Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

General Consensus on the Safety Squat Bar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General Consensus on the Safety Squat Bar?
    Posted: 1/30/13 at 8:46am
The Gym I am at has one. Was going to see what the General thoughts on using the safety squat bar are.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 9:28am
Originally posted by brandell brandell wrote:

The Gym I am at has one. Was going to see what the General thoughts on using the safety squat bar are.

<3

I wish my gym had a SSB. If they weren't $300+ I'd already have one for my house. Love the SSB/yoke bar. The weight positioning pushes you forward so you've got to have a strong back to stay up and stable. This will give you said strong back. There's a reason the westside 1000+ lb squatters regularly use the SSB. ;)
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 9:39am
SSB is fine. 

lol, everyone in gear "squats" 1000lbs now, nothing special there.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 9:48am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

lol, everyone in gear "squats" 1000lbs now, nothing special there.

qft

I've squatted with the SSB a handful of times at a friends garage gym.. I'm a fan. SSB GMs are solid too.

Craig, you seemed to like the cambered bar a good bit last year. Was that mainly due to your elbow or did you just like squatting with it? Any pros or cons?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:22am
It was solely due to my elbow, but I liked the bar a lot, until I got in the 90%+ range.  The way it behaves can be rough at heavier weights (probably fatigue too), and I tweaked my back something ferocious one session.  I will use it still, but stay in the <90% range. 

I also like the cambered bar much, much more than I like the ssb. 

brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:48am
I think I am gonna give it a try next week.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:53am

Of course you do...the SSB bar is evil.

With that said, it has its place, just like the giant cambered bar.  For throwers, I am not as sure how much both bars would have their place, except maybe for injuries like you have encountered that make traditional squats impossible. (but then again, we do not train like throwers)

But it terms of rotating exercises/bars for changes in leverage and weak point training, the specialty bars are invaluable.

I also love to do chain suspended GMs with the SSB, but they are crazy hard.

Be prepared for your squat numbers to take a nose dive.  Like Jake said, the bar changes your leverages significantly and can really throw you forward.
www.sportkilt.com
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 2:55pm
I am just training to throw better, not olympic lift or do power lifting so what my 'squat numbers' are really doesn't matter. if I can throw 85' with the 28 and 18' with the 42 WOB and 'squat' 225 I am fine with that. (Granted it won't happen but you get what I am saying :-)
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 3:49pm
And BTW thanks to Craig's advice front squats went surprisingly well yesterday so I might stay with them
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 5:03pm
Thumbs Up
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by brandell brandell wrote:

And BTW thanks to Craig's advice front squats went surprisingly well yesterday so I might stay with them

Pound for pound, i find front squats much more satisfying also safer if you are a lone lifter.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/13 at 10:03pm
Now you all have convinced me to add these back into my squat rotation.  I used this bar extensively when I was rehabbing from shoulder surgery, and I liked it a lot.  I could maintain tension a lot better holding the handles in front than with a straight bar. My squat #s were about the same for either bar.
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/13 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Hapy Hapy wrote:

Now you all have convinced me to add these back into my squat rotation.  I used this bar extensively when I was rehabbing from shoulder surgery, and I liked it a lot.  I could maintain tension a lot better holding the handles in front than with a straight bar. My squat #s were about the same for either bar.

To Quote Spock...'Interesting...'
Adam Sizemore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Sizemore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/13 at 10:54am

Thumbs Up
@Sizemore48
D. Van Skike View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D. Van Skike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/13 at 12:02pm
One thing the SSB is supposed to be really good at is increasing the leverage on your upper back to force you to hold a tighter position. It's not unlike a front squat in this way.  This should be good for a number of things including carryover to the back squat.

What I have found is that at moderate weights this is the case, but like Craig noted once you get in the 90% plus rang, you can actually get away with he man round back squatting, which actually reinforces the opposite of what the bar is good at doing (strengthening the upper back).

It is a phenomneal bar to use if you have a wrsit or shoulder injury.  It's great for GM,s and lunges, is great for box squatting, and generally good for squatting safely (you can self spot really easily) but you need to be ultra focused on the upper back otherwise you can get away with some pretty shitty lifting. JMO/YMMV/PIPPIPCHEERIO.
robertsmith105 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertsmith105 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/18 at 10:02am
I love to use. 
I have purchased one for home as well. Whenever I missed the Gym I use it.
I love Gym
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic