Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Any good throwing field stories?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any good throwing field stories?
    Posted: 10/15/18 at 8:08am
Being part of a fringe sport and a sport that tends to destroy nice field surfaces, we as HG athletes are persona non grata at many of the nicer fields in our town. As a result we often have to throw in some seedier places in town. For me personally, at the parks I have to use, I have witnessed multiple drug deals, acts of prostitution, domestic arguments,homosexual trysts and various other acts of sleaze. Not to mention that there have been murders at a few of the places I throw at. Does anyone here care to entertain us with dubious tales from the fields they practice at?
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/18 at 8:44am
I throw under transmission lines, which probably unconsciously keeps my hammer release angle a little low.  Its between the abandon Walmart and the abandoned Sears.  I suspect the only murder might be my own, its pretty desolate
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/18 at 10:30am
I have my own practice field, so nothing criminal or dangerous like that; however:
  1. I have to watch out for yellow jackets building underground nests in hammer divots.  Then on the next hammer day you end up trying to run from a boiling swarm of devil bees while wearing hammer boots.
  2. Once some large wild animal was stalking through the woods and growling on the edge of where I was practicing sheaf.  Was I worried?  No, I was jacked up on testosterone and holding a pitchfork.  Bring it.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/18 at 12:13pm
Myself,my wife,the MWR,and 2 others used to use this huge field in a state park about 5 miles from our hometown. The MWR did a short stint as NYS park police and knew the ground crew so being the park wasn't really used anymore they let us throw on the big field. Well one fall day we went to throw and the ground was super saturated from a 2 day rain., we throw off the parking lot into the grass it was so wet. Well 5 athletes throwing 2 stones,2 weights,and 1 hammered for the session left over 50 deep,cavernous holes in the ground. Fast forward about 5 days after a 3 day early fall freeze-we show up to the field. First thing that catches our attention are 10 school buses,then behind the school buses are a group of ambulances and few police cars. We wander over to see what is going on and see the EMS ambulance workers dealing with about 15 athletes laying on the floor,in pain. Walk over to a cop we know and ask what's going on-he says West Point Military was having a cross country meet with a few colleges and the start of the race was thru the field into the woods and apparently the pack was running thru the field when they encountered huge holes which they tripped and fell and about 25 went down..15 stayed down. They couldn't figure out what had caused these huge,deep holes..we slowly sauntered back to our cars feeling guilty and quickly left. A week later we showed back up and the ground crew told us we were no longer welcome to throw at the field. Oh well we had a few year run
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Pogany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/18 at 7:21pm
First couple of years I ran the Rhode Island  games they were at the Westerly High school .... third year they moved to the county fair grounds .... ran into the town foreman who said we destroyed  the high school soccer field so bad it was unusable for the next season ..... not a happy guy
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/18 at 11:02pm
Not a practice story, but I remember competing in Inverness in 2007.  They had people running around  with little tools to lift and level the divots back up after each group.  The next day was a big shinty match on the same field and they did not want the divots to mess up the players' day.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/18 at 8:59am
I've been kicked out of multiple fields...

well the first wasn't really kicked out, but it was a multiuse field in my neighborhood and they decided they wanted to put in irrigation. Well one of the irrigation heads was smack in the middle of my hwfd and stone landing zones. I was not trying to end up responsible for that..

2nd field was an empty field in a business park. Used this for quite some time with no problem. Ground was hard as a rock btw. One day property owner was out there and asked me to not throw there any more as I was damaging the ground. (still nothing built there to this day). I asked him if I was that much problem as people would do donuts in the field and throw garbage everywhere that I would pickup to clean up my throwing area. Still didn't want me there.

3rd field I can still use, but it's at a school. I got the security guard sent to talk to me one day (during school)...they didn't want me to use the throwing practice field during school hours...when all the kids are in classrooms. I am even kind of secluded.

Same field, throwing one evening and a bunch or church kids on the playground watching me throw hammer. I lose one WAY early and it goes DEEP into the woods (like a 15 minute search cuz its at dusk too). As the hammer flies into the woods, one of these kids yells "that was a really bad throw". I have it on camera. Classic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic