Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

2012 Women's Worlds - Phoenix, AZ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 Women's Worlds - Phoenix, AZ
    Posted: 12/13/11 at 5:32pm
Here are the names of the wonderful ladies invited to the 2012 Women's World Championship in Phoenix, AZ

Adrian Wilson
Kate Burton
Lacy Johnson
Emily Burchett
Kristy Scott
Kristina Sisseck
Sara Hilgers
Kate Grammer
Karyn Dallimore
Josee Morneau

I will keep this thread updated once each accepts their invite.

Thanks
Richard Wells
-RP-

Clan Brown

"It's not bragging if you can do it."
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/11 at 5:57am
Looks like another great line-up, thanks RP for your hard work making this a World Class event for these Lady Athletes.

Can't wait to see all you guys this coming March I know it will be a great competition..
MAT$O View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAT$O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/12 at 1:12am
RP-

Do you have a list of the Men's PRo line up as well?
USPlabs
Conquest Nutrition
SPORT KILT
Clevenger Sheaves

Training LAB ebook "Strength Training for The Highland Games
-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/12 at 2:32pm
Does anyone have contact info for Katie Steingraeber, Felecia Simms or Kelsie Carlson? Needed for WWC invites. They can also contact me at orpha@cox.net.

Thanks,
Richard Wells
-RP-

Clan Brown

DarlinMACE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarlinMACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 1:21am
Ooohh.. I should have said something sooner..  But then again.. you probably already know..
I am thrilled to be invited, and hope to earn a spot again next year.. But I am currently pregnant, and will not be competing again until after the baby is born. (early July)
Good luck to all the ladies!.
Thank you!
-Kate Grammer
Live, Love and Leave YOUR Mark!

"Kate Grammer"
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 5:43am
Does anyone have contact info for Katie Steingraeber, Felecia Simms or Kelsie Carlson? Needed for WWC invites. They can also contact me at orpha@cox.net.

Thanks,
Richard Wells  
Try Facebook--you don't have to be a "friend" to be able to send a message.

Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 5:50am
Originally posted by -RP- -RP- wrote:

Does anyone have contact info for Katie Steingraeber,

http://nasgaweb.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=8633
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 8:05am
A comment, here...

If someone just does a few Games a year, they very well might wind up on the "Womens A"  (or Womens B) part of the database, but not in the "Womens" part.  Case in point...go look up Shannon Popp in the "Womens A" section for 2011 and I believe you'll see her ranked at #7. 

Heather MacDonald is ranked at #8.  Bethany Owen is ranked at #12  ...2011, "Womens A" rankings.

Go find those same women in the "Womens" ranking and you'll discover that  Shannon Popp is down at #50, Heather is #13 or something and Bethany is  about #32.

How could it be that Beth Burton is not even listed..at all.... in the "Womens" database, but ranks at #4 or something in the "womens A"?  Shannon  Popp is another good example of how the rankings can be deceiving.  Shannon threw at four Games last year.  Three of them had a  Womens A class, so her numbers all got entered in "Womens A" here on NASGA. The event where they didn't have enough ladies for a "Womens A" class, also  didn't happen to throw sheaf, so in the "Womens" results she has a "0" for sheaf, which killed her in the rankings. What made it worse is that apparently that Games didn't throw Braemar stone either, so she has a "0" for that as well.  WHAMMO...

I just picked these four women...Bethany, Beth, Shannon and Heather because I happen to know them all pretty well.

If a Games has a Womens A class, and those results get entered in "Womens A" here on NASGA, then those results don't show up in the "Womens" database. It's not an automatic overlap.

Just a suggestion, my two cents.... AD's might want to look at actual numbers and look over BOTH the "Women" rankings and the "Women A" ranking when figuring out the invitations to the Worlds, and  IHGF Amateur worlds and events like that..

Edited by Alan H - 2/08/12 at 8:14am
swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

A comment, here...

If someone just does a few Games a year, they very well might wind up on the "Womens A"  (or Womens B) part of the database, but not in the "Womens" part.  Case in point...go look up Shannon Popp in the "Womens A" section for 2011 and I believe you'll see her ranked at #7. 

Heather MacDonald is ranked at #8.  Bethany Owen is ranked at #12  ...2011, "Womens A" rankings.

Go find those same women in the "Womens" ranking and you'll discover that  Shannon Popp is down at #50, Heather is #13 or something and Bethany is  about #32.

How could it be that Beth Burton is not even listed..at all.... in the "Womens" database, but ranks at #4 or something in the "womens A"?  Shannon  Popp is another good example of how the rankings can be deceiving.  Shannon threw at four Games last year.  Three of them had a  Womens A class, so her numbers all got entered in "Womens A" here on NASGA. The event where they didn't have enough ladies for a "Womens A" class, also  didn't happen to throw sheaf, so in the "Womens" results she has a "0" for sheaf, which killed her in the rankings. What made it worse is that apparently that Games didn't throw Braemar stone either, so she has a "0" for that as well.  WHAMMO...

I just picked these four women...Bethany, Beth, Shannon and Heather because I happen to know them all pretty well.

If a Games has a Womens A class, and those results get entered in "Womens A" here on NASGA, then those results don't show up in the "Womens" database. It's not an automatic overlap.

Just a suggestion, my two cents.... AD's might want to look at actual numbers and look over BOTH the "Women" rankings and the "Women A" ranking when figuring out the invitations to the Worlds, and  IHGF Amateur worlds and events like that..

To add to this as well, many of the top Canadian Women who are ranked on CSAF's ranking page have no scores on Nasga.
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

Jeff Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 9:33am
Richard,
Katie and Kelsie's emails are in your inbox.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 10:03am
I mean... AD's can run events however they darned well want.  I mean no disrespect here, and Lord knows that I'm 100% for giving the lasses some top-notch competition, and good venues to throw at.

Still,  if you're going to call an event "The Worlds"... or something high-falutin' like that, it only makes sense to make sure that you've  at least covered most of your bases, in terms of finding the best throwers you can.  'nuff. No more bitchin' about it!
-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 4:38pm
Alan & Ray,

Just to set your minds at ease... I looked a lot deeper into whom I was inviting to the WWC than a ranking on a few web pages. I actually pulled throwing data, put it into a database, extracted data and came up with what I felt was the best WWC lineup. After coming up with my lineup I consulted with Ryan Seckman, whom has ran the WWC with great success for several years, and gave him a rundown of my data results and he felt that what I came up with was more than valid results.

RP Wells
-RP-

Clan Brown

swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 5:04pm
Hey RP,

Sorry I never meant to come across as if I was criticizing you about your line up, I merely wanted to point out that there is a CSAF ranking page in case you did not know and that some of the women on there do not show up on NASGA's.

Thanks
Ray
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

w00st3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w00st3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/12 at 1:41pm
Why is it these women compete and care to enter scores on nasga, if nasga isnt being used to select women for a 'worlds' competition, shouldn't these gals know about all avenues that may keep record hope to keep good marks throuought like the 3 part highland credit score. What good is the nasga database if its not used for the sole purpose in which it was created...to keep ranking. As to say Nasga is inaccurate, and well justified candidates will NOT be selected based on nasga ranking because they done mean sh!t...

Bottom line. I see women that awesome athletes that are getting passed over. This happens for a womans 'worlds' competition...

I would have the same feelings if it were a mens comp. When do you let them know what criteria they are selected on? Do you have to? Does it matter?

Dont get me wrong. Its your games and you run it the way you want. Your the boss, your the one getting paid to do a job and as long as that job gets done thats all that matters. The crowd doesnt know the difference. But they dont have to. We dont have numbers or jerseys, no body follows our career ... Except other thrower. so what do the Throwers think? Ask em.
w00st3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w00st3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/12 at 2:02pm
Seriously, no disrespect or anything. Its not directed at anyone in particular, it was just what was on my mind.
-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/12 at 4:10pm
I get NO MONEY to run athletics for Phoenix or Tucson! This is totally volunteer time. If ANYONE wants to question my methods and practices, please feel free to come to Phoenix and discuss it with me face to face. If you feel you can run a better games, feel free to move to Phoenix and take over for me!
-RP-

Clan Brown

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 4:51am
Originally posted by -RP- -RP- wrote:

I get NO MONEY to run athletics for Phoenix or Tucson! This is totally volunteer time. If ANYONE wants to question my methods and practices, please feel free to come to Phoenix and discuss it with me face to face. If you feel you can run a better games, feel free to move to Phoenix and take over for me!

Having been an AD for a small Games here in CA, I um... "feel your pain"! Big smile  You only have so many dollars to work with, you have to work with the Games committee which is probably ALL about pipe bands and more pipe bands. .... Or Living History re-enactors (my committee) and so on.  Simple truth...the dude who does the work, makes the calls. Period.

So no grief from me. Nope. 

But here's a thought.  You are in the enviable position of inheriting the "Womens World Championships" which have been run for several years now. OK, so it's weird, in that it's at the beginning of the season, but there you go. You HAVE it.  You are uniquely poised to take your event and actually significantly change the landscape of Womens Highland Athletics, and how the womens end of it is viewed.  I'm dead serious, here.

Here's the thing..... the Womens Worlds has no competing venue.  It's not like the mens, where there's a Scottish  sanctioning body...or two.... and then there's NASGA here in the US and Canada, but *whoops*  a bunch of the Canadian ladies  (and probably men, too)  don't have scores here, they have scores on the Canadian board.  It's a beeeootch  for the AD to have to go look all this stuff.  Now, there are men and women throwing in Europe.  Hey some of those chicks from Germany and Iceland throw pretty good. How about Australia and New Zealand?

There's a reason why guys like Aaron Neighbor and Hans Llokema  get invited to Games in the US.

Now, I have NO IDEA how to figure out what the marks are, that are put up by the lasses from Germany, France, Iceland, Australia and New Zealand.  I bet that Ryan and Francis can help, though.

So here's a thought. It's gonna cost money, there's no question about it. Try to make this the honest to God, no holds barred, WORLDS.  Not North Americans.....WORLDS. Invite the woman who throws the biggest numbers in Iceland, in Germany, maybe in France, and in  Australia and New Zealand...well, if their numbers are some-sort-of competitive.

Hey, I know what you're up against.  It comes down to dollars....airfare from Australia ain't cheap.  It also comes down to convincing your committee that it's worth it, and that may not be so easy.

Here's a thought.... don't think of this as  us bitching at you. Seriously.... I'm absolutely serious about that, because man...I'm not in your shoes and I have enough problems with my own Games Committee.  Think of it as an opportunity. I know, I know that sounds like bullshit "feelgood" talk, but I'm serious.  Maybe not this year... but 2013?  GO FOR IT, RP!

Change the face of womens highland athletics. You have the unique opportunity to do exactly that.

This is just my two cents, which is worth less, considering inflation. :lol:

Tamzin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 6:30am

There is an "All Women" Scores selection to look at the rankings.  I suggest using that one, since it has all the best scores for that person for the year (including the women’s, women A and all the rest).  

Placing 12th in the Women A category with a score of 5,438 doesn’t mean that person should be in the top 12 of the overall rankings.  The top 14 of the "All Women" category all have scores over 6,000.  Placing is not relevant, total score is.

There are 2 Canadians on the list, and if the Canadian women were interested in putting their games scores on nasga, then there is a handy dandy link on the Database page that says "how do I get my scores on here".  The games that I went to in Canada had the scores listed in Nasga, so its not impossible.

To which - it sounds like RP has already looked and considered the Canadians, and all the other factors. 

My hats off to everyone that AD games - I spend years running the womens rugby clubs that I was involved with and it is thirsty, thankless, dirty work.  Star Without you, I woudn't get to enjoy this fab sport.   Thank you.

That’s my 2 cents.

FYI - comparison for the top 25 scores from those three divisions.

Rank

Points –

All Women

Points - Women

Points –

Women’s A

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 6:44am
^^ That. 

Use the 'all women' setting and you should get exactly what you need.  The cool thing about that is that everyone knows how the database works and the numbers don't lie.   

As for the Canadian issue, they can put their scores in the North American Scottish Games Athletics database just like anyone else if they want to be considered.  Hell, if there are girls overseas they can do the same. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 6:48am
And to Richard's credit, looking at his list in the first post, it appears that he has invited the top women's throwers based on their marks....so I'm not sure why there is any concern.  
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:12am
Alan, it's all about $$$...don't expect an athlete to spend $1,500-2,000 to travel to a games where they'll win a few hundred bucks and don't expect a games committee to suddenly give you $10,000 or so more money to enrich a championship that you're already hosting. Aaron Neighbor or Hans Lolkema, etc. will come to a games here because they make $ doing it and the AD did his homework and invited them. I'm not even sure the average games attendee even cares, they'll come regardless...
-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:17am
Thanks to those who have been in my shoes and understand. As Craig said in the last post, I look at MARKS and not a 1,2,3,4,5,6... down the side of the page for both U.S. and Can throwers. As any engineer can tell you, models are data driven and not a "Ya, that looks good" off the cuff idea.   
-RP-

Clan Brown

-RP- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -RP- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:20am
Oh, and the final list for both the WWC and Pro classes should be posted by Wednesday next week.
-RP-

Clan Brown

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Steve Conway Steve Conway wrote:

Alan, it's all about $$$...don't expect an athlete to spend $1,500-2,000 to travel to a games where they'll win a few hundred bucks and don't expect a games committee to suddenly give you $10,000 or so more money to enrich a championship that you're already hosting. Aaron Neighbor or Hans Lolkema, etc. will come to a games here because they make $ doing it and the AD did his homework and invited them. I'm not even sure the average games attendee even cares, they'll come regardless...

Oh, I hear you.  I'm doing Ardenwood this year and then to hell with it... all because of having to deal with the committee and their priorities.

I may spend $2K once in my life to go to Scotland to throw, and be there for 3 weeks, but I for damn sure won't be making a habit of it, and I don't expext Hans, Aaron, Sebastian, Craig or anybody else to just gallivant around the globe spending money!  Yes... it's $.

And you are spot-on right with your last sentence. They want to hear pipe bands and see Scottish rock and roll bands and maybe some dancing (maybe) and then honey can we go shopping AND then,  see some big guys toss a caber.  WHO the big guy is, is irrelevant to anybody in the stands except the very, very, very few who  know a few names.  The only ones who care are us.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:35am
OK, just a challenge here.  What are the numbers put up by the Iceland women at the event in 2011?  who can show them to us?

There have been Games in Germany.  Women have thrown. What are their numbers?
There are Games in Australia and New Zealand.  have any women thrown?  What are their numbers?

Craig, the NORTH AMERICAN  SGA...."us".... maintains records for NORTH AMERICAN throwers. That includes Canada, and the Canadian ladies can, and should if they want to, enter in their scores.

But how about women from other countries?   Why should they be expected to enter their scores in the North American database in order to garner an application to the WORLD Championships?   I sure don't see Craig Sinclair putting in HIS scores.  Or Sebastian Wenta or Hans Llokema or Aaron Neighbor.   Yet they get invitations.  Why?  Because their numbers are available to be seen and they're damn good throwers.  Why should the women be any different?

It doesn't make sense.

-------------------

I want to re-emphasize that I'm NOT dissing RP here. Heck, I actually don't know the guy behind the NASGA handle!  He's the AD, we get to go to his Games, we can all be pleased if we get an invitation, or a reply to our application and when we get there, there are trigs in place and weights to throw.  Aside from that, we all can politely just shut up and not give  the the man a load of shit.   SO SO SO true.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:44am
In light of my last paragraph....not giving RP a load of shit, I think I've made my point and said enough. People may agree or may disagree...  but 'nuff said.

I'll say this, though.

1.)   IF...IF there are women in other countries who have competetive marks...and this is a HUGE "if" to which I have no answer.
2.)  IF IF  someone else puts together a Games with a budget that can, and does bring in top international women throwers as well as our North American heroines....and
3.)  IF....big -big IF... that Games decides to call itself the "WOMENS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS", then I know which Games I'm going to be more likely to point to and call "The Big Kahuna".
Tamzin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

What are the numbers put up by the Iceland women at the event in 2011?  who can show them to us?

see   June 2011 Iceland Games - in the NSAGA Database......  or copy and pasted here. 

Women
Athlete Place Games
Stone

9lb
Heavy
WFD
Light
WFD
Heavy
Hammer
Caber WFH
Dist Pts Dist Pts Dist Pts Dist Pts Score Pts Dist Pts
Adriane Blewitt 1 9 50'-4.25" 798 47'-11" 962 77'-3" 825 80'-2.75" 644 12:00(4)  877  15'-0" 747
Kate Grammer 2 16 34'-3" 543 39'-11.75" 802 71'-8.5" 766 72'-3.25" 580 12:00(5)  877  14'-0" 697
Emily Burchett 3 23 31'-3.75" 496 37'-4.75" 750 62'-1.25" 663 61'-11" 497 12:00(2)  877  13'-0" 647
Heather Macdonald 4 23.5 29'-11.25" 475 32'-6.75" 653 57'-8.75" 616 62'-8.25" 503 12:00(1)  877  13'-0" 647
Sandra Petursdottir 5 30 33'-5.75" 531 25'-3.5" 508 53'-10.75" 575 65'-7.25" 526 11:58(6)  875  13'-6" 672
Thora Thorsteinsdottir 6 38 28'-1.25" 446 31'-4.25" 629 46'-1" 492 52'-1" 418 88(10)  695  14'-0" 697
Martha Johannesdottir 7 39 29'-4.25" 465 26'-10.25" 539 45'-7" 487 50'-9.25" 407 12:00(2)  877  12'-0" 598
Karyn Dallimore 8 48.5 26'-4.75" 418 30'-6" 612 49'-2.75" 526 49'-4.75" 396 11:55(9)  873     
Elisabet Johannesdottir 9 53.5 25'-8.5" 408 23'-3.5" 467 46'-3.5" 494 41'-5.5" 333 11:57(7)  874     
Ylfa Jorundsdottir 10 57.5 25'-5" 403 21'-7.25" 434 39'-11.75" 427 50'-4.5" 404 12:05(8)  873     
Sarah Densmore 11 58 23'-8.25" 375 26'-8.75" 536 45'-7" 487 49'-7.5" 398 85(11)  671     
View the log for these results
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Tamzin Tamzin wrote:

Thora Thorsteinsdottir

that's such an awesome name.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/12 at 10:19am
also, LOL @ how Adriane is in a league of her own there.. huge marks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic