip flexors part of your "core" then yes, I work those, or will, when my knee is all better.  Sprints sprints sprints.  Drag the sled.  Makes you greasy fast, ala Baab, and has a direct translation to caber...remember Nathan Burchett, aka Barry Allen, in Minnesota?  Zoom-zoom.

The man in the arena.
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 11:03am
IMO, the only ab work most HG athletes need (aside from pulls, presses, etc.) is some twisting exercise like Russian twists.  Aside from my closed-chain exercises, I used to do nothing but a couple of sets of those at my old commercial gym.  There was a guy there (who had an incredible physique and excellent strength genetics, BTW) who was maniacal about his ab exercises.  He was always coming up with new ones and saying, "Oh, these are killers!  I bet you can't do this one!"  Every once in a while, I'd try one of his crazy exercises and find I had no difficulty whatsoever doing them.  He couldn't understand it.  I don't know if he thought I was cheating, had naturally good abdominals, or what.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/10 at 1:24pm

i tend to agree with the notion of the "globo gym/tony little core" stuff that provides lots of marketing opportunities and not necessarily any meaningful results.

My thoughts on core have more to do with throwing specific core work designed to functionally strenghen the connection between your two planes, the lower and upper body.  the lower body generates alot of force.  if its not translated to the upper body and out to your levers, you're running in quicksand.  and, they are great for developing timing.

I think stuff like core crushers, cable side pulls, suitcase carry, hammer winds, plate twists, etc.  are probably pretty good stuff.  during the 08/09 offseason i got away from working the core thinking the training i was doing was good enough.  well, look at my numbers.  they were subpar, AND i pulled an ab.

I think Ryan Vierra is a good example of someone who does alot of throwing specific core work.  he's not bad.

much love. 

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/10 at 1:20pm
I have to say that not everybody in the gym is a 250 pound iron eating monster that rips out Olympic lifts in their sleep.

I don't laugh at the women sitting on the mat and stretching, or doing lifts with a light medicine ball, or curling 8 pound weights.  If rolling on  a big purple latex ball gets them to come into the gym and do some sit-ups, then that's great.  If they sign up for a health and wellness class and it gets them in the gym and they firm up some muscles and lose a little fat and get their heart rate up and it makes them feel good about themselves, then more power to 'em.   I don't snicker at guys who are my age and who are incline pressing 30 pound dumbells, either. It beats all hell out of sitting in your office all day.

In my gym there's a petite little lady with a ponytail who's so cute it'll make your eyes cross and she does her workout really slowly, really carefully, with attention to form. She' focused and she's disciplined and on a regular schedule. She uses the wobble boards and the bosu's and  the latex balls and the neoprene coated weights and she looks *Great*.

She could care less about heaving great big weights over bars.

etc. etc.  you get my point, I'm sure.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/10 at 12:54am

Alan,

Sounds like I owe you an apology Hoss.  I have love for just about everyone who goes to the gym on a mission.  I used a Bosu ball for the first time yesterday in physical therapy...good Lord...that was no punk.

I hate "fads."  I really dislike the way we are led around by the nose by folks like Jillian Michaels, Billy Blanks, Dr. Phil...I believe in my heart we are losing/relinquishing our ability to be free-thinkers.  Nothing p*sses me off more than seeing folks doing cosmetic lifts wearing NASA-inspired "As Seen on TV" thermal suits and Nike Livestrong Ultra gloves with a $13 bottle of water distilled from Tiger Wood's sweat glands.

It's about effort, not appearance.  This crap floating around the gym makes my head hurt.

But you are right Big Man...it is for me to think and not to say.  Please accept my apology; I would never diminish or cheapen the efforts of someone who is giving fitness a chance.

Duncan

We really shook the pillars of heaven, didn't we Wang?

The man in the arena.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/10 at 6:54am
Oh, it's not you, Duncan....it's all of us.  Think and say it here, I'd rather have you or any of us say it here than go off on a smaller guy in the gym who's just starting out, or maybe has a chronic injury that we don't know about, of maybe just isn't there to get big.  There are a mess of guys in their 50'sand 60's who work out regularly in my gym.   They're all a lot smaller than I am, they don't throw or do anything like that. They're there to stay fit and keep some muscle tone and keep that body going so that they live full lives and stay active for a long time.

Sounds pretty good to me, and if rolling around on a purple latex ball helps with that, then mate....go right ahead and roll. It ain't hurtin' me any.

Yeah, the $13 bottles of water and cultured llama-skin gloves are pretty silly.  In my gym, the latest fad is to buy a brand new, perfectly good tight under-armour shirt and rip the sleeves off. Oh brother!!!  But if that's what it takes to get someone into the gym to do some work and tone up and slim down, then how does it hurt you and me?

My wife, for example.  She'll do some light weights for circuit training, but mostly she just loves to dance. She goes to Broadway-dance type classes and hip-hop.  The girls in class have their little wardrobes of dance outfits.  Now, she's not stupid so she hasn't dropped thousands of dollars on her "wardrobe", but she does have eight or ten little "exercise outfits"...  I say....who the hell cares?

It's her money, she gets in there and dances her ass off, and when it comes time for us to go backpacking, she loads 42 pounds on her back and she'll KILL me on a mile-long ascent at altitude when I'm carrying 55.  I figure...honey, if you want to buy a new pair of hot little black pants because this season all the girls are wearing capris instead of ankle length, then go right ahead and buy 'em.

Now, as for too many of us giving up our ability to think for ourselves.....you'n me, brother.  I'm ..... sadly.....totally on board with your thoughts there.  It's another discussion, but yeah.  Oh yeah.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/10 at 6:59am
BTW, Duncan, there's a reason why I'm writing all this in YOUR fitness thread, and not some of the others.  That's a compliment.

Hope I get to shake your hand and kill a beer with you at Pleasanton, this year.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/10 at 7:30am

Alan,

If my knee will hold me I'll be there, provided there is room for a Texan. 

Went to my first physical therapy session yesterday and, not only was my therapist a freeking Goddess (Think Cate Blanchett in Lord of the Rings) but so help me God she had purple eyes!!!  AND she is addicted to pain.  I was breathing ridiculously hard afterwards.  I have over 120 degrees of bend in my left (busted) leg, and the strength is there...now I have to work lateral stability.  That's the phrase that pays.  Hello one-legged squats!  Running in a month, maybe throwing in two.  Time to get serious!

I take it as a compliment Alan.  We'll discuss the heavier things on the racetrack Hoss.  See you in a few months.

The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/10 at 7:32am

If my knee will hold me I'll be there, provided there is room for a Texan. 

I hope they have room for two.  Hoping to make the trip again this year.

dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/10 at 7:43am

I was breathing ridiculously hard afterwards.  I have over 120 degrees of bend in my left (busted) leg, and the strength is there...now I have to work lateral stability.  That's the phrase that pays.  Hello one-legged squats!  Running in a month, maybe throwing in two.  Time to get serious!

Band walks in a squat, steps, side step with bands, etc, etc.  They ALL frikken hurt!!  But, made me better again, so should work great for you too.

Funny the rehab girl...mine was a pistol and I loved setting her off.  So I would bitch 'n moan to get her riled up then take what she gave me.  I would'a dated her in a heart beat...but was taken at the time.

Hoping to see you throwing again this year too!

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/10 at 12:12pm
Yeah, I had a physical therapist about 20 years ago.........

Oh, never mind.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/10 at 11:57pm

Cue theme music...

Monday

Bench

315x5x6

Shoulder Press...I cheated...all we had was a Smith Machine

3 Wheels per sidex5x10 (For Speed)

Icarian Wide Bench Machine...got to start filling out my tshirts

4 wheels per sidex5x10

Cambered Curls

70x5x20

Tricep Pushdown

305x5x10

Leg Press

Sets of 10 (starting with 5 plates per side) until I got 11 plates+5 per side...forgot that the sled weighs 54 pounds (Must be Canadian)...Last set was 1054x10

Rehab...well...my therapist says "You did how much?  Yeah, therapy is done."  I'll go back and start with them again once I can run...in 4 months.  Which is right before I can do Olympic lifts...in 6 months.  All that for a $30 co-pay.  Mortals...

They should have just kicked me in the p-kow...

The man in the arena.
crazysaladboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazysaladboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/10 at 5:27am
i have really enjoyed reading this log. very impressive lifting. looking forward to competing against you again.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/10 at 5:36am

Thursday at LA Fitness = Cougar Thursday...if I ever needed an excuse to go to the gym...

Squats

315x5repsx3sets, 405x5x2, 455x3x2, 500x1...yeah, that really happened...finished we 315x5x3 for speed

Close Grip Decline (No real reason...just felt like it)

315x5x5, 365x4x2, 405x1

Partial Deads...give or take 12 inches off the floor for a starting position...again for speed

405x5x5, 495x5x3, 585x5x3

Snatch Grip Straight Leg Deads...stretch reflex FTW

225x10x3

Tricep Pushdown

305x8x5

Tricep Overheads...done with split stance and rope attachment

200x25x4 (Alternating stance)

Cambered Bar Curls

80x10x5

Getting there...slowly but surely.

The man in the arena.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/10 at 6:59am

Running in a month, maybe throwing in two.  Time to get serious!

What is this "running" you speak of? It reminds me of this fad in the 70s called ?yogging....apparently you just run??..??

Great lifting Hoss! Very proud of how you are handling this injury, in attitude and passion in the gym. I haven't seen you have one hickup.  And geez still, a busted knee and you're still pulling upper 500s. Nice!

MM

Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
Quint T Melius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 1:55am

Duncan,

If I some up friday night before the clinic next week are we going to go lift?

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 4:11am

Dude,

I would not miss a chance to lift with THE Quint Melius.  Honored and humbled.  Count on it bro.  Might even drag Johnny Irvin to the gym...

Will be good times partner.

The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 4:15am

How long were you at the gym?  Lots o' poundage. 

Strong fellow.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 5:00am

An hour and a half...maybe a little more.  I go fast man.  Especially when I can superset things.  The decline bench is right next to the tricep machine which is right next to the cambered bars.  I can knock that stuff out quick.  Did squats, stripped some of the wheels off, dropped it down to the pegs and rolled right into partial deads.  Finished those, dropped weight to 225 and pulled it out of the rack to the floor and went for the snatch grip deads. I don't like to go to the gym and screw around. 

I read somewhere if you are in the gym for more than 2 hours you aren't making gains, you are making friends.

I would probably benefit from a little more rest.

I guess I am resistant to change.  There has been some discussion/research to suggest that more rest is better for strength/power athletes...get your gas back and then get after it again.  I have been blessed with fast recovery from heavy lifting days/high volume days, so I probably push a little harder than others...maybe to my detriment, maybe not.  On the other hand, I have found that a solid base in nutrition makes a difference; so much of that recovery comes from hydration, good protein intake, etc.

Could I cut down the number of exercises I do per session?  Yup.  Could I lighten the load and still make solid gains?  Maybe.

We'll see in 2011.  Until then, it is on whoever reads this to teach me something through your example.

The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 189>
  Share Topic