Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Athlete Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Interview with Kerry Overfelt (12/22/09)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Kerry Overfelt (12/22/09)
    Posted: 8/24/11 at 7:41am
Interview with Kerry Overfelt (12/22/09)

Here is my interview with Kerry Overfelt.  Most of you know him as a top thrower in the pro ranks.  And that he is.  He is also our clown prince of the games.  I mean that with all respect, as the guy puts on a show.  He knows the people are there in the stands to see a show and he delivers.  Not only does he throw far and high, he has a great time doing it and puts it all out for the fans. 

I met Kerry at my very first game.  It was an SSAAA game with Kay.  I brought my mom, dad, wife and one daughter to the game and did not know what to expect.  I had not even seen all the events before this.  Kerry, K Monster, David Lyttle, Larry Brock, St.Clair were all there.  I was doing weight for height and ending my day and I was doing pretty decent.  I was about 10 feet out in front of the bar and I tossed a 15.  Kerry told the others not to tell me anything.  Of course he was joking as Kerry has helped me as much as anyone.  I have literally taped him on the phone and gone out to throw while listening to him.  He is a very good man, a good friend and an ambassador for the sport.  So here you have him.

How old are you?

38 Years old

Where do you live now?

Loretto, Kentucky

Tell us some about your wife

My wife is a hard working woman, she is a great person and a great mother.  She owns her own salon and is also very hot.

Tell us about your kids, names and ages

I have four step kids.  Heather who is 19, Jaren is 18, Hannah is 12(your biggest fan), and Christopher who is 11.  All my kids are very involved in sport.

Tell us what you do for a living

I own a personal training business.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in rural Kentucky and then at the age of 6 moved to Cave City.

What sports did you play as a kid and tell us about it.

I played football in high school, I was not a very good athlete.

How did you get into weight lifting and at what age?

I started into weight training when I was 16, I had no idea what I was doing but I was looking at Muscle and Fitness and I started doing some of the exercises in the books.

Tell us about you in high school.

I was chubby until my senior year and I grew some and it made me look like I was husky, not fat.  I was not very athletic, or I did not think so.  I had lots of friends and was always trying to mack on some girl. Hahahahahaha.

Tell us about after high school, what you went into.

After high school I went one year to Eastern Kentucky College, then got out and tried working.  During my time at Eastern I got into weight lifting big time.  I entered into 4 bodybuilding shows and was hooked on working out. 

What was your first game and who was there?

My first game was the Glasgow Highland Game.  Todd McDougal was there.  He won that day.  I never really started into the games until 1998 when I was done with football. 

What was your favorite game as an AM?

My favorite game as an AM was all of them.  I loved the Jacksonville games in Florida.  I loved any southern games in the early part of the year.

How did you get onto the Highland games?

One day while working out with Brett Underwood who owned the local gym in Glasgow, he decided we should go try these games the Glasgow Highland Games.  Bam, that was it, I was hooked even though I sucked. 

Who did you first train with and who coached you?

I always have trained myself, but I have had many coaches along the way.  David Lyttle, Kearney Smith, Ryan Vierra was a big help a few years ago and still is.  Don Stewart helped me a few years ago with my lifting routine.  I have never had someone throwing with me that has coached me, I am self taught for the most part. 

You had to compete with David Lyttle, Chris St.Clair and K Monster a lot, what was that like?

Competing with Dave is always a blast.  That guy is a top notch soul that I feel it is an honor for me to know him.  K dogg and I have been together for a long time, I consider him to be a dear friend.  St.Clair is a big time bragging machine, hahahahaha just kidding.  St.Clair and I have been through a lot of battles together and I always love me some Chris at a game.  I love each of these guys.  The have helped me a lot through my career.  These guys have been so much fun to compete with.  I have so many stories and memories with these guys. 

What is your favorite event?

56 for Distance because I feel so confident with that implement.

When you talk to your fork, what do you say? 

My fork and I have a special relationship.  I try and talk it into getting that bag over the bar.  Of course the crowd loves it so a lot of times I just jibber to it. 

When you lift, what philosophy to you follow? Arnold, Kaz, Louie, Dorian, ect...

My lifting philosophy is basically geared more toward Louie Simmons I guess.  Years ago it would have been Dorian Yates style.  My arms looked good, but I did not throw as far, lol.  So now I am geared more to explosive power workouts. 

What kind of lifts do you enjoy?

I enjoy training period.  Bottom line is I just love coming in and torturing myself.

What are you strong at?

I enjoy all the lifts, but I am strongest in the dead lift.

With your diet, what are you trying to accomplish each day?

Oh boy my diet, lol.  Years ago I was super clean on my eating, then I let it go and started eating whatever.  I never say any difference in my throws, so I just kept eating like crap.  I have done better this year and eaten cleaner this off season, but I always try and eat 300 grams of protein a day.  

What kind of foods do you enjoy?

I love sweets, but I have to stay away from them.  Red Velvet cake with cream cheese icing, mmmmmmmmmm.

What beverage do you drink with your meals?

Water or un sweet tea.

What kind of music do you listen to?

When I am working out, old school rap or hardcore rap, Ronnie Coleman style.  I like to piss off the want to be hard core lifters that are 170 and have to listen to heavy metal junk.  I am not a huge music lover.

When you go out to eat, what do you wear? 

Depends on the restaurant.  Usually a polo or button up shirt with shorts or khakis.  On the road with the fellows a t shirt and shorts. 

Are you a republican or democrat?

I am not a democrat or republican.

What do you like to watch on TV?

I like college football and Sienfeld.  Sons of Anarchy is my favorite right now.

Do you mow your own yard and what kind of mower do you have?

I do mow my own yard, I don’t even know what I bought.

Are you a sci fi or western movie guy and what is a favorite?

I like both but westerns are my favorite.  I love Once upon a time in the West.  Anything with Clint Eastwood . 

You travel with Craig Smith a lot, what is that like? 

Craig is a total tool.  LoL

I would have to say that traveling with Craig has been some of my best times ever in the this sport.  Traveling with him is constant humor.  We have started off for Virginia and look up and we are headed to Indiana.  That kid gets us lost a lot.  He has gotten better though.  LOL.  He is truly one of the best friends I have ever had.  He and I have had some great times.  He has to be an A-1 guy to put up with my constant yacking the whole trip.

When you do a game, you seem to play to the crowd, how did that come about?

Playing the crowd came about when I figured out the AD’s want you to entertain the crowds, so in order to get invited to more games I started acting the fool. 

What can we look to see from you this next year on the field?

I hope to be even fatter than last year, LOL.  No, seriously I am working even harder this year than ever.  I hope you see a really explosive fat kid.

Do you compete for money, or the love of the sport?

I love the sport, but who does not love money?  I do it for the competition.  I like pushing myself past what I think I can do. 

Tell me about being a Christian and how and when that came about?

I have been a Christian since I was in High School.  I just never practiced it much.  I have become more spiritual as I have gotten older.  I also have kids and I want them to grow up knowing Christ as their lord and savior. 

In our sport who and what impresses you?

Craig Smith impresses me with his athletic ability.  Larry Brock with his sick technique and pop.  Sean Betz with his hammer speed.   Ryan Vierra with his dominance in the sport for so long.  Myles Wetzel with his never say die attitude, work ethic and drive to keep going.  Dan McKim with his sick caber power.  Mark Valenti with his complete stupidity, LOL. 

Anything else you wish to add?

I would like to add that I really enjoy this sport and cherish it.  I know that god could take this from me at anytime so I try and stay very humble.  I don’t think that I am better than anyone.  If anybody ever needs help with anything on the field, all they have to do is ask, I am easy to approach. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic