Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

McHenry MD Scottish Festival (& Games)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McHenry MD Scottish Festival (& Games)
    Posted: 2/05/15 at 7:34pm
I just found their site:

It will not be held in 2015.

http://www.highlandfest.info/

FYI, I'm looking for games that will take novices, which is why I'm doing the search. Not trying to be a buzz-kill.   
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/05/15 at 9:54pm
Why do games that have a novice class? Just do games! The only way to get better is compete vs the best. Don't cherrypick games just to look good. When I started out went to any and all games that took me got my ass handed to me more often than not but just worked on beating my own marks from last comp. Got to a point where I was able to start medaling at games vs some good amtrs. 
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/15 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Why do games that have a novice class? Just do games! The only way to get better is compete vs the best. Don't cherrypick games just to look good. When I started out went to any and all games that took me got my ass handed to me more often than not but just worked on beating my own marks from last comp. Got to a point where I was able to start medaling at games vs some good amtrs. 

No matter what I do I'm not going to "look good".

I'm doing this for myself, for both fun and my health maintenance. The bottom line is I'll only be competing against myself.

I was under the impression that beginners HAD to start off in the novice class.

I have no problem starting off as an "amateur" or "master" since I'm over 50 if that is allowed.

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/15 at 9:47pm
step in get your feet wet!..most games on the east coast dont have novice classes..heck when I first started out was just one amtr class in New England-def made you pick your game up, and practice
JUST BRING IT /

Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 9:11am
Originally posted by MrPeanut MrPeanut wrote:

No matter what I do I'm not going to "look good".

I'm doing this for myself, for both fun and my health maintenance. The bottom line is I'll only be competing against myself.

I was under the impression that beginners HAD to start off in the novice class.

I have no problem starting off as an "amateur" or "master" since I'm over 50 if that is allowed.

Master's men's class starts at age 40, so you can enter that class if available. Master's men throw 42# for heavy weight for distance (HWD) and weight over bar (WOB) and usually 16# sheaf.

Open or "amateur" have A, B, and C classes: you would start at C. If you kick everyone's butt, you'll probably move up to B pretty soon after. Open men throw 56# for HWD/WOB and 20# sheaf.

The following link gives guidance on when to move up a class:

Move Up A Class
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 12:58pm
On the East Coast, you're not going to find many "C" classes. For most games, just sign up and don't worry about it. If there's a masters class, choose that (better to start with the 42lb weight instead of the 56). If there isn't, but there's an option of amateur men A or B, choose B. If there's just one amateur men's class, choose that. If you're not sure, ask whoever is running the athletics. Don't bother with the festival organizers - in most cases they won't know.

You're looking at games like McHenry and Bonnie Brae - those are MASA games (well, last year anyway). Go to the MASA website, sign up for the message board, and keep an eye out for the 2015 schedule, which will probably be coming out in the next few weeks. Registration for the Southern Maryland Celtic Festival will open at the end of this month; the games are the last Saturday in April. Other MASA games open registration four weeks before the games, on Thursdays at noon.

http://www.heavyevents.com/
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Sammy68123 Sammy68123 wrote:

The following link gives guidance on when to move up a class:

Move Up A Class

Dang, according to that, I don't yet qualify to throw as a B.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 2:44pm
Thanks guys.

I'll start off doing the Masters.

Sent off the email to do the games in Frederick, MD in May.

Thanks.

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 2:49pm
Tom-thats only a guide 

As adam said majority of games on the east coast only have one amtr class(the exceptions I remember are a few MASA games and Maine)
JUST BRING IT /

TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Tom-thats only a guide 

As adam said majority of games on the east coast only have one amtr class(the exceptions I remember are a few MASA games and Maine)

I know.  Tongue  We don't generally have lightweight or C-class here in the southeast.  If you are male and under 45 you throw the 56.  I was just joking at my own LOFT.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 3:59pm
As u should!( throw the 56 that is. LOL)
JUST BRING IT /

agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by MrPeanut MrPeanut wrote:

Thanks guys.

Thanks.

The Frederick games are also a MASA event. Registration for the masters class should open on Thursday, April 9 at noon, on the MASA website.
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/15 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by agm_ agm_ wrote:

[QUOTE=MrPeanut] Thanks guys.

Thanks.

The Frederick games are also a MASA event. Registration for the masters class should open on Thursday, April 9 at noon, on the MASA website. [/QUOTE

Thanks.

Signed up for the MASA forum and did the pre-registration stuff online. Just waiting for the account to become active.

See you in May!

I'll do the PA RennFaire also.

Look forward to seeing the 2015 schedule.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic