FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

SGL News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/15 at 7:08pm
One of the primary qualifying criteria for a games to be included in an SGL Region's schedule is that it field the three classes being contested.  For the inaugural season these are:  Men's Amateur, Men's Master, and Women's.
At this time, I'm pretty sure Grandfather Mountain does not have women's classes.

In addition, only the schedule for the Southeast Region has been released so far.  It extends up into South Carolina which is roughly bisected between the SE and the Mid-Atlantic.  Some of the games mentioned fall outside the Southeast Region.

Gerry, glad to hear the reaction from someone who has studied the Highland Games as extensively as you have. 
The reasoning for leaving "Highland" out of the name . . . Americans have an affinity for three letter acronyms:  NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.  We felt that "SGL" makes for a nice acronym and results in an association with the big sports leagues here in the US, whether warranted at this time or not . . . Wink
We also did some small focus group testing on the name and logo during their development.

So, it is something of a marketing/promotional tactic directed towards one of our over-arching, long term goals:  raising the level of awareness of the Scottish Highland Games in the general sporting consciousness and greater population.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/06/15 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

Oh, and one thing about your point of regional championships Tony.  There is nothing stopping people from using the SGL series as a means to determine regional championships.  I am sure one would have to coordinate with Mike to see if it could officially be linked to the SGL.

For instance (for those that don't know), our Men's Am New England Champs are at Loon.  There is nothing preventing Wayne from using the NorthEast SGL season results to dictate who gets invited to Loon.  But the results from Loon would be just that.  They would not be used to dictate an overall SGL champion.

well Wayne could do that but using the SGL rankings to invite athletes could be used but why would he when Loon couldnt be considered a SGL games as they dont contest the 3 classes(no women)   that would be like using fantasy football rankings to see who plays in the superbowl...no?
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/07/15 at 7:52am
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Oh, and one thing about your point of regional championships Tony.  There is nothing stopping people from using the SGL series as a means to determine regional championships.  I am sure one would have to coordinate with Mike to see if it could officially be linked to the SGL.

For instance (for those that don't know), our Men's Am New England Champs are at Loon.  There is nothing preventing Wayne from using the NorthEast SGL season results to dictate who gets invited to Loon.  But the results from Loon would be just that.  They would not be used to dictate an overall SGL champion.

well Wayne could do that but using the SGL rankings to invite athletes could be used but why would he when Loon couldnt be considered a SGL games as they dont contest the 3 classes(no women)   that would be like using fantasy football rankings to see who plays in the superbowl...no?

You are right Dan.  In fact, that is why Loon is not on the SGL NorthEast schedule.  Not only are there no women's classes, but both Ams and masters are invite only, and the SGL is targeting games that have no formal restrictions on entering the games (maybe other than caps due to field restrictions).

I was more just saying that the results from any SGL series can be used by anyone to unofficially determine things, like invites to other games.  For it to be official, however, it would have to go through the home office. 
www.sportkilt.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/07/15 at 3:27pm

Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

You are right Dan.  In fact, that is why Loon is not on the SGL NorthEast schedule.  Not only are there no women's classes, but both Ams and masters are invite only, and the SGL is targeting games that have no formal restrictions on entering the games (maybe other than caps due to field restrictions).

I was more just saying that the results from any SGL series can be used by anyone to unofficially determine things, like invites to other games.  For it to be official, however, it would have to go through the home office. 
     Gotcha Rob..good luck at North/south..throw high and far brother
JUST BRING IT /

greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/15 at 6:23am
Thanks for the background to the use of "SGL" and the unexpected compliment.

I am with you folks 100% and look forward to the day when somebody discovers that the use of this system would sort out the mess that is the World Championships once and for all.

If you were to imagine a circuit of the World's elite Games as an SGL Pro Region - and just for information I would exclude the Games that I am involved with from that on the grounds of finance - we could finally make some much needed progress. 

I would be grateful - purely for the sake of discussion - to see suggestions regarding how many Games would be in the Pro Region. Having seen how hard our Heavies train - I would like to see them rewarded for their efforts in a more structured way. Equally I would like to see the Games that support our Pros all getting a share of the media interest of an extended world championships. 

Anything is better that a here today gone tomorrow one off visit to France or a park in Dunfermline. 

Both of which having the legacy potential of a single firework.

Gerry
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/15 at 8:20am
You mean exactly like we do our National Championship?  Yea, that's been a good idea since 2002.  
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/15 at 9:19am
13 years later ... it is still a good idea ... collectively we just have to find a way to make it happen.
Anyway that is for another day. I look forward to following the SGL with interest 
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/15 at 9:32am
Originally posted by greynolds177 greynolds177 wrote:

13 years later ... it is still a good idea ... collectively we just have to find a way to make it happen.
Anyway that is for another day. I look forward to following the SGL with interest 

Indeed, but I can say with a fair amount of confidence that a World Ranking System is never going to happen.  Hell, there have been times when the Americans attending those games weren't even chosen from the American rankings.  I wish it would, as it would remove the political aspect of invites, but....

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/15 at 3:13pm
We cannot change the past (apart from putting stuff on websites LOL and claiming credit for other people's work)... but we CAN change the future. 
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/15 at 12:09pm
stay on target.  stay on target . . .
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/15 at 9:09pm
Here's a short video addressing one of the key aspects of the SGL vision.  Hopefully, it will answer a few more questions, too.

Not sure why the YouTube embed isn't working.  Here's the link to the SGL site: Key Aspect Video Blog

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/15 at 9:12pm
Plugin not supported.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/12/15 at 6:23am
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/12/15 at 6:37pm
Very diplomatic, Mike. I love it. You have my support!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 10:09am
The new SGL site is up!!

We will continue to add information and content including the outstanding region schedules, and rankings as the season gets under way.

Please share the site around the Highland Games community. 

Thanks for your support!

Scottish Games League

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 5:25pm
Looks real solid Mike!..good luck in your endeavors( supporter here!).. Are you going to selling SGL T shirts?( like the one in the video?)
JUST BRING IT /

phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 9:15pm
Thanks, Dan.  The real credit for the site goes to our CTO Eric White and developer Andy Armagost.

And, yes, we will be selling SGL Tshirts and a few other items.  In fact, we will be doing a pre-order event for the shirts in the near future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic