Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

DIY Caber building with no trees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAT$O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Caber building with no trees
    Posted: 12/13/11 at 1:58am
http://thedriftalifta.blogspot.com/2011/10/article-diy-caber.html

October 02, 2011

ARTICLE: D.I.Y. CABER

DIY Caber
by Matt Vincent

I spent a couple hours this weekend building myself a caber to train with.  After talking to a couple people who have gone this route it seemed like something I could do with the tools that I have on hand.  My goal is to make a training caber that will last for the better part of a season.  I also want it to be heavy and hard enough to turn that I have to really go for it.  It turned out pretty sweet and I took about 15 attempts at it today.  It is a serious stick 20' x 128 lbs no taper.  I figure if I can get good at turning this then I can handle anything I will see in a contest.

What you will need:
      #1.  3 pieces of untreated lumber 2 x 6 x 20' (length can vary depending on what you want)
                 -untreated so that when you get splinters they don't get infected and it will be way to heavy.
      #2.   4 big tubes of Liquid Nail
      #3.   4" Deck Screws x 50
      #4.    Electric Drill
      #5.    Skill Saw
      #6.    Electric Sander and 40-60grit paper

driving like an asshole
Step 1-
  Find a Lumber Yard that sells 2"x6" pieces at your chosen length.  Get these monster pieces of wood home.  I don'town a trailer so I just wedged them in the back of my short wheelbase truck under the tool box and over the tailgate.  I looked like a real asshole driving with 14' of 2"x6" hanging out the ass end of my whip.  Oh well, it's just a small cost to be the boss.

Step2-
plenty of Liquid Nail
   Cover one board in 2 tubes of liquid nail.  This may be excessive but, it isn't going to hurt and I don't care if it is pretty.  They did end up being pretty by the way.

Step 3-
    Place a board on top of it.  After getting it straight I went and put about 5 screws just to hold them together tight.  I placed a couple 100# weights on them and let them sit for about 15min.  With the screws don't put them on the end that you are going to use as the bottom, I left about 5 feet.  Since you will be doing some shaping with the skill saw you don't want to cut into heavy duty screws.

Step 4-
   Repeat Step 2  and 3.  Now you and really fill these bastards full of screws.  Still leave them out of the 5' you are going to be using as the bottom.  Now let it sit in the sun or whatever you have for about 15 min.

Step 5-
1st cuts
   Take your skill saw and set it to cut at a 45* angle.  I started at the bottom and went about 5' up gradually making my way out of the board.  Do this for all 4 sides.  Now repeat this for the bottom end so you will cut all 4 sides perpendicular to the cuts you just made.  This will shape the end of it and make it kinda round.

Step 6-
    Break out the Sander and start to shape it and smooth out the bottom.  I only sanded good on the end where I would be holding it against my shoulder and the bottom for my hands.
SANDED...SMART!!!

Step7-
    Have a beer and admire your work.  Then let it dry for a day.  Then go throw it... I know this is more than one step, but I'm tired.

Edited by C. Smith - 12/13/11 at 2:08am
USPlabs
Conquest Nutrition
SPORT KILT
Clevenger Sheaves

Training LAB ebook "Strength Training for The Highland Games
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic