Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Best Homemade Hammer Handle Ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Homemade Hammer Handle Ideas
    Posted: 12/25/13 at 2:19pm
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had a great way to make a practice hammer...

I have 3 5lb standard plates held together with gorilla tape that I put on a schedule 80 PVC handle with a cap on the end and then gorrilla tape the entire end up...however, I seem to continually break the handle right at the bottom near the plates after about ~6 throws.

Just wondering if anyone has better, easy, cheap methods. My hammer needs A LOT of work.

Thanks.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/13 at 4:41pm
"Plate" hammers will ALWAYS bust easily. No way around that. They're fine for rotations but they wont handle the impact in the slightest.

You can make them out of scrap lead and old cans, pouring to the right height and drilling out the center but honestly, hammer heads are the cheapest of all the implements and well worth the investment.

Shy of that, keep working the winds.
robinson93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robinson93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/14 at 8:39pm
old celt .....hundred bucks to the door.  pvc good for life.  I have six plus years on the original handles.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/14 at 10:41pm
Upon impact, the plates causes the handle to fold usually very close to the top plate.  You could try putting a tennis ball (or the like) just above the plate so that the plates will have a harder time kinking the handle. 
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/14 at 6:00am
If you have the plates, using 2.5 lb plates creates less whip effect when the thing lands.  

A good hammer head and hwfd were the best investments I have made in this sport.  Contact Old Celt or Mike Landrich and get yourself hooked up with a 16lb hammer.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/14 at 8:23am
28# weight + 3' chain. Adjust length as desired.
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/14 at 9:00am
I had the same problem so I went to Old Celt. Bought a 16lb with no handle. I suggest you buy it that way to you are forced to follow the instructions to fit the PVC. I spent $75 on the hammer and $21 on shipping. Best money I ever spent. No more broken handles. I have actually spent more on food taking my family out to dinner (the pigs). I suggest you buy it that way to you are forced to follow the instructions to fit the PVC. Malcolm at Old Celt is great. You can call him on his cell anytime with a question.
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
Tioram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tioram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/14 at 12:59pm
I made my own hammer using PVC, a pipe flange, a 2 sided threaded connector, bolts, and chains. Thrown it a lot and it's still holding up. I can post a picture if anyone wants to see it.
"If your brains were in your feet, you would throw a lot farther." -Coach Ralph Maughan, Utah State University-
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/14 at 1:24pm
I'd like to see it.
Jim Dougherty

mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/14 at 9:21pm
Tioram   Where in WNY are you located? 

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
getyoukilt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/14 at 12:18pm
Get a shot put 16 or 20 . Metric ones can make total weight closer to legit. You can grind them down to make weight also. Weld 3/4 ID pipe maybe an inch and a half long to the shot. drill 1/4 inch hole through pipe and pvc near the top of the pipe. Bolt on handle.
Works great on 16 and womens hammer, haven't tried a 22 yet.

"     " - Harpo Marx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/14 at 6:36pm
There are hammers that can be bought for less than what some of these ideas would cost. You will buy one eventually. Why not do it now? A hammer head will last a long, long time
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/14 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by getyoukilt getyoukilt wrote:

Weld 3/4 ID pipe maybe an inch and a half long to the shot. 

That won't work. 1/2" PVC is .84" outside diameter and 3/4" PVC is 1.05" outside diameter. The 3/4" pipe would almost work, since it is slightly over 3/4" (nominally .824") but there is a weld bead that runs the length of the pipe. I've used it for 1/2" handles, but had to use a straight-shaft die grinder with a carbide burr to remove the bead and open up the inside diameter a few hundredths to get from the .824 to over .84. Plus most wall thickness is +/- 10% and still in spec.

FYI 1" rigid conduit works well for 3/4" PVC, if you're comfortable welding galvanized. Its slightly larger than 1" pipe and has no weld bead.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/14 at 8:53am
Mike: You are correct about the size. I ommitted a few details in haste. 3/4" fits fine into the pipe, maybe 1 layer of white tape to take play out. For the 1/2 inch I use a white PVC sleeve over the 3/4 grey pipe and again a wee bit of tape to take up the slack. The 1/2" handles seem to last longer, I think the flexibility saves them.
"     " - Harpo Marx
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/14 at 8:55am
And when I look at the time I spent working out the kinks.......... Mike is right. Just buy a hammer head , you will be happier in the long run.
"     " - Harpo Marx
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/14 at 9:51am
Kevin Builds Nuclear facilities so you figure he'd be a little more precise in his explanation.
Jim Dougherty

Tioram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tioram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/14 at 7:40pm
I'm out by Batavia
"If your brains were in your feet, you would throw a lot farther." -Coach Ralph Maughan, Utah State University-
Tioram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tioram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/14 at 7:54pm
My 20 pound hammer and 25 pound thrower

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/14 at 8:01pm
If you ever want to get real weights, I'm in Fredonia.

Who are you throwing with? I know a guy in Batavia who I could introduce you to, assuming you're a stand up guy, since he's BPD.
Tioram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tioram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 6:59am
I don't train with anyone right now. My brother and I just started doing this about a year ago and just dove into it. He's actually out by you. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic