Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

new vertical standard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dflanagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new vertical standard
    Posted: 9/19/05 at 11:10pm
If a vertical standard was designed that could reliably measure the height of any toss, would you use it to shorten a competition by giving athletes only three attempts in the WOB/sheaf?
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/05 at 4:25am
Do you mean, just throw it as high as you can, and that will be your score?

It would be interesting, but in reality would really change the event,
particularly the sheaf, where acuracy counts almost as much as the actual
height.
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/05 at 9:06am
Aside from Hapy's point, I don't believe it's possible to throw your best in WOB without having something to throw at/over.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
dflanagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dflanagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/05 at 12:03am
Yes, Hapy, just three tosses total, the best one is your score.  Thanks for the input.
BigdogEMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigdogEMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/05 at 7:23am

There would be nothing to aim for? Not to mention the fact that the thows that just make the height but not go over would then count. You could just stand under the standard and throw straight up!

Sounds like a great idea, But I think there would be too many bugs to work out.

While were at it I think you need to make a standard that can tell if you spin or stand!

Terry Lawson

“The hard stuff we do right away, the impossible stuff takes a little longer!”
Marbry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marbry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/05 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by BigdogEMT BigdogEMT wrote:

There would be nothing to aim for? Not to mention the fact that the thows that just make the height but not go over would then count. You could just stand under the standard and throw straight up!

I would think you would measure the height where it crossed the plane of the standards.  I believe you could work something out but it might be complicated.  KISS

'They said they'd never seen that kind of power and endurance. My picture is still up above the buffet.'
BigdogEMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigdogEMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/05 at 3:00am

You can KISS  (Keep It Simple Stupid) All you want. All I’m saying is if you give some people something new they will find a way to defeat it. With the bar you either go over or not! No two ways around it!

Terry Lawson
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/05 at 12:19pm
I like the idea in the context that I have had a few throws that just soared(or atleast I thought) but for the games sake I say no...  I like the fact that no matter how high your last one was if the other guy cleared it you have to go up and do it again even higher..  Ithink it is a strategy comp as well as strength.
dflanagan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dflanagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/05 at 9:01am
What if various heights could be indicated?  Specifically, you could look up and see the highest toss of the day, your best toss of the day, and the height you hope to clear with your current toss.
brad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:35pm
Ok, I've not bothered to read all the previous posts but here's my two cents on the idea at hand...

One, part of the challenge of WOB is repeatedly throwing the weight foot after foot and working your way up in weight. This adds a strength/endurance factor that just three throws wouldn't have. Also, as the athletes work their way up and the herd gets thinned out to two or three guys, it builds some suspense that the crowd likes.

Two, a variation would be to do three misses on all heights and you're out rather than the standard 'miss three times at a single height and you're out'. It should move the competition along a little faster and keep the strength/endurance element going as well.
Celtic-Bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celtic-Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/05 at 2:06am

now this is coming outa left fiel so stay way me.A friend of mine is into the x games.....he skateboars and what they do is some like wob only on a skateboard they have makers at every 2 feet I think to see how high you can jump on your board...so if you were to do something like that then say it would work..but at the same time...I'm one of those people that can only go so high with the sheaf and wob so I need something to shot for when I tossing.......I think for me a "B" I need something to focas on in order to do my very best plus the crowd always go so quiet right before your tossing goes over that if I lost that then I'm not sure I would want to stay in the sport.

Tim

MacGregor Despite Them!
wordsmyth1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wordsmyth1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/05 at 4:23am
I have to agree with Tim...It seems that if you have no defined target it's hard to focus on where you're shooting to get.  When we practice, we have a makeshift upright set up.  When we use the crossbar it seems we do better not to mention the fact that you have to kind of guess at exactly how far up you went..."that looked like a 10 foot throw to me"...but do you actually know?
MacGregor...despite them
BillB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/05 at 5:30am

I think the idea of just throwing vertically stinks.It takes all the skill out of the event.It becomes just a strength event.I was under the impression that these events evolved from the farms and some from the military.I liken the WOB to throwing hay bales onto a wagon.Who cares if you throw it 20' in the air,if it doesn't land on the wagon,you've got to throw the damn thing again.Just my 2 cents.

Vae Victus
Terry Lawson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lawson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/05 at 9:49am

Bill,

What do you care for?!?! You can still only get a smidge over 14 foot, anyway you look at it!!! You really need to step it up you know!!!

Terry Lawson

BigdogEMT

Scott B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/05 at 9:23am

I have found that the height events tend to be a crowd favorite. That said, I think the type of standard you are considering would make the event too hard for the crowd to follow. With the crossbar, everyone can tell if the athlete cleared it or not. I don't think that the crowd should dictate our sport but their entry fee helps make my lunch possible most of the time.

Scott

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic