Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Newbie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

1st Crossfit, now 5-3-1, next Highland Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melnick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Crossfit, now 5-3-1, next Highland Games
    Posted: 10/14/15 at 9:07am
Hello Everyone.

I have spent over the last two years training using crossfit and olympic lifting to become athletic and stronger. I did bodybuilding when I was a young adult and have a background with sports growing up. After losing nearly 80lbs using crossfit and building a strong base with good mobility I am looking for something to work at as a goal. I love strength. I know that strongman and powerlifting are awesome, however I want something that will always be and have been "natural". I have spent a lot of time listening and following Matt Vincent and his adventures and have gained a HUGE amount of respect and enthusiasm for the Games. With my wife being from England and my household embracing the culture and its history I think this would be a great goal and focus for my training on top of being something my whole family can have fun with and celebrate.
I have started my strength training for the winter and am looking to start tossing a few of the elements before winter lands. I have found some stones, not exactly hard to find, and will throw a bit with those before snow. Couple questions though to this group.

1. How early can I register for Games and do I just contact the directors who put them on?
2. Any tips or advice on making my own 56 pound weight, or does anyone know where I can get the specs to make one.
3. I am looking at the Durham games in Uxbridge and the Cobourg games, (my old hometown) to try for next year.
4. I am in Bowmanville and is there anyone in the area who practices occasionally or are willing to share some knowledge to someone starting out.
5. Thanks for all those competing and organising the games still today, what an awesome tradition I hope to celebrate a little with my family and carry on.

That's all for now,
Adam

If it was easy everyone would do be doing it
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 9:23am
Welcome!
The man in the arena.
Melnick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Melnick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 9:31am
Thanks for the welcome. 

I have to admit I am super stoked about having a new goal and on that has so much room for growth, practice and fun!
Adam

rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 9:49am
Are you on Facebook?  If you are, I really recommend going on and joining the CSAF page (Canadian Scottish Athletic Associate).  Website is csaf.ca

Some tips/advice:

1) From where you are at, there are a handful of Canadian and US (Michigan, Upstate NY) games that you can shoot for.  

2) Best bet for registration is to contact the AD.  Usually their contact info is on the Games website.  If not, that is why FB is handy as you can usually find out relevant info there.  Berle Conrad and/or Jen Paterson would be the people in Ontario I would try to get a hold of.

3) Regarding weights, I think all on here would recommend just buying one.  Unless you are a welder, homemade weights just don't hold up.  You can contact Mike Landrich (Landrich Power Systems on FB) who is near Buffalo.  You could probably just go pick it up to save on shipping.

Hope this helps.
www.sportkilt.com
Melnick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melnick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 11:59am
Thanks Rob, 

I will get on that with Facebook. 

I do have access to welders and such. They made a squat stand for me this summer custom for my garage. If I am right the weight is 56 lbs and th chain to the furthest tip of the handle is no longer than 18"?

Thanks for all the information! 

Adam

rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 1:20pm
Yep, we throw both a 56# and 28# weight.  And yes, the length of the implement cannot be longer than 18".  Make sure the chain/handle is removable (with a shackle or something) so you can shorten it to use as a weight over bar implement.
www.sportkilt.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 1:36pm
Welcome and good luck!

Hard to go wrong with 5-3-1.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic