Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Newbie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Newbie from western NC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KHill L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie from western NC
    Posted: 1/04/14 at 9:07pm
Hello!

I'm new to the forum here and new to Scottish Athletics.  So new in fact I haven't started yet!

I decided that my fitness goal for this year was to compete in the highland games in 2014.  I'm a 26yo fella who is fairly fit, working on getting in better shape, but have no clue where to really start when it comes to throwing.  My eventual goal is to work up to throwing the caber competitively (nothing professional, just for fun).  Until I am to the point where I can throw a caber, I want to train for and compete in the hammer and WFD.

I know that I'll need to get some gear to train with and since low budget is the best way to go for me I'll be DIYing whatever I can.

Any advice is welcome!
-K'Hill L.

a.k.a. the Kilted Cowboy
Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 7:04pm
Check out these organizations as they will likely be the ones you will be dealing with;

http://throwshagshag.org
http://www.thessaaa.org/

I don't know how else to say it but there is no "working up to" the caber if by that you mean you want to only throw a few events until then. There are 7 core events and you do them all or none. It's like a Scottish septathlon of throws and tosses and caber is only 1/7th of the day.  

Depending on where in Western NC you are there are a few guys who may be able to help you out with training. First thing, though...contact SHAG and the SSAAA through the links above. SHAG has a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/296428157077941/
I dont think SSAAA has a facebook page but they are some of the earliest games of the year starting in Florida in about 2 weeks. You might also be able to get in at the Jacksonville, FL games which I recommend since they tend to have a large novice class each year. Go to the nasgaweb database page and click on the upcoming games link.

Good Luck!
"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
KHill L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KHill L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 7:15pm
Tim thanks for the response.  I didn't realize it was an "all or none" deal.  I'll definitely get in touch with SHAG and SSAAA.  Jacksonville is a bit far for me right now but definitely something to look forward to in the future.

Thanks again!
-K'Hill L.

a.k.a. the Kilted Cowboy
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 7:30pm
Where in Western NC?  If you don't mind me asking.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
KHill L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KHill L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 7:33pm
I'm in Spindale, NC (Rutherford County), but originally from Charleston.

Also I started my search here for information because I registered for the SSAAA forums early last month and have yet to hear anything back, get activated, etc.  Just sent a followup email to their webmaster.

I'm looking into SHAG too as they list the Scotland County Games as one of theirs, and that's one of the places I'd like to compete.
-K'Hill L.

a.k.a. the Kilted Cowboy
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 7:46pm
Ok,  you're close to Asheville, NC and not too far from Greenville, SC then. 

As far as big games close to you in 2014, you would do well to check out Gallabrae in Greenville ( http://www.gallabrae.com/ ) and Grandfather Mountain Highland Games near Linville ( http://www.gmhg.org/ ).

Welcome aboard Thumbs Up

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 8:59pm
There's a games about every weekend in your area within easy driving distance. Definitely do message the SHAG facebook page, it might get you a quicker response.

"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
nkahanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkahanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 10:13pm
Well if you're interested in practicing, I have everything except a caber, and I'm in Hickory NC, for a few months...I might be able to teach you a thing or two...
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/14 at 10:20pm
^^^ This. Do it.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
nkahanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkahanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/14 at 11:02am
That goes for anyone in the area wanting to throw/practice...I'm here until the end of march(or so) and I'm willing to help out, or run clinics if need be...
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/14 at 1:28pm
Yeah, but do you do know anything about stones?Wink

Anyone in this area that is new to the games or wants to learn should take Nick up on his offer.  
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/14 at 2:54pm
How is no one jumping on this opportunity? Seriously? We are trying to bribe this kid with BBQ and homebrewed Mead to come host a clinic for us in Texas. Y'all are missing out.
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
ironinthesky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironinthesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/14 at 4:04pm
Britt, 

If it will help I will put together some of my slow roasted baby back ribs to get Nick down here to do some clinic for us,  If he can get me over 45 foot on the O stone, I will even throw in the Recipe.  

Dom

IRON IN THE SKY
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/14 at 4:56pm
I have already contacted Nick.  Big smile  Right now travel is uncertain due to fallout from collision with Hoth.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
ESnow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/14 at 1:25pm
Ki4wlg,
Some Masters throwers (read old guys) are getting together at Furman U. track & field complex tomorrow morning. We'll start around 9:00 am & go till noon. One of us is going back to the dark side, so there will be some T&F throwing as well. You are welcome to join us, & we'll be glad to help get you started.
If you have any questions, send me an Email at eric.snow77@gmail.com
nkahanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkahanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/14 at 8:33pm
If you guys ever want to get together, and throw, let me know... I'm definitely in need of some practice time.
JReed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 11:14am
So Eric, who is the backslider? You? or Baty?
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/14 at 4:31pm
If you guys ever pass thru Illinois I have an indoor area to throw and do sheaf!! Also Nick was nice to meet you few weeks ago at the central Fl games.
Intensity Is Everything
Eric Snow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/14/14 at 7:23pm
Hey, I'm not the backslider. HG's are just too much fun. You know who the sinner is.

BTW, I'm looking to set up a practice next Saturday (2/22), the weekend before the Arnold.
I have a field near Spartanburg, SC and I can get access a couple of HS fields also. I really don't care where we train. If someone else has a place they like, speak up & we'll try & make it work. I have all of the implements, but no towers.

Furman T&F complex was a great place to train. We used the hammer cage for sheaf towers. Really helped w/ aiming. We threw the HWFD, LWFD & WOB in the shot put sector & avoided tearing up the grass. If throwers want to meet there, I'll check to make sure there's not a scheduled event going on.

So if anyone in Western NC, Upstate SC, or N. GA wants to practice, speak up or send me a PM & we'll get it going.
Snowman
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 2:06pm
Are you still in Western NC? I'm on the other side of Asheville in Madison County and myself and a friend are just getting started on our training as well.
Beginning training for the games!
Eric Snow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 2:14pm
I am in Upstate SC, Spartanburg actually.
No group training going on right now, but everyone seems to be fine tuning for Greenville & the rest of the spring games. I will be throwing this weekend if you want to come down here. Saturday or Sunday afternoon works for me.
Snowman
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/14 at 10:37am
I would absolutely love to if I didn't have to work and had the transportation. Thanks for the offer, I greatly appreciate it! Maybe I can be at next year's games!
Beginning training for the games!
KHill L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KHill L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/14 at 6:11pm
Okay so I'm kicking myself right now for having fallen off the map for a while and missing on the training opportunities listed above...  Work stress ruined me for a bit but I'm back on the up and up and have dug in for the long haul in training.  I also recently moved to Rock Hill, SC.

Long story short I've started doing some basic throwing and am still looking for hands on training advice.  I've contacted SSAAA and have posted some on their forum with no luck,  everyone seems to be here on NASGA.

I know that the season is winding down but I'm going to keep a closer eye out for training opportunities this go around :)
-K'Hill L.

a.k.a. the Kilted Cowboy
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/14 at 9:17pm
You are not that far from Eric Snow (Spartanburg) and John Allen (Greer), and you could do a lot worse for good mentors. 

If you really get desperate, come one down to Blairsville some weekend, and I will put you to work out in my back field.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
PaulEvans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/14 at 9:42am
Ki4wlg, I'm moving to York/Lake Wylie in January and I'll be looking for some folks to throw with.  I've got pretty much every implement aside from a caber, and I can make a training caber once I'm settled in and have a place to put it.  Shoot me a PM and we can get together and throw once I'm there. 

Teg Leger also has a place in Clover he's at for part of the year at least.  

There are some GREAT games pretty close by in the spring and fall - Columbia, Clover, Greenville, Lake Norman, etc etc.
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/15 at 7:58am
Originally posted by nkahanic nkahanic wrote:

If you guys ever want to get together, and throw, let me know... I'm definitely in need of some practice time.

Is this offer still relevant?! Big smile
Daniel Fanning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Fanning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/15 at 7:40am
I live in the Greenville SC area. Would love to get together with some guys to learn the skills involved with this sport. I've always wanted to compete, and since moving here a couple of months ago, there appears to be several comps within driving distance from Greenville. Anyone still willing to show a new guy the ropes?

Daniel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic