Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Organizing a Highland Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Organizing a Highland Games
    Posted: 4/12/16 at 1:30pm
I am running a Celtic Festival in September in Central NJ. I would like to try to incorporate some type of Highland Games or a Highland Games demonstration at this Celtic Fest but I have no idea how or where to begin. I have never competed in Highland Games and I don't have the equipment. So, obviously I am starting at absolute zero. Can anybody point me in the right direction. Thank you. Question
Chris - American Highlander Kilts
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/16 at 5:25pm
Hello Chris,

I held my first game back in 2010.  First I will give you a list of the bare bones of supplies needed:

Tents for the announcer(s)
PA system for announcer(s)
Chairs for announcers, score keepers
Waivers for participation
Score sheets
Pens
Clipboards

Standards for height events
Trig Board (have more than one)
Spray paint
Duct Tape
Extra shackles
Cloth measuring tapes (height events, stone pit, WFD, Hammers)
Poles for measuring (I like ski poles)

Volunteers for shagging weights (I have the athletes do this mostly), tape runners (I do not like having the athletes do this for each other; dicey), score keepers, master score keeper so folks do not have to wait forever as they drive a distance to throw.

Implements:
Heavy and Light Hammer (watch which classes you contest as they use different ones)
Heavy and Light WFD (watch which classes you contest as they use different ones)
Braemar and Open stones (watch which classes you contest as they use different ones)
Cabers (watch which classes you contest as they use different ones; have extra as they break)

Awards given to 1st-3rd place in each class

Insurance!!!

Provide game shirts, water, gatorades, I also supply lunch for the athletes.  We graze as to stopping the action.  YMMV.

Athletes bring their own canopies
Athletes bring their own chairs

More information when I get back from dinner with the family.
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
cabeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/16 at 6:32pm
Jason:

That information is awesome. Thank you. I never would have thought of half of those things.

I found a place for sheafs so far but not for the rest of the items, stones, cabers, hammers, wfd etc.
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/16 at 9:36pm
whats your city and date?
if its close enough i'll take care of everything, you'll just have to supply beers and groupies.

jammin on the one.
cabeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/16 at 9:52am
Thank you for your response.

West Windsor, NJ on Saturday, September 10

My email address is cab@americanhighlander.com

Where are you located? West Windsor is in Central NJ, just north of Trenton. We have a great location with plenty of green space, bathrooms, and other facilities.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/16 at 7:58pm
Part 2

I started off small with only twelve picked athletes that I knew played well together and played well to the crowd.  Since the game was held in a town without a Scottish or strong Celtic community I tried contacting folks like the Hibernians (sp) to no avail.  Managed to get a few vendors and great location to throw (by the local sportsplex with lots of local traffic).

Now in my seventh year we are the second largest game in the state.  Still not tied to festival but this year we were asked to come along with a air show that brings in 8-10,000 spectators for the weekend.  Still trying to get vendors from the other games/gatherings that I throw at but that is no longer my aim.

I aim to put on the best game I can for the throwers.  The other stuff I hope will shack itself out.

FWIW I was told by another thrower/organizer of his own game that I should forget it.  Many times I have thought the same thing but haven't yet.  Good luck.

Miscellaneous:

Advertising.  Local papers, radio, contact the local tourism bureau, chamber of commerce.

Port-a-johns.  Have them close to the field.  The Masters hate having to walk the country mile to get there.

If you can throw all nine events.  Most games do not so that is a draw for fellas looking to score points on NASGA or the SGL circuit or maybe qualify for big games like ones in Minnesota or Pleasenton.  ALWAYS keep on eye on safety.  Watch your vectors and event line up so as to reduce chances of someone getting smucked.

Gerry Reynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/16 at 6:04am
I have emailed you
Gerry
Inverness Highland Games
City of Inverness (Scotland) Highland Games Secretary July 1999 - present.
cabeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/16 at 8:12am
Jason:

Thanks for info. Very helpful.
Highlandspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highlandspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:49am
I am also looking to put on a highland games in our local community for 2017. I am originally from Scotland but now live in Truro Nova Scotia. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you Jason for the list, that has been most helpful.   We are looking to do the ancient heavyweights, tug of war, kilted run, kids events, dog events, highland dancers, craft show, clan tents, and a ceilidh dance in the evening. No mean feat.
My email is thescotsns@gmail.com
Highland Spirit
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/16 at 9:39am
Good luck!  Would love to visit Nova Scotia.  If there is anything I can do to help you let me know.

Jase
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Highlandspirit Highlandspirit wrote:

I am also looking to put on a highland games in our local community for 2017. I am originally from Scotland but now live in Truro Nova Scotia. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you Jason for the list, that has been most helpful.   We are looking to do the ancient heavyweights, tug of war, kilted run, kids events, dog events, highland dancers, craft show, clan tents, and a ceilidh dance in the evening. No mean feat.

Lots of great games in the Maritimes.  I'd suggest you get out to them this season (if you've never been) and meet the major players.  First games is June 4 in Perth-Andover, NB.  Moncton highland games are June 18 if you are looking for something a bit closer.  I'd go to the CSAF page on Facebook for more info.
www.sportkilt.com
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/16 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Highlandspirit Highlandspirit wrote:

There is a huge Scottish community in NS (as you are likely aware) and the east coast in general.

Your best bet would be to get on Facebook and post on the CSAF (Canadian Scottish Athletics Federation) page (as in Rob's post above which I somehow missed). 

Danny Frame is the current CSAF president (I think- I am guilty of not paying much attention), Greg Hadley, Matt Doherty and Dirk Bishop (From NB- the Perth-Andover Games are his backyard) are all Maritimers who would likely lend a hand in getting started. 
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/16 at 12:58pm
A VonGuinness-flavored event in NJ. That sounds like a clear plan for awesome!
Highlandspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highlandspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/16 at 3:17am
Thanks for your posts.
I took part in the Callander World Highland Games in Scotland for 4 years as a historic re-enactor! So have no idea about how to run this thing - really! Just finding out things as I go along.
I already have my heavyweights lined up, location & hopefully volunteers, am being helped immensely by the Secretary of the Luss Highland Games, Loch Lomond, Scotland and now just need to know all the little (& BIG) things that you don't think of. I'm used to organizing Scottish Burns Supper events and craft fairs. This is my biggest undertaking yet, doing it as part of the Colchester Scots. www.thescotsns.com
Highland Spirit
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 7:28am
What is the status of the Windsor game? And also, the official name of the festival? So I can add it to the map!  Is this the Mercer Irish Fest?
cabeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/16 at 9:43am
Jeremy:

The Highland Games are part of Kilt Fest. The url is kiltfestnj.com. The website is down today for updates but it will be up again tonight. The Mercer Irish Fest was cancelled this year and we took over the date for Kilt Fest. Thank you for your interest and follow up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic