Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Graph Rankings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graph Rankings
    Posted: 1/13/13 at 4:45pm

I was recently improving some spreadsheets I use to "Handicap" events which I AD.  These spreadsheet run off of NASGA database and can  be used to graph the rank of throwers as well as change how they are ranked as it allows the ranking based on the average event result, (or min or standard deviation but why would you?) rather than Max (which it also does).  

I ignored the caber

The spreadsheet calculates average, max, min, standard deviation of a thrower over the season, and has some graphing features.  It graphs the ranks and each component of the rank (the rank is based on 100 points rather than 1000 as the 100 points represents percentage of world record.  The total rank is the average over the events rather than the sum as this allows graphing of all on one plot.  If the user uses the maximum, the averge over all events will produce the same rank order as NASGa's sum across all events.

Besides graphing the above rank, the excel file has another graph where the user can select what events are included in the graph.  This last graph proves helpful when (handicapping) making additional talking points for announcer as it reveals (at least to me) who is likely to win a single event.

I also have a page which graphs a throwers results over the data in the spreadsheet ... I like looking at the progression to see who is peaking.

I am not recommending any changes in ranking except what I previously mentioned about the bias in the Women's rankings when using North American men's pro records (under weights hammer results).

Since the original data was for my games, I went back in and created three sheets containing the top 25 for pros, amateur women and men (for fun and satisfy the number geek in me).

If you're a numbers geek, you may find them interesting, if not, you can ignore this

Edited by McSanta - 1/14/13 at 8:34am
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Stahmixson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stahmixson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/13 at 4:23am
wow
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/13 at 10:58pm
I have updated and improved the spreadsheet greatly

(the old website will be going down this summer some time)

I only have the pros for 2012 up their and all are included but Mr. Jon O'Neil as the apostrophe in his name is freaking out the database query.

Can view the data by Max throw or average throw -- do not use NASGA's caber ranking because to complicated -- use the old system: 12:00 = 1000 pts, deduct 1pt for each minute a way from 12:00 and use 9 points for each degree 

There are switches were you can exclude events from the rank (such as caber).  There are switches in database where you can exclude complete games (such as master games) or events (such as 16lb sheaf).  

If you are average in excel, you may have a shot at figuring it out
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/13 at 2:15am
Excellent piece of work
Can we have one for fees paid to agents Big smile
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
ewhite View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/14 at 3:06pm
You sir are an Excel guru!  Good stuff.
------------------------------
Eric "The Raging Kilt" White
Texas Celtic Athletic Association
Primo
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 10:15am
Thank you.   
I use excel often to develop assumptions for fancy financial models. I am not a huge fan of excel but it does down and dirty jobs well -- I think of it as big f'ing calculator.  

But as an AD, Excel is essential for me to run games -- Judge's sheets, check-in-sheets, scoring, .... 

I just up loaded a version 8 of the ranking spreadsheet
http://www.iowahighlandgames.org/resources/spreadsheets/

If anybody can follow what I am doing, it is interesting to see the effects of some events.  The version address one of NASGA's database's biggest ranking weakness: the sheaf.  I put in a couple extra columns and split the sheaf into light and heavy -- divide by appropriate record and include the greater of the two.

Through in some formulas that cab be used to prorate the stone results -- can be used when braemar's between 20 and 22 lb are used and the like.

Basically, the latest version.  I have not fully audited the spreadsheet but I think I got the bugs worked out.
Mark McVey

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic