Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Newbie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

New thrower, couple of questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New thrower, couple of questions
    Posted: 1/26/15 at 8:59pm
Hi everyone. I've been looking to start into training for HG for 6 months or so, have a handle on homemade implements, got some of Matt Vincent's books, and am pretty confident I have the tools to begin. Just a couple of questions:

How are boot blades generally "installed" on the boots? I have the ability to make blades easily enough, but I can see a couple of different possibilities as far as mounting them.

I read here just a few minutes ago that there is a games event in Chicago coming up, but I can't seem to figure out how to locate details on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Anyone know of any groups or individuals in the Northwest Indiana area I could get with to train? I'm right on the south shore of Lake Michigan, just about 25 miles east of the IN/IL border. Thanks in advance!
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/15 at 9:19pm
I think most people use carriage bolts with large flat washers to bolt there blades on. Put the bolt and washer threw from the inside nut the bottom and brad the bolt so the nut stays on.

If youare looking for games in this area go to:
http://www.ancientathletics.com/  for games in Illinois
http://www.glsaa.com/   for games in Ohio
and get a hold of John O'conner for games in Indiana. stoutbarbelljohn@gmail.com

Not sure about the Chicago games. I think they are Pro only.
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/15 at 9:46pm
Jeremy Gillingham lives in New Haven. Don't know where that is as I don't live in IN. Also it's my understanding that there is an Am/Master comp at Chicago the Friday of that weekend. The guy to contact about that is Jeff Armstrong. He is the guy who posted the Chicago thread. No idea if it's booked or anything but if you need answers, that's who I'd go to. 

Good luck!

*Also, FWIW, Dan McKim said that lawn mower blades work splendidly for hammer boots. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/15 at 12:37am
True, Jeff. Mine are lawnmower blades and I've had them for 10 years this season! Go with whatever is comfortable!
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/15 at 4:21am
Dan knows a few things about throwing hammer, so there is as close to a definitive answer as you can get.  Big smile

The biggest thing about attaching blades is to not put the bolts where the pressure points of your feet will be.  Larry Brock advised putting the front bolt just behind the pad of your second toe and the back bolt under your arch.  That's how I drill them and mount them, and it seems to work ok.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
huffdogg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/15 at 5:07am
Thanks for all the swift replies! Yeah I was just asking about the Chicago games because I wanted to just go as a spectator. I had no illusions about competing lol.
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/15 at 3:03pm
And, you don't really need them when you first start throwing. It takes a little time to learn that rotation that wants to pull your feet off the ground. Just saying, don't let blades stop you from competing or practicing.

Only problem with using lawnmower blades is when it's time to cut the yard and you have to reattach them to the mower.
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/15 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

True, Jeff. Mine are lawnmower blades and I've had them for 10 years this season! Go with whatever is comfortable!

Now I know why you're a little shorter. :)
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic