Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Have hammer head...now what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_McCraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have hammer head...now what?
    Posted: 11/14/16 at 12:09am
Hey guys, recently bought a hammer head from highland advantage but feel like I am missing something.   What is the best way to mount hammer heads on a pvc handle?   Any suggestions would be appreciated.   
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/16 at 6:44am
The hole going through the hammer head should be funnel shaped so all you need is (I think this is accurate) Schedule 80 PVC pipes. They are grey and have a wider end (for plumbing shit I'm sure) but it also nestles into the funnel shape nicely allowing the thin end to go through the small opening and the wide end wedges into the wider end. 

If your hammer head isn't funnel shaped, Well you need to do it old school with a medal wedge and rattan. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/16 at 9:36am
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

The hole going through the hammer head should be funnel shaped so all you need is (I think this is accurate) Schedule 80 PVC pipes. They are grey and have a wider end (for plumbing shit I'm sure) but it also nestles into the funnel shape nicely allowing the thin end to go through the small opening and the wide end wedges into the wider end. 

If your hammer head isn't funnel shaped, Well you need to do it old school with a medal wedge and rattan. 

How heavy is your hammer head--16# or 22#?

Sched 80 (gray) PVC has thicker walls and is used by Old Celt for his PVC handles, but I haven't been able to find bell-end (funnel-shaped as described above) Sched 80 PVC, only Sched 40.  He provides instructions on how to create a wedge and use a torch to soften and remold the Sched 80 to fit the hammer head. Or he sells them on his web site. 

Sched 40 is often used for training because it's readily available at Home Depot, Menard's, Lowe's and other larger home improvement retailers.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/16 at 11:41am
Thaaaaaat's probably what I meant! whoops!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/16 at 4:20pm
Yes SCH 40 is what you want. If the hole in the hammer head is smaller than the bell on the PVC then just slide the hammer head starting on the small end of the PVC until it get's to the bell and just tap the end of the hammer on something solid until the bell is firmly seated and done. 
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/16 at 10:04pm
SCH80 with the flange end is often available in the electrical conduit section FWIW.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
hoss1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoss1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/16 at 1:08pm
i just add a bit of gorilla tape at the end of the plastic and the weight butts up against the tape.
Dirk W. Myers
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/16 at 6:19pm
What Tom said. Electrical conduit schedule 80 is in electrical area. 10' pipe should be around $2-3. I bought like 8 last time and just cut them all to length to have extra handles on hand just in case. FWIW for my Landrich hammer heads that have funnel shape hole in the hammer head.
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/16 at 9:48pm
Chuck Livingston from Highland Advantage's hammers have a similar stepped sleeve. The head simply catches on the bell end of the PVC. 
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic