Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Voodoo Floss Elbow Rehab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voodoo Floss Elbow Rehab
    Posted: 4/21/14 at 10:41am
For those of you that use voodoo floss for elbow rehab/prehab, how often do you use it? Do you use it as part of your warm-up? Do you use it after throwing?

I watched a couple of videos online that show how to use the floss for elbow tendon pain, but didn't see any guidelines on when or how often. Also, do you think it helps?
Highland Games 40+ Masters Competitor &
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Purple Belt
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 10:59am
Use it to warm up just before lifts/throws. Or any time its bitching more than you like.
S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 1:08pm

1-2 times a day when its really hurting like Sean said. I have floss in the office, home, Gym and my gear bag.  never leave home with out it....

if you would like a cheaper alternative I use a Gold Therabands. $4-5 dollars on Ebay. They are about 5” wide so I cut it in half so you get 2 from each roll.

North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 1:34pm
Bicycle tire inner tube.  All I've ever used, and even cheaper than that ^^.  
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 8:53am
I dont have a bicycle. LOL

www.nahighlander.com

Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by S McCracken S McCracken wrote:

I dont have a bicycle. LOL

No law says you can't buy a bicycle tube at Wal-Mart or other place that sells them (like I did) <g>!
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Eric Snow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 9:47am
A mountain bike tube also makes a good wrist wrap. You can get it really tight.
Snowman
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/14 at 11:23am
I realy like these compresion cuffs from Mark Bell too. They have realy helped with pain during and after push movments.
Compression Cuff

www.nahighlander.com

thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/14 at 8:08pm
This might sound ike a dumb question but I imagine you are cutting the MTB tube in half.  How wide do you make the strip?  I have a bunch of different size/type of bike tubes so to me "a tube" could mean like 20 different types.

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 8:04am
I just buy the widest one and then cut it in half.  I dont mess with changing the width at all.  The length is just enough to fit over my massive gunz......
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Eric Snow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 9:24am
I cut out the valve section & slit the tube around the inside diameter. Roll it up w/ the outside of the tube to the inside of the roll & it will flatten out over time. 
To fashion a wrist wrap, use electrical tape to make the thumb loop & lock down.
Snowman
thefrc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/14 at 10:22am
I have the actual voodoo floss bands because I'm a sheep, but I do my elbows and knees on the same day, twice a week. Always on rest/mobility day.

I have few problems with either historically though.
W. Barron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W. Barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 8:05pm
Realizing that the pain in my knee after squatting or when I turn my foot counter clockwise with my body weight on it at about 1/4 squat depth (like when I start the first spin with the weights) is probably a meniscus tear. I realize that this is what Doctors are for but anyone deal with this kind of injury before? I'm wondering if voodoo flossing might help it heal. I can still throw without any major pain so I am hesitant to lay off it. But ultimately it is keeping me from training confidently

Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by W. Barron W. Barron wrote:

Realizing that the pain in my knee after squatting or when I turn my foot counter clockwise with my body weight on it at about 1/4 squat depth (like when I start the first spin with the weights) is probably a meniscus tear. I realize that this is what Doctors are for but anyone deal with this kind of injury before? I'm wondering if voodoo flossing might help it heal. I can still throw without any major pain so I am hesitant to lay off it. But ultimately it is keeping me from training confidently

Try to duck walk. If you are completely unable you probably have a meniscus tear. There is no reason why you can't try the floss bands and do body weight squats with them and see if they work. They definitely work for me. Also stretch your quads and calves for 2-3 minute holds and see if that helps. It may be ultra tight muscles that are pulling on your knee.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/14 at 10:00am
+1 to Betz.  Can't hurt to try it.   

But as someone that threw on a torn meniscus for two seasons, it's not a big deal.  Have you tried wrapping it to throw?  That's what I had to do.   

Just play until it breaks, then get it fixed.  It's an easy one. 
BillyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/14 at 8:14am
Not trying to hijack, but seemed the best thread of any to ask this.

Is Voodoo floss allowed during competition? Say you injure something/elbow/shoulder, can you wrap it up to continue on? Just seems like a brace to me, but wasn't sure if it'd be frowned upon.

I've felt the need for it on my left elbow after a sheaf toss for sure.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/14 at 8:32am
If you are voodoo flossing properly, you should lose feeling/bloodflow within about 90 seconds.  So I don't see how, or why, you'd want to compete with that. 

Ir you're just asking if you can wrap a body part and play on, the answer is yes, of course you can. 

Neoprene, wrist wrap, knee wrap, ace bandage, etc.... knock your self out, the rest of us do. 
BillyMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/14 at 8:37am
Ah, roger, I obviously need to read up on it a bit more. Didn't know if the elasticity would be thought of as advantageous or something.

Thanks for the answer!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic