Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Debate: LtWeight records thrown in a diff class
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Debate: LtWeight records thrown in a diff class

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/14 at 8:21pm
ADs will just have to decide whether it helps or detracts from the entertainment of the games. As someone on the sidelines, a lightweight record attempt during an Open Heavy Athletic competition sounds strange. Just wait til a lightweight games and keep the open game flowing. A lightweight class is a hard enough sell as it is for some of us.
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/14 at 9:05pm
I can't see a problem with any athletes (masters or lt.wts.) setting records while competing in other classes, if you meet the standard and are competing in a legit games, it's a record. I have a lt.wt. competing in Pleasanton in the A class this weekend at Pleasanton, I'll weigh him in the morning of the games and if he can break a record, good for him.
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/14 at 9:55pm
None taken. Just adding more factors to what is already stated. Doesn't apply to me I am far from lightweight and farther from masters
Skinny guy trying to get big
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/14 at 10:48pm
it is my understanding that in the beginning of the LW division (you know, when it was under 190 ..could help slipping that in!!!),  the record needed to be set well throwing in lightweight competition was put in place as a way of supporting that division since few games hosted that division.  It is also my understanding that this was a decision by those who were active in that division.   I am neither a LW nor was I throwing during this time period but that is how it was explained to me.

Since many more games host the LW division and the division has grown (since adding those pesky 191lb to 200lb throwers), the need to support and encourage LW throwers to participate in the division may no longer be needed.  

The real question is whose call is it to allow a record to stand?  Those in the division or those not in the division.  

When there is not a governing body, is it a majority vote? mob rule? commons sense?  NASGA posting boards opinion?   Others?  This is one of the weaknesses of no governing body.  

Edited by McSanta - 8/26/14 at 11:30pm
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic