Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Sean Betz Retirement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sean Betz Retirement
    Posted: 10/06/14 at 5:28pm
I feel like it should be stated that this past weekend was the last time Sean Betz will throw in this sport. I know that many of you where greatly impacted by this man and I just wanted to thank him here for all that he's done for me and all that he's meant to me.

We all know Sean was the 2008 World Champ and finished in the top three at a number of other World Championships. Sean won many of the very biggest games this sport has to offer against the best of the era. 

Sean was at my first games back in 2004 when I gave this crazy sport a try. Through the years he would not only throw with me and teach me, but he helped me get into games when I first turned pro. He was the one who told me to make the jump and he was the one who helped keep me in the sport when I thought I'd quit in 2008 after a back injury.

Sean truly is one of my best friends and I can't imagine not throwing or traveling with him; next year will be an adjustment for me. 

Sean, thanks for everything, man. You are a great thrower, amazing father and dear friend. Enjoy your retirement and the extra time with your family. Hope to see you around.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/14 at 5:33pm
Well stated Dan.  I won't claim to know Sean that well, but when I first met him about 2 1/2 years ago, he was a class act.  He knew who I was although I was a no one (not that I am anyone now, lol).  The Games will be missing a great one next year, that's for sure.

Congrats Sean.  Have fun.  You earned it.
www.sportkilt.com
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/14 at 6:24pm
+10000000000 

Sean was one of the first people I admired when I started after watching him throw in the 2008 highlander challenge. I still have the video and watch it often. 

He was also the first person to say "great throw" or "you're going to be a top guy in the future" to me and in my first year pro it meant a lot.

He also let me borrow more tacky than I care to admit and never thought twice about it. We all know tacky is precious and Sean never made me feel bad for asking. 

It was a pleasure sir, and I hope you stay involved in the sport cause it wont be the same without you as a thrower. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/14 at 6:58pm
I can't count how many times Sean and I have thrown together over the last 15 years, and we always had fun.  An open and honest guy, we didn't always stand on the same side of the fence for every issue, but we were always able to express our opinions and I always knew where he was coming from (and I suspect vice-versa).

The last game we threw together we ended up in a tie.  Fitting imo.   

One of the absolute greats in this silly festival game we all play, and I will truly miss sharing the experience with him.  Enjoy the extra time you'll now have, brother.  
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/14 at 10:02pm
Sean is one of the greatest men this game will ever know.
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 2:05am
Sean Betz, I have known him for quite sometime, he is generous with his time and respectful to a fault. I can also say we have been opposite of opinons on some matters. But, he respected my point as I did his. He has been very greatful and thankful to those AD's who supported him and his carrier. What I respect about Sean is you could always count on him to do what was best for the games and his fellow throwers. It says a great deal about where he comes from and how he was raised. I'm very fond of people who show loyalty to their friends and family, not nessesarily in that order. He will be missed at West Coast Comps, he never saved him self for a comp you always got his best, I admire that in a man. There was a time not so long ago when pro's were very standoffish he was never like that to any of the classes you could always talk to him. Sean if you are reading this, you are always welcome in Nor-Cal and my home to break bread, if that means anything to you.
Have fun in your retirement and spending time with your family. You have left an indelible mark on the games.
To Dan McKim, it won't be the same when your friends leave the games so the only thing I can tell you is that he won't be repaced, but the door for new experiences with new people is wide open. Take advantage of that oppertunity their are many who think a great deal of you as well.

greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 6:39am
I had the pleasure of meeting Sean when Inverness hosted the World Championships in 2007. 

Organiser David Webster was so right when he said that I was really going to enjoy seeing him throw at Bught Stadium; because, as David predicted, not only did he have a real shot at the title (which he eventually won the following year); he was indeed one of the nicest guys on the circuit.

Both Sean and Ryan Vierra went down with severe head colds while they were with us; but they pushed eventual winner Gregor Edmunds all the way, and can be proud of the fact that they left everything they had on the field and in their handkerchiefs Dead !

I will never forget the care that both Sean and Ryan took phoning around to check that the medications that they were able to buy over here were approved by all the drug testing agencies. 

Sean said something along the lines that there wasn't a Highland Games on the planet that was offering anything which was worth more to him than his "good name" and I remember Ryan nodding in complete agreement.

It remains one of my favourite Highland Games moments of all time. 

There are some things that really are priceless.

Edited by greynolds177 - 10/07/14 at 8:51am
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 8:52am
Sean Betz picks his nose.*

I've enjoyed traveling and competing and drinking** with the man for over ten years. He's always been the consummate gentleman, and a tremendous ambassador for the heavy events. I also can't think of anyone who knows more about throwing technique, the history of the Highland Games and the athletes who've gone before us. 

Our sport is the poorer for his absence.

*  There, that's the worst thing about Sean I could think of. Some roast, huh?
** Me, not him. The guy is a seriously cheap date.
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 9:47am
For the record...Sean is one of the best people that I've met in my life, period. I'll miss seeing you on the field my friend.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 11:16am
Sean is easily one of the nicest guys that ever stepped onto the field and is damn funny to boot.

He also had that one quality that really makes champions: the ability to listen to anyone and consider anything in order to get better. No arrogance in this guy at all.

Congrats, man! You really did it all.
Greg Hadley View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Hadley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/14 at 2:52pm
It is a strange thing to consider that Sean won't be out on the circuit next year. I have been lucky to have spent several summers with Sean, running the roads all around the world. He is a dear friend and a mentor - someone I have always looked up to. As I have said before, Sean was always a guy I loved to see succeed, and succeed he did. In my opinion he is one of the greatest throwers of all time. Watching him go undefeated in 2008 was remarkable. I sure will miss him. 

Thanks for everything, Sean. It has been an absolute pleasure. Enjoy the time with your family.
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/14 at 7:17am
Thank you to all of you for everything.  You've provided me with a lifetime full of memories, great competition, and most of all great friendship.  The games have been a large part of my life for 15 years.  The hardest part for me will be next spring when all the games start firing up and the excitement builds. 

I still remember driving back to Omaha from Colorado after doing my first games in 1999.  I was so fired up.  I then competed in KC the next weekend and met Mike Smith and Pete Kline, who were very welcoming to me while looking like the biggest most intimidating guys I ever saw.  I remember meeting HB3 and Mark Howe after I won the A class stone throw and they coudn't believe a guy as small as me could throw that stone 50 feet.  I thought I was big at 255 lbs.  I sat and watched the Super A class battle it out with the likes of HB3, Mike Smith, KO,  Kearney Smith, Dave Barron with his blond flowing locks, The red Barron, Roy Bogue, Witek Busse, etc.  I was hooked.  Never did I think I would be competing side by side with them one day.  I heard everyone talking about the Celtic Classic 1998 being shown on UHA on ESPN2 that Sunday evening at like 11pm.  I think it was the first time ever being shown.  Not having cable TV at the time, I went over to 24 hour fitness in Omaha, 40 miles away and watched the entire competition in the "Kids Club" and basically slept there for a few hours.  After watching this I knew that this is what I wanted to do.

Now it's different.  I have to make choices to either compete or watch my son compete.  I can't get fired up to throw anymore and I don't get those moments back with my family that I miss.  The more I throw the less fun it is and the more it seems like I never threw as far as I did.  I hate traveling and my boys cry every time I leave.  It may be different if I didn't have to fly everywhere.  I get burned out now easily.  I see the games on Facebook every other post and multiple people want my time to help them be a "champion".  When I know how hard and long it took me to go from 88' in the light hammer to 150', and 60' in the 28 to 93'.  It took me 10 years of thousands of throws.  No youtube. No facebook.  People want to be the best right now and don't want the process.  I don't want to get too negative, so I know it's time to pull away. 
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/14 at 7:47am
I remember that KC game...and you trying to use a backward approach with the Hammer I believe? Thumbs Up
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/14 at 8:21am
Time flys by so fast, I can remember Sean the AM at the East Coast, but what I really will always remember is he was always so kind to me.  Game or not, just a solid good guy in life.  Thank you for that, I know I have always appreciated you for it.  Good luck
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/14 at 10:00am
Agree Sean definitely one of the "great ones"- Sean take care of your family- nothing more important- make sure you find some kind of release for your competitive drive or you'll go crazy!!
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/14 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Sean Betz Sean Betz wrote:

Now it's different.  I have to make choices to either compete or watch my son compete.  I can't get fired up to throw anymore and I don't get those moments back with my family that I miss.  The more I throw the less fun it is and the more it seems like I never threw as far as I did.  I hate traveling and my boys cry every time I leave.  It may be different if I didn't have to fly everywhere.  I get burned out now easily.  I see the games on Facebook every other post and multiple people want my time to help them be a "champion".  When I know how hard and long it took me to go from 88' in the light hammer to 150', and 60' in the 28 to 93'.  It took me 10 years of thousands of throws.  No youtube. No facebook.  People want to be the best right now and don't want the process.  I don't want to get too negative, so I know it's time to pull away. 

^So much this. Family > everything else out there. I respect the decision to spend more time with family and even in my short tenure I can relate with it being difficult to get fired up to travel for a competition, leaving your kiddos sad because you're going to be gone for the weekend. I'll also be sad to not throw with him any more. I haven't known Sean long but I've looked up to him (among others) since I entered this sport. I remember watching Sean compete at Phoenix in 2011 which was only my 4th game in the biz.

Maybe we'll see you around, that's all we can hope for. Take care man.
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/14 at 8:35am
Sean is a great gentleman and a friend. As a Heavy Athlete, a World Champion and one of the best throwers of our time. 

This year we awarded a sportsmanship award in honor of Leroy McDonough. All of you who knew Leroy attest to the superior character we where looking for.  When the pro athletes voted, it was a spontaneous and unanimous "Sean" when asked who should be the first recipient to be awarded the Leroy McDonough Sportsmanship Award. Leroy's wife Cindy handed Sean that award. 

There could not have been a more fitting ending to having Sean here with us all these years at The New Hampshire Highland Games. 

Thank you Sean. 

Bill 
"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
Ali.G View Drop Down
World Champ - ’95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/14 at 3:11pm
 Love me some Sean. He is a GREAT MAN if he can stop throwing totally I do hope he still comes out to play at a few games. 
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/14 at 5:07am
An absolute true Gentleman and sincere person...  Im glad and honored to have thrown with you!!  Enjoy your family time bro!!!
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/14 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Ali.G Ali.G wrote:

Love me some Sean. He is a GREAT MAN if he can stop throwing totally I do hope he still comes out to play at a few games. 

He is a great man, but I suspect you'll share the field with Sean one of these days...
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
Belgianthrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belgianthrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 1:35pm
I had the pleasure to meet Sean several times and had the pleasure to throw with him one time. A fantastic thrower but most of all a great person and family man. I hope we will again sometime. All the best Sean to you and your family.. You are a great example in our great sport..

Tommy
www.highlandgamesfederatie.org
www.scottishfestival.be
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/14 at 2:55pm
I see the games on Facebook every other post and multiple people want my time to help them be a "champion".  When I know how hard and long it took me to go from 88' in the light hammer to 150', and 60' in the 28 to 93'.  It took me 10 years of thousands of throws.  No youtube. No facebook.  People want to be the best right now and don't want the process.  I don't want to get too negative, so I know it's time to pull away. 
[/QUOTE]

Never met you Sean but I like you. I am new at this game, in my third year. I can relate to repetitions equals improvement. You can watch video after video but it is through practice and minor form changes that we find what works. Three years and I am still learning and having a blast. I hope to stay in many years but I am 53 and train too hard, or too long. I can't remember being pain free (my first meet). I hope after a few years hanging out with your kids you come back, to a limited schedule. Best.   
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic