Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Robin Knebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/15 at 4:47pm
what was the change in how you stuck the bag?
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/15 at 11:01pm
Jon, not sure if I'll be able to describe it so it will make sense but here goes...

Normally I stick the bag at one of the corners about 3 or so inches back from the corner, and have the tines come out about 3 or so inches on the other side of the corner. What I saw Dave do a couple years ago was stick the bag in the same spot but hold his fork more vertically so his tines didn't come out of the bag until they were half way down the bag. Feels weird at first but it was flying after I got the hang of it.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/15 at 9:01am
That makes sense. essentially taking a bigger bite out of the bag with your fork.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/15 at 1:23am
Alaska Games:

First off I spent 4 full days in Alaska and had an awesome time.  Although we stay in and compete in a small town it's only about 50 minutes from Anchorage and the turnout was pretty awesome.  Tim Kincaid did just about everything in his power to take care of us in every way imaginable.  The time I spent with the guys outside of the competition was great and the competition was great.  Really happy to have gotten the opportunity and although it's pretty much impossible for me to make it back next year, I hope that the following year and many years after I will be able to continue getting invited up to Alaska.

Events:  I don't think I remember the inches on any of my throws but I can at least give ball park #'s.

22# Braemar:  39+.  I was hoping for more but still wasn't unhappy.  It was a good stone and I came in 3rd behind Spencer and Jon O'Neil.

20# Open stone:  44+.  This was the first time I've thrown an open stone any heavier than 17+.  Was hoping for a little more but this still a pretty solid throw with this stone.  I again came in 3rd to Spencer who broke the field record that's been held by Vierra for a long time, and Jon O'Neil.

HWFD:  38+.  I was crushing warm ups and once I got in the box things got all wonky and I couldn't get ahold of one.  This hurt me pretty bad in the overall.  I believe I came in 5th out of 6th.

LWFD:  79+.  Best throw I've had in my last couple comps.  Still having some little issues with my hand but I don't think that it is affecting my throws anymore.  Just gotta get better here.  Took Second to Spencer who beat me on his last throw I believe by 1/4".

Heavy Hammer/Light Hammer:  95+ and 120+.  Hammers felt absolutely terrible.  I haven't been throwing much in between competitions because I've been busy.  I'm beginning to think I need to spend a significant amount more practicing.  This was the worst I've felt throwing hammer in a long time.  Nate crushed both hammers...really impressive.  Think I was dead last in heavy hammer and 5th in light hammer.

WOB/Knock off Bar:  16'.  Spencer myself and Jon all cleared 16' fairly easily.  The field record was 16'7 so we wanted to go up to 16'8, but there was something weird going on with the standards and they couldn't get it it any lower than 16'10.  So we went with that.  Had 2 really good pulls that "had the height"  blaghhhh....but they did, but couldn't clear it.  Spencer got cleared it on his last attempt.

Caber: Not sure where I scored but I believe I took 4th.  We went through 3 comp cabers before finally settling on the 3rd.  First was too easy. Second was almost impossible and the 3rd wasn't much easier.  Caber is beginning to go better for me but still got a long ways to go.

After the comp we sat around and crushed a keg and then went into town and showed the people in Palmer how we do...things got a little crazy.  Won't go into too much detail but we definitely had a good time.  The next morning I was going fishing so I probably should have went to bed more than 2 hours before I had to get up and also not have been darn near blackout hammered.  So, Ryan woke me up to go fishing the next morning and I got up and made it happen....but the first half of the day was f'kn rough...  Lots of weird/good stories from charter that I won't go into detail about...but it was still a lot of fun w/ a bunch of weird shit going down.  I believe between Ryan, Jon, and myself we caught somewhere between 70-90 lbs of silver salmon.  Overall I had a great time and can't wait to do it again.

Next up is Portland followed by the Claw and Estes Park....maybe Celtic...I hope!
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/10/15 at 12:41am
Been busy so I haven't been posting much.

Throws today.

Hwfd: most everything around 40'

Lwfd: felt great today.   Shortest was 81+, furthest was 85+ which would be a pr for me, both practice and competition.

Light hammer no blades: Pretty ruff with no blades but managed to throw around 115.

Edited by rknebel - 7/10/15 at 8:26pm
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/15 at 12:44am
Practice tonight.

First, I somehow hurt my shoulder this weekend and have no clue how I did it.   I wanted to practice on Sunday but my shoulder was hurting. It hurts to reach up or across my body. I have Portland this weekend so I decided to get out on the field today to see what my shoulder would or wouldn't allow me to do.   Luckily it didn't really bother me throwing and I don't think I'll have any issues with it this weekend.

Hwfd: Long of 44+

Lwfd: Took about 5 full throws and they were all between 81 and 83.

WOB: Felt great today.   Hit 16'3 easy with right and left hand.   Took 1 pull at 17' but couldn't get it over.   Wanted to take a few more but I could hear a cold beer calling me from the fridge...so I answered is call.

Big comp this weekend. 8 of the current top 12 for 2015 will be there.   It's gonna be fun but pretty competitive.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/15 at 7:42am
Good luck big man! 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:04pm
Thanks buddy. We'll see you in a couple weeks. Congrats on the wedding btw.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/15/15 at 7:37am
Originally posted by rknebel rknebel wrote:

Wanted to take a few more but I could hear a cold beer calling me from the fridge...so I answered is call.

Gets me every time......good luck this weekend!
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/15 at 12:32am
A cold beer wins 100% of the time every time at the end of a hot day.....thanks Tony!
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/15 at 3:21am
Portland Games:

I'll make this quick since it's almost a week out.

Portland Stone: 14'10". PR for me with this big nasty stone.

Open Stone: 44'6". Worst open stone has felt all year and it showed.

HWFD: 43'8". Good for 4th I believe...wtf?

LWFD: 86'1". PR and good for 3rd...wtf?

Hammers: Not good. 95' and 120'.

Wob: 16' clean. Good for first.

Got the Claw this weekend. Big talk has been everyone fighting for that last spot at Webster Worlds in Pleasanton. Supposedly it's between Nick, Nate, Jake, Chuck, and Spencer....but based off my calculations if I happen to turn a 12:00 on the caber that puts me ahead of all of them. I do have a little extra fire in my belly going into the weekend feeling like I may be getting overlooked. I still hope the best for everyone and I hope they all bring their game...but I'm no punk either...
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/15 at 3:31am
Do work.
The man in the arena.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/15 at 8:30am
Motivation.......
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/15 at 8:32am

....but based off my calculations if I happen to turn a 12:00 on the caber that puts me ahead of all of them.

Are they using a ranking board for the invites now?
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/15 at 9:03am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

....but based off my calculations if I happen to turn a 12:00 on the caber that puts me ahead of all of them.

Steve Conway mentioned on FB that the last American spot will go to the highest ranked American on the 2015 NASGA Pro board (minus sheaf as it won't be contested). 
www.sportkilt.com
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/15 at 11:08am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Steve is using the 2015 pro ranking board to determine who gets the last American invite. Highest ranking pro from January 1 to after the claw that hasn't got an invite yet will get the last spot.....minus sheaf.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 343536
  Share Topic