Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Weight Training

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight Training
    Posted: 11/16/14 at 9:59pm
What exercises should I be focusing on in the weight room as a new thrower?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/14 at 6:26am
The big compound movements.

For more specificity, not that it's really needed without any additional background information, check out the training logs or the posts on this forum.  There is more information that you can use on this board.  
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:06pm
Try the beginner or intermediate 5x5 Billl Starr routine assume it's all over the web. Stick with it for 12 weeks. Fight the urge to start adding extra movements. Power Clean instead of Rows every other week. Bench Incline and Military ( Push ) Press as recommended. Ramp the weights at first. Core 2-3 times per week. Can't power clean hi-pull, can't hi pull, light fast deads. Again hold off on the special movements and heavy deads for awhile. I would have a squat goal of 315-405 for 5!

Good Luck !
I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/14 at 1:26pm
BigBuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/14 at 7:43pm
thanks for the advice, I did overhead presses today 5x10, and deadlifts 5x10 with about 60% of my estimated max.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:26am
I'm going to be the grumpy old man of the group and get this in here right now:

• Stretching

• Do this. Routinely. After comps too.

• Mobility

• Prehabilitation

• Work the little stuff. Starr's 5x5 is great for the majors but seriously: put some time into high-volume bodybuilding kind of stuff (NOT heavy) after the real work is done. It's like armour for the body.

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/14 at 9:47am
"Armour"

Teehee...vive le France!
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/14 at 11:26am
Colour
Neighbour
Armour

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/14 at 5:57pm
Humour, eh?
...Josh
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/14 at 10:00am
I do the Texas method. You can Google it and download to excel, plug in your max and go. It's real easy to follow and will kick your butt.
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/14 at 11:07am
[]Stretching
Do this. Routinely. After comps too.

Agree 100%. Injuries can bother you for months or years even, so avoid injury by taking the time to warm-up and not over train (in the weight room for more than a hour, or throwing too many reps). And, a tip from several guys is squat as low as you can.
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
norkasd View Drop Down
Steroid-Free since 1985.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norkasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/14 at 7:18am
Good advice about warming up extensively first.  A very inexpensive used book from Amazon called Nolan Ryan's Pitching Bible contains many photos of stretches for the entire body.  The weightlifting in the book is basic stuff.  Old Nolan pitched until he was 46 yrs old and was still throwing 95 mph in the late innings.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/14 at 8:05am
Warm-up != Stretching
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/14 at 8:15am
Missed is back inversion ... should be a part of everyones routine if your squatting pulling throwing.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/14 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Warm-up != Stretching

Nope. Be warm WAY before stretching.

I meant post or during for stretching. Or if you've done enough movement that things are warm and moving well already. Never stretch cold.
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/14 at 5:30pm
Hat and Mittens while u stretch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic