Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

16 lb shot put

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 lb shot put
    Posted: 5/05/15 at 6:33pm
Was out with the 16 lb shot put working on my glide.

Ranged from 18-22 ft.

Not bad for a 56 yr old first timer who should be dead.

LOL.
Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 5:36am
MR PBJ time,

try train with the 14 shot. I think you'll like the lighter weight and the benefits. It's been a tool that a lot SP ers have used for decades. In time you won't notice the difference ... the training distance and competition distance will be within a 1-2' . Give the hand and fingers a break too.

DS
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 6:18am
THE DON has spoken peanut/you better listenBig smile
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 8:12am
Training with a lighter shot can beneficial if you are having timing or speed issues. If you need to work on throwing strength use a heavier shot. Not only will it build strength but show you were your technique is off.
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/15 at 10:09am
I need to work on both speed and strength. I figured the 16 lb would be good for both braemer practice and the open stone.

This is the first time ever that I am actively working on drills for the games, in addition to working out for general fitness. Doing the specialized drills is definitely new to me.

My first games in this Friday in Maryland.

Maybe a 14 lb would be a good addition.

Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/15 at 10:29am
A lot of top gliders throw heavy shots leading up to a competition. As I said it helps a lot with special strength. One thing to be careful of when doing this is to still throw the competition weight so that you are used to the timing. It is very important as a glider to have the proper timing and rhythm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic