Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question-caber attempts to count as a legit comp?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Question-caber attempts to count as a legit comp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question-caber attempts to count as a legit comp?
    Posted: 5/26/14 at 7:03pm
Does an athlete have to attempt the caber to make it a "legit" competition? Was always under the impression that a legitimate competition was a minimum of 5 events one of which is the caber...just wondering?( yes saw it in the database..in the notes it states the athlete took no caber attempts..in my books that would be a athlete doing a demo..no?)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/14 at 7:20pm
One other note..all the other athletes who competed did the caber
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/14 at 7:40pm
10.In order for a competitor to win or place in an overall competition, they must attempt to compete in all of the events. At the discretion of the judge, if the competitor does not attempt to compete in all the events then they will not receive points or awards for the individual events or the overall competition.

^^^copied from the rules tab of this site.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/14 at 8:04pm
Yup...got to do the caber to be considered for the overall.
The man in the arena.
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/14 at 8:14pm
Sticky wicket is that line "At the judges discretion" 

Would depend on WHY no attempt for me as a Judge/AD. 
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 7:48am
Like a back injury, for example?
Beginning training for the games!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 7:57am

I see nothing that indicates that the caber must be included. 

"
A Scottish Heavy Events competition is defined by at least five of the events listed above. If only five events are used, then no two events will be similar (such as two stones, two weight throws for distance, or two hammers)."

So, to answer your question of:  “Does an athlete have to attempt the caber to make it a "legit" competition?” 

I would say, no.  If an athlete is injured, or there is the potential of injury (eg: a big stick and newer thrower), as an AD I would have no problem with them skipping that event, and would probably even encourage it. 

rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 8:02am
Along the lines of what Craig said, last year I threw at Loon in September.  I had torn my bicep in July, but I wanted to compete, so I threw right handed.  I could only do the stones, weights, and WOB and passed on caber and sheaf.  Wayne Hill (our judge) had no problems allowing my scores to count.  Now, throwing off handed, my numbers were not great, so I was not looking to augment my database scores, but it is just an example.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 8:11am
All of the above makes sense; I am thinking in terms of the overall "AotD" thing. 
The man in the arena.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 9:32am
At the Arnold we had added braemar as an event meaning we had 6 but our caber was broken and the one that was left was too easy. It was decided that for our scores to count we had to take a caber attempt. So we did just one each. 

Either way, it was an AD call so I guess that really sums it up....yup
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 10:10am
If someone were unable to to do the caber and the judges were unsure of the rules, the caber could be stood up for the thrower and he could basically touch it and call that his attempt.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 10:17am
Kinda like all of my attempts.
The man in the arena.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 12:03pm
I think folks are conflating two SEPARATE issues - scoring in the aggregate for a games vs. having your throws in a games count for the database.

Scoring in the aggregate for a games - You must make an attempt in every event in order to score in the aggregate. Injuries do not excuse you from this. I recall Matt S at Campbell many years ago lifting the caber a few inches off the ground and dropping it to get his caber attempt even though he was in clear agony from a back injury. It was painful to even watch but he manned up and did what was necessary to get his aggregate win.

Having your scores count for the database - I have no clue nor do I care.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 12:38pm
I can assure you that your "Scoring in the aggregate for a games" rule is not widely practiced.    
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I can assure you that your "Scoring in the aggregate for a games" rule is not widely practiced.    

One question comes to mind for aggregate scoring: how to place a person who passes on caber (injury or safety) vs a person who makes a bona-fide attempt (or 3), but ends up dropping it on all attempts.

I would imagine that the person who made the bona-fide attempts would (should) place higher than the person who passed completely.

Is that how it is done or should be?
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 1:03pm
No points for trying imo. 

If it's 3 drops, it's last place the same as the person who didn't try.  That's the way I would score it.    
Sugar Britches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar Britches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 1:35pm
MASA will always rescore if someone drops out for whatever reason during the day.  If you do not compete in all events, you do not place in any event or in the overall.  I highly recommend athletes at least have a caber set in front of them to at least make an effort.  you do not have to make three attempts.

If you don't pick it, it is the same as a no height or fouling out, maximum points for that event (i.e. last place).
"We must become the change we want to see" Gandhi
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 1:44pm
Teresa,

The general notion is that 'passes don't count against you.'

Craig,

I'm fully aware that the rule about aggregate placing is far from universal but it does appear in a number of rule sets. When in doubt, ask the AD. It's pretty standard here in Cali.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/14 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

Teresa,
  The general notion is that 'passes don't count against you.'

Hi Carlos,

In WOB/Sheaf, I know that's true; that's because the thrower decides at what height to enter the event. Caber is certainly a different story because the throwers don't enter the event in the same way.

A person who tries and drops a caber on a first attempt, then passes on the subsequent attempts vs a person who passes on all three attempts due to an injury that would preclude even trying to pick it (e.g. arm in sling)? A very unusual situation, but I've seen pictures of people competing at HG with their arms in slings before.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/14 at 9:34am
If the first example gets a degree score he would finish ahead of the person that passed on all three attempts, if he picked it up and dropped it he would get a no turn and essentially be tied with the other person.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/14 at 11:00am
Steve is entirely correct. Three passes vs. three no-tosses is a tie. A one degree beats both of them.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/14 at 11:23am
+2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic