Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: John Halloran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: John Halloran
    Posted: 2/11/15 at 6:21pm
Finally able to get settled down here in Houston and hopefully this will become more consistent.  Ed Cosner was kind enough to let me lift at his gym.  Got my first session in today.  But first I will start off with some 2015 goals.
LWFD:  55'
HWFD:  30'
OStone:  40'
Braemar:  30'
HH:  70'
LH:  90'
WOB:  13'
Sheaf:  Actually get a competition height, 24+
Capt Ramius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/15 at 6:24pm
2/11/15  Leg Day
Squat:
135x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
355x3
385x3
Put 405 on but I haven't lifted in about two months and didn't want to push too hard.

Snach grip RDL's, Abs.

Talked with Ed the whole time we were lifting.  I can tell it'll be awesome lifting there.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/15 at 7:30pm
Glad you're on here, John!  I'm sure those goals will be met and then some.  Just stick close to Ed.  So glad that worked out!

North Texas Kick Off Games.  Do it.  Now.
www.sportkilt.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/15 at 8:45pm
Thanks Rob Thumbs Up I'm glad it worked out too. It was a blast lifting with him yesterday. This will be good for me.  I wanted to set some goals I thought I could hit consistently. Just need to get out and practice.  A lot.

That said, got out and threw some Braemar and LWFD today.  Used my HH weight as a braemar since I don't have a stone or a handle for the weight.  Was out low-mid twenties, 26' the farthest, without my lower body engaged. Legs are still smoked from yesterday.  Only did some one-turns for the light weight and was out low 40's, 45' the farthest.  Got about 15 full throws of both in before calling it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/15 at 8:52pm
And I just signed up for the North Texas Kick Off Games.  Hope I'm still in town next weekend!
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/15 at 10:34pm
I'll meet you there John.   Thumbs Up

Are you sure you wouldn't rather register for the As?  Bs is... um.. full or something.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/15 at 11:12pm
It'll be great to meet you and some of the other Texas throwers Thumbs Up

I've never played with the A's before.  Have competed in open competitions with Rob and TRob before, but never a strict A comp.  I suppose if the B's are full, I'll come up a class and play with the big dogs.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/13/15 at 4:33am
Bs aren't full man.  I was just saying that you are likely to stomp my elderly petite personage in the Bs.  That's were the fun is though!  It will be good to meet you and to spend the day doing what we enjoy.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/15 at 5:56pm
Friday the 13th:  not a good day lifting wise.  Went to floor press and do some triceps work.  Had 225 on the bar and the shoulder rolled an awkward way.  I stopped and have been doing exercises to strengthen both of them since.  Probably going to start incline benching in a couple weeks.

Sunday 15th:  Instead of lifting, I got called to run equipment to a rig a couple hours south of San Antonio.  Fun.

Monday 16th:  Squats
Warm up: 135x5 225x5
Working Sets:  275 x 3 for 10 sets; 30 seconds between sets
Good mornings, & abs for accessories

Also hit some deadlifts.  Pulled 375 x 3 x 3.  That felt awful weak.  Need to pull more and strengthen my back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/15 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Bs aren't full man.  I was just saying that you are likely to stomp my elderly petite personage in the Bs.  That's were the fun is though!  It will be good to meet you and to spend the day doing what we enjoy.

Tom

Unfortunately, I won't be making the games this weekend.  I'm getting sent back to Maine so I can pack up all my shit at home and move down here.  I knew that once I officially signed up for these games they'd do this or ship me to a rig Angry  Oh well.  I'll definitely be at the San Antonio games in March.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/15 at 8:27pm
Well.... crap.  I was hoping to meet you.  Travel safely.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/15 at 8:59pm
Likewise.  I'm sure we'll meet at some point this season.  I want to make a bunch of games this season.  And thank you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/15 at 6:54am
Well this has been quite the whirlwind since I last posted.  Instead of the Dallas Kickoff Games, I went skiing in sub-zero temps.  Had a blast though.  Conquered some lines I hadn't skied before.  Finally settled into my new position but working 6am-6pm gives little time to train.  So instead of lifting, I'll be working on technique.  I'm plenty strong for a B anyway, just need time with the implements and get the throws in to get better.  I can get a solid 45-60 mins of quality throwing after work.

Mar 27:  LWFD practice
Worked some one and two spin.  It was good to just get some time with the weight.  I eat up way too much of the box with my two spin.  Need to work on that.  I forget the distances but they were all mid 40'

Mar 31: HH
I really want to get the three winds down for this; that's the goal and what I'll be practicing.  All throws were 50-60'.  My best throw was passed 60 and without blades.  I think I'll throw without them for a while to get the motion down and be more controlled.

Apr 1:  LWFD
Had ambitions of throwing HW and LW yesterday.  LW went so well though that I didn't pick up the HW.  Should have started there. 
Standing throws x5
Line drills x5
One spin x10-15  Farthest one spin was out 48+ and all were consistently above 42'.  Felt really good.  

My one spin is a South African discus variation.  Left foot on the back right corner of the box, drive the right foot to the center, plant into the power position, drive the weight out.  I never learned a proper highland games one spin.  That might be the reason I'm having trouble with the two spins.  Regardless, I'm not going to get the two spins down before the San Antonio games so I'll continue with what has gotten me here so far.

It is surprisingly difficult to find a good throwing stone in such a big city.  Need to get me one of them or even just a shot put to work that technique.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/15 at 7:50pm
San Antonio Highland Games re-cap:

Holy shit, what a day.  The rain stayed away and it was nice and cool.  Threw three personal bests and hit two marks I set as goals for the season.

Braemar:  31' 5" -- 4 foot PR.  Pretty damn happy.
Open Stone:  34' 5" -- Terrible, one of the disappointments of the day.  Need to un-FFFFF my technique.
HWFD:  26' 7" -- Tied my mark from last season.  Not bad, certainly room for improvement.
LWFD:  55' 6" -- 6 foot PR.  All throws were over 50'.  Stoked.
Light Hammer:  82' 7" -- 4 foot PR.  I was in my head too much at first.  Tried three winds but it wasn't working.  Went to two and it was much better.
Caber:  55 degrees -- Twas an 18' 115# stick, should have done better
WOB:  11' -- Best pull on 12' was my last try.  Maybe I'll come in at 11 from now on.  Hit it consistently.
Sheaf:  No height -- I had the height, just not the technique.  I need to work on this the most.  For whatever reason, they like throwing it down here so I need to get better.

All in all, I'm really happy about the results.  I know what I need to work on for my next games in May.  I threw with the A's for the first time and think I did pretty well.  Guess I'll be up with them from now on.  It was awesome to meet the Texas throwers and share the field with Kevin Becker.  That guy is a beast.  He set a field record in WOB at 17'2".  Now time to be a fat kid and enjoy some In 'N Out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic