FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Light weight division and weigh in's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/15 at 10:19am
1+ Carlos! That is the best explanation of the Lightweight circus....   
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/15 at 10:23am
I have 2 kilts that size I will sell cheep 20 bucks ea.
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/15 at 1:57pm
Quote Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the lightweight abomination?

This sentence, right here, is going to have me laughing all day.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/15 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

First and foremost, the tradition in the Highland Games is that the 'heavy events' were for heavies. I've never seen a specific designation of what exact weight that means. Franklly I think it doesn't mean anything other than 'this group of events is best suited to the larger athlete'. Simple enough. Elegant. I like it. They also have the 'lightweight events' like running, jumping, cycling, etc. Again, no specific designation of what that means beyond the fact that perhaps those events are more suited to lighter athletes. Anyone can choose to participate in any of the events. It's a beautiful thing and the simplicity has survived for centuries.

I like the logical argument.  However, "Heavy" did not refer to heavy weights thrown and it has nothing to do with the weight of the people doing it.  I have yet to find a definitive definition for "Heavy Athletics".   However, by activities referred as Heavy Athletics around the turn of last century and earlier, it seems to refer to the strenuousness of the activity more that the size or weight involved in the activity. 

There are plenty of references in google books from the turn of the last century; I will include this one as I find it humorous:

Heavy Athletics.

The college strong man often dies in middle life. The long-distance runner, the great-chested rower, the prize fighter, usually dies young, frequently from tuberculosis or some other disease associated with lowered resistance. Heavy athletics are pernicious. They have no place in hygienic exercise. The after effects of severe exertion are harmful. An enlarged heart is not a safe organ; a greatly increased lung capacity is not only useless but dangerous in later life.

Barring heavy athletics, youth may be given a free choice of practically all games and forms of amusement. A warning should be sounded for the man past middle age who might attempt to adopt some of the strenuous games more suited to youth, but in general such risks are infinitely less than the opposite mistake—that of taking no exercise.

Source: Public Health Reports: Supplement Issue 24 of Supplement ... to the Public Health Reports, United States. Public Health Service,  United States. Public Health Service,  U.S. Government Printing Office, 1918

Long-distance runner would be considered "Light" Athletics now.  Would rowers be considered Heavy Athletics now? ...  Boxing and Indian Clubs and many other physical activities were consider "Heavy" by other sources in late 1800s and early 1900s, some of which would probably not fit into a modern interpretation of "Heavy Athletics" . 

Sorry ladies, "basketball" is listed as a heavy activity for you in 1904 report to President of Stanford U.. In the same book, rowing and "track" was considered heavy for men.  Also, early "Heavy Athletics" highland Champions also Excelled in "Light Athletics".  I doubt they were hulking behemoths.

I draw the conclusion that the definition of "Heavy Athletics" has changed since first used.  I try avoiding using the modern interpretation of "Heavy Athletics" in historical arguments.  

Despite all of the above, great logical argument!

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic