Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

In season training

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In season training
    Posted: 6/26/15 at 10:17am
Should I cut back in the gym and throw more coming towards competition time? If anyone has any examples of games prep and any advice at all I would greatly appreciate it. Ps . I'm 5wks out From first games in 5yrs.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/15 at 1:33pm
Every athlete is different in their beliefs,recoverability,GPP,personal preference...what works for one athlete might be detrimental to another!...look thru all the top athletes logs and get some ideas,then take what you learned and apply to your personal situation...
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/15 at 4:04pm
General rule that vie seen. Last heavy squat workout 10-14 days out..last heavy push( push press or bp) 7 days out. Maybe light speed(rfd). 5 days out..some guys taper throwing heavy stuff stopped 6 days out but once again way to many variables to give you a cookie cutter program. What did u do 5 yrs ago and what were your results?
JUST BRING IT /

Kilted Celt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/15 at 9:55pm
I'm from Ireland, standards weren't very high back then. I won the novice Ireland highland games, and finished runner up in the senior All Ireland series. Strongman would 've been my main sport back then so throwing was a bit of fun. Injury plagued I retired from Strongman shows and took an extended break from throwing. I started throwing again this year and have got the bug to compete again more seriously. I blew my knee out 8wks ago in work, it's coming right but playing a bit of catch up on throws.
I'm really just wondering should I cut back the gym to 2 days of bread and butter lifts and plyometrics, do 3 days of throwing and 1 additional day of drills and light work for form.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/15 at 7:13am
Best bet imo at this point. Read Matt Vincents throwing lab(available as ebook/so you can get it asap) and modify to your level
JUST BRING IT /

AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/15 at 5:07am
Just my opinion - With your recent injury and games just a short time out, I would be really focusing on the throws and technique.  You can certainly squeeze a couple of light and fast weight workouts in between each week to keep you in the groove.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/01/15 at 10:12am
If you're anything like me, you lose your momentum and drive if you stop. Best to keep a routine, even if it is greatly reduced.

I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic