Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Smartnesses and Ugly Troofs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Smartnesses and Ugly Troofs
    Posted: 8/10/15 at 11:04am
Reading the logs on here is a double edged sword. Especially for anyone "up and coming" that reads the training some of the top guys are doing or for those looking to find an edge.

That being said, here's some stuff from a guy who went nowhere near the top of anything except a table in the beer tent:

1) Unless you are all fast twitch, do not drop to "speed only" in season.

2) You are going to die with the same number of fast twitch fibers you were born with. So speed work? Whatever. Just keep throwing. And lift with effort and purpose.

3) If you were a meathead when you started, KEEP BEING A MEATHEAD. It's your only leg up.

4) Find "your" lift(s). That 1-3 lifts that tell you when you're strong. You know what they are. Stop the other shit.

5) When it comes to training, you really ARE a special and unique snowflake. Craig was INJURED when he did Zerchers. He was just trying to stay strong! It wasn't the exercise! It was the loading! Stop copying what other people do!

6) Stop hurting yourself trying to stay "in shape". Morons. 250# guys shouldn't jump or jog. Hill runs and sled work. North of Vag is good. Conditioning is good. But do it like a strength athlete.

7) If someone says "You look athletic", they really mean "dainty" or "If we were in prison, we'd be dating."

8) If 7) applies, add more bodybuilding and eat more. Don't be afraid to chase "the pump". That stuff is armor.

9) When looking at programs or workouts, steal what works, discard the rest.

10) Leave your ego at home. Use lifting aids if they prevent damage. Don't go for maxes when your body is telling you it's a bad idea. Don't get into internet challenges. The gym is your place of building and just dropping a bigger motor in. Don't make it like trying to win warmups.

I'm sure there will be more.

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/15 at 1:47pm
11) Throwing IS lifting. Do more of it.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:47pm
I guess number 6 was me, but my calf is feeling better, hahahaha.  A lot of right in that list.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 10:44am
#2 and #6 really bug me.

#2) I won't disagree with regards to the # of fast twitch fibers you have, however, I don't agree with skipping speed work. Outside of the dreadfully obvious, speed work is a staple for Westside which has produced several elite athletes. Speed work works imo. There needs to be proper application as well. Without a means to measure speed work, it's pretty useless as I see every dandy on the planet post their 315 bench as speed work. Unless you're a 600lb bencher, 315 isn't going to be speed work. I don't see how training to stand up or press a weight fast would possibly hurt you throwing. I think there's something to be said for moving submax weights faster.

#6) I was jumping, jogging and running a lot last year. My knees felt better, my conditioning improved and my recovery from training was faster. With that being said, a bigger guy can't just jump right into running miles on end. I don't see a problem starting with 400m shuttles/jogs into 800s and more. As much as they suck, finishing 4 or 5 rounds of 400s, or 3 rounds of 800s makes you feel amazing (once you're conditioned to it which could take a few months).
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 11:36am
I would tend to agree with sully on this one, but with the caveat that you can't move like crap. Just like bad squats will hurt your knees and bad DLs will hurt your back, bad running and jumping will wreck you. And most people's jumping and running form is terrible, relying on postural, passive joint positions to stabilize the impact. That said if you run/jump well I think the conditioning aspect and the ability to handle your body with speed and impact as factors(relative strength) plays big dividends to any athlete(jumps to throwers specifically). Now everyone is different, and there are many ways to skin a cat, but I know for me personally, I have had both of my ACLs reconstructed with a majority of my cartilage removed as well, over 6 years ago. I do lots of jumping and running and my knees dont bother me. But I also pay alot of attention to making sure I move well. Now if I could keep from dislocating elbows and tearing biceps I would be golden haha.(note to self: see number 8)     
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 11:56am
1. Agreed. Speed only stuff killed me at the end of last season. Strong is where its at.

2. Debatable.

3. If you were an Athlete when you started, KEEP BEING AN ATHLETE. It's your only leg up.

4. Word

5. Craig Strong

6. Depends on the person IMO. We are not all from the same cookie cutter.

7. I lol'd at this.

8. Yes

9 & 10. These are really smart.

11. Carlos is right
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 1:29pm
I will add, Sully, that if you are lifting with purpose, your submax work WILL be speed work. But see #1. If you're ONLY doing that without venturing into the ME style work (a la westside), it isn't going to help you.

Neither will cleans, snatches, jerks, etc.

If you've always done that stuff, no worries. Its just part of YOUR work. Learning the olifts for the sake of throwing further? The risk/reward curve doesn't pay that much, honestly. Modified versions? I can be convinced.

But you still can't convince me they're necessary.

And that's coming from a guy who's used them for 15 years.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 1:42pm
Nice list Sean.  Don't really disagree with anything you said.

I really think that people tend to overthink their training.  It's not rocket appliances.  You can do just about anything to get strong.  Just stick with it. 

Also, people tend to 'forget' why they do speed training.  It's not to throw further.  That's what practice is for.  It's to build explosive strength.  Plenty of ways to do that without Olympic lifting.  I don't oly lift and I don't like them.  But I'm pretty explosive.

I still remember my first strongman contest.  I was a powerlifter; WSB training.  They had a keg toss for max height.  I won the event.  Shannon Harnett was there and she said I had some crazy explosiveness.  I'd say she knows a thing or two about that.  And that was from only box squatting.

I could go on but I'll end with saying something about skinning a cat...
www.sportkilt.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 5:26pm
God, Sean.  There's so much more here, too.  

-The gym is for durability.  It won't help you directly on the field.  Stop trying to make it so. 
-When it comes to training, hero worship only makes you into a human sacrifice.
-If you can't get stronger on one workout a week, yes one workout a week, you are doing it wrong.
-Doing 80% keeps you at 90%.  Doing 90% once in a while keeps you at 100%  
-Speed training is slow.  Speed training is slow. Speed training is slow.  
-Conditioning is great, but the body can only heal a certain amount.  Keep the high impact stuff for the off-season.  Don't tell me about the health benefits when you are fighting constant inflammation.
-Listen when people you trust are telling you "NO!"  I mean, I'm a test-pilot for bad ideas, but I can think of a dozen pieces of advice I've taken, and a million more I've stolen.

...Josh
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/15 at 4:39pm
So much good from Sean and CHAD in this post. Can we sticky this sucker?
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 12:47pm
Recovery > Intensity > Volume

Best thing I ever said.
...Josh
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

Recovery > Intensity > Volume

Best thing I ever said.

^^^
Pure wisdom right there
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic