FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: KellEm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: KellEm
    Posted: 8/17/10 at 7:57am
This is a log about Kelly Niklason ans Emily Burchett.  We both have training logs here as well but thought it would be an interesting idea to talk about our progress working together.  We have been training together for the past week and have about 2 more weeks of training together.

Workout program written by Richard Sorin. 

Incline Bench:  Medium grip. Kelly tore me up on this one...can you tell how much I work out my arms?!

Emily: 85lbs 3x4. Went up to 90lbs and had assistance for the last three...just like a wuss.

Kelly: 85lbs x4, 90 x4, 95 x4, 100 x4.  Struggled with 4th rep. Yeah, pretty much a BEAST!

Hex Diamond Bar Press:

Emily: 65lbs 5x5. Couldn't push out a few of the last reps.

Kelly:  65lbs 4x5.  Last set with 70lbs...Just like a super trooper. 

Muscle Snatch. 7x2

Emily: Start at 50lbs and ended with 80lbs

Kelly: Start at 50lbs and ended at 80lbs. 

Triplex Pull off blocks: Close, Med, and wide grips.  3x3 at each grip.
Started at 50lbs and ended at 90. Kelly just went on like a trooper again and did an extra set at 95lbs for fun.  They felt really light for both of us.

Assisted Pull-ups:  3x8. Love these!

Shrugs:  3x12.  Added 50lbs to the huge shrug contraption for the first set. Did 70lbs for second set. 75lbs for our third. 

DB Hammer Curls: 5x6.  Both arms at one time.  Started at 15lb DBs ended at 40lb DBs.

Threw with the Pockoski's for a few hours.  Got some great advice and have a lot to work on.  They have Kelly doing line drills. They told me to plant my feet and to wait more.

Threw the open stone, heavy/light weight and hammers.  Form to work on.  I'm learning on shifting weight in Hammers. Kelly was working on keeping the hammer smooth and a little bit of upper body work.

Such a great training day. Sweet, awesome people!
Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so, if he hollers let him go, and Bingo was his name-o.
Limey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/10 at 6:36am
I have been throwing stones...because I suck at them. And a LOT of
hammer...because I suck even more at them. Trying to be more smooth
in stones and not jump through my power position. Hammers I am
adding a wind and shifting the weight from foot to foot better. Threw
sheaf around 20 times and had a few good pulls.

Kelly has been doing line drills like crazy. She's knocking on 40ft in
hwfd. Watch out all you ladies!!! BAM!!!!!

Wed- 18th.

Overhead squat: 5x3
Kelly started at 80lbs and I think I started at 75. She ended at 90lbs and I
ended at 85.

Front squat: 6x2
From 135 up to 155. Kelly tried at 160 for a 7th but just one rep.

Back squat: 3x5 at 160llbs

1 Leg lunge KB 3x6. Two 25lb kettlebells. I think I was failing at the last
rep sometimes. BOOO

Good Mornings: 4x10 at 65lbs. Practicing on keeping my back straight...
this one felt light.

Fri-20th.

Medium Grip Bench: 5x5.
Kelly went from 85lbs to 120. She made one rep at 120 but needed
assistance for last four.

I started at 85, for 2 sets and 95 for three sets. Bench felt better than
usual for me. Working on pushing from the hips and getting my lower
bod into my lifts.

Push-Press with Hex Bar: 6x3
Kelly went from 85 up to 110.
I started at 85 and went up to I believe 95. It was the most painful
experience of my life... Not used to the Hex bar and how wide it was. Oh
well...It builds character!!

Thick Bar Dead: Double overhand 7x2.
started at 110 and we both made it to 160 with little grip trouble. We
went to 165 and 170 and we both had grip trouble with that. I got some
awesome skin grafts on my legs with that bar!!!!

Reg Bar Dead: overhand grip. 2x4 160lbs.

Heavy Kettlebell swings: 5x6. Warmed up with 55 and Kelly went up to
88. I think I stayed at 70 to try and get the hip drive down...it wasn't
pretty.

We both did some chin ups to end the day!!! Somewhere around 3x8...

Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so, if he hollers let him go, and Bingo was his name-o.
kellynik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellynik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/10 at 4:01pm
Boo YA!!!!  We had a blast tonight training at Donnie Thompson's compound.... and The Breeze was there too! 

We learned about box squats and got some sweet band stretches for warming up and he worked on our bench and deadlift form.  Super fun stuff.  I personally, have never lifted w chains before but we got to play with some of that stuff!  He added them to our bench.  

No late moonlight throwing tonight- we'll get back on that tomorrow.

Happy weekend and happy training all!!!!
kellynik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellynik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/10 at 3:10am
(Day 4 of program)

1- Overhead Squat 3x3 AW- Ascending Weight
85-90-95

2- Back Squat 7x2 (AW)
warm up 135
1-145   2- 155  3- 160  4-165  5-170  6-175  7-180

3- Partial Squats 3x12 (SW)
last time was 175
1-180 2&3-190

4- Caber Hurricane  4x4 (AW)
(ughhhh.. not my favorite- mostly because I haven't figured out how to do it properly- Ems got these down good- even though "we are built totally different"- and it's so often brought to our attention by others- LOL- We are lifting the same.) 
110-115-120-125

5-Hammer Curls- Alternating Hands 5x5 (AW)
30x2
35x1
40x1
45x1

Today felt good other than my lower back hurting a little.  Shane gave me some stretches that should help and I need to warm up for training w 3x10 back extensions and do some kind of "dead bug" ab stretches. LOL    Last Friday's workout was frustrating for me because I was rushing through it to get to work on time and I didn't get the increases I wanted.... It did however make me feel better when I went after the deads at Donnie's place later that evening.  Today was good too w the increases.  So, now we get ready to drive up and train with...............The Pockoski Trifecta!!!!!  That Bella is a tough coach!!!!  LOL  Happy Training Everyone!!!

Limey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/10 at 8:57am
Training with the Pockoski family was super amazing...as usual.  Hit the stones really hard and I finally figured out what they meant when they told me to wait on it. Bad habits die hard. Hit my positions and ripped some stones about 40ft. Some over, some under. Stone was a tad under 8lbs so now I just gotta throw that far with a stone that weighs in.  Smurf yeah!!!  Kelly's working on a full spin and is rocking some good position as well.

Weights were going well. Kelly had done practically a million line drills and some with a wire hammer...not gonna lie...it looked sweet.  She was learning to wait on the weight and not let it get behind her.  I had a few okay pulls in heavyweight, but they were not staying in.  Then I had to go over the fence after a lightweight and hopefully dodged the poison ivy.  I almost died when Mike broke a light weight in mid throw...the weight broke the fence and the handle went the opposite direction and almost broke my face.  Good times. 

Threw some hammer and Kelly is working on keeping it smooth and getting more butt into the throw.  I wanted to be as cool as Kate Burton and threw my hammer with a weight belt...I was hoping it would add like 20ft to my throws so I wouldn't suck so bad. 

Limey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/10 at 11:34am
Here we go...

Incline Bench: (Or the Devil's press)  Kelly showed her sets who was boss with a set of 4x4 starting at 90 and getting up to 105lbs.  She needed help only her last rep of her last set.

I started at 90 and stayed at 95lbs for my last sets. I think I also ad help on the last rep of the last set.

Diamond bar press 5x5. Kelly did her first 4 sets with 70lbs and moved down to 60 for her last set.

I stayed at 60 the whole time because that is a painful movement. Golly Miss Molly...

Muscle Snatch: From 60lbs to 90lbs  for 7x2.  I did a funky little jig on my last one and couldn't lock out my last rep!!! FOR PETE'S SAKE!!

Shrugs:  3x12 with a 100lb bar and we added 50lbs and ended adding 90lbs.

Triplex pull: started at 55lbs and got up to 95lbs.

Kelly had to make it to work, so we only got to do like 8 pull ups each and did two sets of Hammer curls each at 40lbs for 6 reps.

kellynik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellynik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/10 at 3:50pm
Just want to note why my lifting sounds a tad wussy... I was doing 105 for my incline and on the 4th rep was struggling and did some weird twisty thing with my back.  After this my upper back hurt pretty bad... which is also why I dropped back on my Diamond Bar Press. 

This evening we went by "The Compound" and spent some time with "The Breeze".  Got my back fixed- Donnie did some thing where I laid down on my belly and he made all sorts of stuff pop and crack in my back- then Breeze worked the trigger point under my scapula... Honestly, my back feels a MILLION times better! 

So, since I hurt myself due to bad form, Breeze, worked with me on my bench.  Learned a lot of stuff, which I'm sure most people know.... like press your shoulder blades together and push them into the bench.  LOL  Breathing.. all that kind of stuff. 

kellynik View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellynik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/10 at 3:41pm
Last night Thurs, we went to "The Compound" and did Richard Sorins Squat Day.  We had FUN!!!!  Met a nice kid named Dex and got lots of advice and coaching from "The Breeze".

Overhead Squats 5x3 @100lbs

Front Squat 6x2 AW
1-135lb
2-140
3-145
4-150
5-155
6-160
7-165

Back Squat 3x5 SW
1- 185
2- 185 Breeze made me go back down on weight since I was wobbly
3- 160

Bulgarians w 35lb DB 3x5

Good Mornings 4x10 85lb

1 leg KB Deadlift double handed 55lbs 3x10  these killed!!!  :)

Then 3 sets of 10 back extension... stretching etc

Tonight we worked out with Suzanne at Sportsgym!!!  Sassy Suz Rocks!!!!!!  Her lifts in the gym reflect how she almost stole the MWC!!!!  ;)  I wanna be more Suztastic when I grow up!

so... I think we did snatches

Back Presses???

Some Jerks... LOL 

Box Squats!!!!  :)  

I had a great girls lift night!

Oh... Miss Emily now has a nickname given to her by Breeze.... I LIKE IT.... think it'll stick.... he has named her..........WONDER   LOL

He calls her  WONDER  all the time, but you know what?????  It completely suits her. 

Happy Training!!!!
KELLY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic