Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

The Elephant in the Classroom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Elephant in the Classroom
    Posted: 2/27/15 at 6:09pm
February is traditionally my "giving something back"month and last week saw me heading south to the University of the West of Scotland to do a lecture/workshop on event cancellation; followed by a drive through a snow storm this week to deliver one on Highland Games at Queen Margaret University.

For those of you who are AD's; cancelling a major event is thankfully rare; but if it happens to you; trust me, you better have a section in your event plan that will enable you to cope with it in an organised way. When the Police walked in to close down our 2009 Hogmanay Show due to a snow blizzard that had decided to change course; we got the news 7 hours before we were due to open our gates and welcome in 12,000 spectators. In many ways we were lucky to have so much time for that one; but our 2014 Hogmanay celebrations saw us dealing with the cancellation of our lunchtime show following a fatal road traffic accident outside Inverness Town House that morning. I have no doubt you can all think of scenarios that could cause a Games to be cancelled; I am not sure if you have thought about how you would go about it. The first rule of Crisis Management is always Containment - and by that I mean just like First Aid - your team's first job is to find a way to stop the problems which you now have to deal with from getting worse.  

With regard to my Highland Games talk - I gave the students my quick guide to the history of this global excuse to gather together and for a few hours simply forget all our woes and have some fun while we are still healthy enough to do so. While I was there I was introduced to Marjorie Brewster who published the research in 2009 which identified that 20% of Scotland's Highland Games had closed forever between 2000 and 2007. During the hour and a half that we spent together discussing what needs to be done to get from where we are today in Scotland to where we need to be; it was difficult to ignore all the evidence suggesting that there is a real possibility that more than a few Games may have already reached the point of no return over here.

Edited by Gerry Reynolds - 2/28/15 at 10:44am
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/15 at 9:09pm
Thanks for the heads-up...every games organizer should pay attention to this. What's your back-up plan? What's your disaster plan? Can you recover and move on to next year? Most games are stretched to the limit and all it takes is one "natural disaster" and you're history!
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/15 at 11:41pm
Blame it on the English.
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
Gerry Reynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/15 at 4:40am
Originally posted by MrPeanut MrPeanut wrote:

Blame it on the English.

Let's leave the cancellation discussion to the grown-ups
Hoss44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hoss44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/15 at 9:31am
There are many free resources on the FEMA website if anyone (AD's) is interested in becoming better prepared for emergencies with large crowds...

Here is an online course that will help with emergency planning for special events: http://training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=is-15.b

If you are not interested in the course, here is the online manual: http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/downloads/is15aspecialeventsplanning-jamanual.pdf
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.
- 13th Warrior
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/15 at 9:39am
The New Hampshire Highland Games is very fortunate to have an operations team that's led by a professional city firefighter (Chris Andrews). He has the line of command and communications figured out, operational plans, backup plans, and emergency plans. He has plans for situations he dares not describe in detail.

These aren't all just carried around in his head, either: he was very demanding in getting input from each venue and activity committee for planning purposes. He was a pain in the butt about it, but I'm sure it was much more of a pain in the butt for him: the Games is full of people who think about how an event ought to go, but who don't want to think about what could go wrong. He wrote up the plan in three parts:
  • The first is the plan itself, which is 35 pages, covering eventualities from a lost child, emergency evacuation, to mass casualties. Would you believe there's a helicopter landing plan (with a backup)? The whole plan is known in detail by every event chair and the central spine of the operations committee (as well as the local cops and rescue crews).
  • The second is an organization chart, which establishes the chain of command on Games day (this is different from the Games organization itself: it's not about who works for who, but about how to communicate, who can make a critical decision, and how resources can be mustered to handle a situation).
  • The third is a simple handbook that is printed on both sides of a single sheet of paper, which folds up into a nice little pamphlet, detailing what a venue organizer needs to do and know in different situations (for the most part, who to call). Every member of an event team has a copy and is familiar with this.
The really nice part about it is that, on Games day, he's all smiles. He'll pal around with the athletes, tell someone how to find a bathroom, make sure people have a good time, and play pipes with the Chili Pipers. There's no hint of the machinery that's behind him, ready to react at a moment's notice. There's no need to stress, because he's ready.

"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
Gerry Reynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/15 at 10:41am
Great posts guys. The workshop I ran with the students was designed to put them under pressure because they arrived with their event plans ready to do a straight forward briefing 7 hours before the event. Then we hit them with the unexpected announcement of the cancellation and while they were getting their heads around that, we hit them with a new problem every 5 minutes. There are some great resources on line now for crisis management;but the one thing they cannot recreate is the pressure generated by complete and utter surprise and how you react to it. So that is where my new workshop took them. The students did not know they were going to a Cancellation Workshop and it was really interesting during their debrief to hear what they had to say about the feelings of shock, disappointment, frustration, anger, excitement, stress and confusion that they were experiencing for the first time. 

The training that the Emergency Services get is world class; but, as long as folks are getting killed or injured at events, we have to keep trying to raise the bar, and find ways to prevent it. 

Here in Inverness we are very lucky to have to go through a detailed Multi-Agency Planning Process for all our major events; and having a Senior Police Officer, Security Manager and Scottish Ambulance Service Manager present at all the major events that I manage enables me to enjoy them. 

MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/15 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Hoss44 Hoss44 wrote:

There are many free resources on the FEMA website if anyone (AD's) is interested in becoming better prepared for emergencies with large crowds...

Here is an online course that will help with emergency planning for special events: http://training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=is-15.b

If you are not interested in the course, here is the online manual: http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/downloads/is15aspecialeventsplanning-jamanual.pdf

I was lucky enough to do a 120 day detail with FEMA back in 2009.

Their courses are excellent.

I would recommend their Citizen Corps training as a way to prepare for local emergencies and disaster preparedness.
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/15 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Steve Conway Steve Conway wrote:

Most games are stretched to the limit and all it takes is one "natural disaster" and you're history!

This is what bothers me as I look inward at RIScot.  If we get rained out bad enough, there's a real chance of not coming back.  We (and other small games) need to figure out how to get a big enough sponsorship pot going to allow us to survive a "bad year".
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/15 at 6:42am
You nailed it on the head. 

To help protect against weather event, you need to get some sort of advance ticket sales so that a greater % of over head is funded before hand, which mitigates some of the losses.  A method used by the QC games that worked well when we it was not a free event was to use the sale of t-shirt as an advance ticket sales:

a. Have the next years t-shirt design prepared a year head of time: 
b. Set price high, I think we were selling them for $20 (this was many years back, probably can be higher maybe set to t-shirt cost + admission so they get the t-shirt at wholesale rather than retail cost)   The benefit to the buyer of the t-shirt is wearing it gets them into the festival free the following year. 
c. Start selling the shirt at the current year festival 
d. Hopefully have some friendly local business (sponsors) who will also sell them and collect money for you. -- This is a win-win as the sponsoring business as it will drive some games traffic to their business

Also think about advance ticket sales through website --- 

Obviously, the goal here is collect the gate before the date so that the gate income is less weather sensitive. 

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic