FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Willie says ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Willie says ...
    Posted: 7/21/15 at 8:44am

When it comes to your success with the hoes, it all depends on your technique and timing.

Plus, when you're looking for a good hoe keep in mind that you want one that's light and strong.

Anyway, most of the divots in the field can all be smoothed out with a little work on a rainy day, and here's what I noticed while working the grounds on a wet Sunday past. 

As far as technique tips, I'd offer that you use both the pointed corner and the flat part of the blade and hit the divots with the idea that its the soil compression that you're trying to undo at the impact site of a big weight divot. The heavy square weights cause a much different divot than the round ball of the hammers and therefore the technique is a bit different. The divot by square weights often can be smoothed by using the corner and blade while walking all the way the divot to work the edges by repeatedly striking to loosen and fill hole. On the other hand, the hammer divots often only need a few strikes on the down field side of the rounded hole to loosen and fill the hole.

The caber toss divots as also an easier fix than the square weight divots and require a bit somewhere between the two techniques mentioned above.

Divots at the WOB standards are difficult and long lasting. I've tried filling in the divots with loose topsoil in the past but again its the soil compaction that changes the ground surface most and its only going to loosen up if it a silty clay topsoil like we have in the Midwest with a little work. After a few years of WOB in the same location we had some long lasting divots. But with the good soaking of the overnight rains, and a strong hoe and a bit of a hangover, I was able to loosen up much of the hard pack.

The hammer cages help create different set of divots but they are also easily loosened and holes filled with a good hoe.

So take care of the field when you get a good rain and good luck in your training,

-K  

plockton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plockton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/15 at 10:44am
training? what's training?

it's too hot down here anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic