FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

"using" hammer blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "using" hammer blades
    Posted: 5/29/15 at 1:06pm
So, I've read Dan McKim and Matt Vincent telling the reader to use blades from the start. I've had a few pros and ams say the same thing to me...but.

I am getting no consistent information on what it means to "use" them. It seems there are at least two schools of thought

1) they are an anchor to allow you to lean back on last wind/delivery
2) you should be actively pulling on the ground, giving you more opportunity to apply force

I'm concerned that they are just to make me walk funny and have an excuse not to shag hammers
Help
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/30/15 at 5:50am
I've never heard the "pulling on the ground" thing but I suppose that is result of using them properly. 

Some people really like to dig in down into the ground so their feet are at more of an angle and some like to slide theirs in just under the surface but with enough bite to anchor you in. Either way you use them to make sure your feet don't leave the ground while you wind and counter. 

Either way, I agree with Dan and Matt to start using right away because if you don't you get comfortable with not using them and that puts you out of position. Just give em a go and see how it feels!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/15 at 7:15pm
I wouldn't want to use that as a cue: "pulling into the ground with your feet." For me, I want to drive the hammer down and then quickly "catch" it over my right side. If I'm "pulling" myself into the ground, it makes it really difficult to catch the hammer early; there's a good chance it's going to pass you by awful quick.

They will take time; as in, weeks of throwing. Be careful that you aren't falling into the trap of thinking you'll suddenly PR by 10 feet the first day you use them. You won't (if you do though, that's totally cool). There's a good chance you'll actually decrease in distance. That's ok! Throw, throw, throw in them and you'll see why they're so helpful. 

Best of luck to you! Hope you throw some bombs this season! 
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/15 at 9:30pm
I started blading up last year in june and saw a drop in disrance. Almost gave up on them then the prs came and are still coming. I always have my blades on.
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/15 at 3:00pm
I made forced myself to transition mid-season, last year. My numbers never dropped. Keep at it.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/15 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

I've never heard the "pulling on the ground" thing but I suppose that is result of using them properly. 

Some people really like to dig in down into the ground so their feet are at more of an angle and some like to slide theirs in just under the surface but with enough bite to anchor you in. Either way you use them to make sure your feet don't leave the ground while you wind and counter. 

Either way, I agree with Dan and Matt to start using right away because if you don't you get comfortable with not using them and that puts you out of position. Just give em a go and see how it feels!
I agree it is better to train with the blades so you throw with the blades, but I say it is a good idea to throw without blades a bit too, since there are some games(Enumclaw and Tacoma for example) where you are unable to use blades.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/07/15 at 11:53am
I always wore blades when I was working directly on the hammer throw. But I also did a wide variety of hammer drills without blades. Both were important to me. YMMV.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/15 at 4:50pm
Where do you get blades?
Larry J Readman
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/15 at 5:44pm
DIY. Few guys make them for sale. Only one I've seen advertise is Patrick MacNemee(sp) go to scottish masters FB page. He's on their for 65 bucks. They look real durable and nice. Larry Brock used to make them. I think you could make them yourself from some home Depot stock steel(i did years ago and I am a spaz in the workroom)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/15 at 5:52pm
PM sent for your consideration Larry.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/15 at 5:58am
Thanks for the information Tom. I haven't decided wether
I want to use them yet? Thanks!
Larry J Readman
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 4:53am
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/16 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by LJRed LJRed wrote:

Where do you get blades?

These are a little cheaper but not quite as heavy.
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/16 at 8:55pm
PM Me if you're interested. I make them, along with implements. I don't do a lot of them, but I have the steel and can do them in the next couple of days. They're made from 1.75" wide x 1/4" thick steel. 
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic