Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Grip strength

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grip strength
    Posted: 11/28/18 at 7:48am
I'm looking for some ways to improve grip strength, and was wondering if anyone can recommend some good exercises or homemade equipment?
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/18 at 11:00am
DB farmer carries are good if you have access to heavy ones.  

Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

I'm looking for some ways to improve grip strength, and was wondering if anyone can recommend some good exercises or homemade equipment?
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/18 at 11:48am
I don't but I can Mickey Mouse something.
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/18 at 3:05pm
Buy some Fat Gripz and use them on everything. And any time you are deadlifting, work up as heavy as you can with a double overhand grip before changing to a stronger grip. 
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/18 at 5:12pm
Are you interested in grip training to increase your grip on the hammers, or something else entirely? If so, the thick grips aren't the most efficient way to go about it. Vertical bar training would be the best if your emphasis is on grip strengthening specifically for holding onto the hammer handle.   

http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/18 at 10:28am
I do want to improve strength in the hammer, but my main concern is in WFD and WOB.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/18 at 2:44pm
1)  It's much more likely a timing issue (as opposed to a grip issue) if you're losing the weight in WOB or WFD.  Fix that first imo. 

b)  Use a hook grip.  99% of highland game athletes who've actually thrown far, grip this way. 
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/18 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

1)  It's much more likely a timing issue (as opposed to a grip issue) if you're losing the weight in WOB or WFD.  Fix that first imo. 

b)  Use a hook grip.  99% of highland game athletes who've actually thrown far, grip this way. 

This^ is really it. I hook grip weights and wob. 

My first comment was more specific to grip training in general.

As for grip strength in the hammer, use tacky. That allows you to have a grip on the handle while actually relaxing your grip and not tensing up your upper body. When you can relax your grip and arms due to tacky, you can lengthen your orbit on the hammer, which will help you throw it farther than any grip training will with the hammer. If you want to get batter in the hammer, throw the hammer more. That's also about as specific grip training you can get for that!
Grudaire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grudaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/19 at 9:45am
Finger rolls and wrist curls. Using a straight bar, kneel with your forearms lying perpendicular across a bench. Do ten wrist curls then immediately ten finger rolls. Usually a lifter can handle higher weight on the finger rolls. Four or five sets per session ought to do it. Pinch grip two forty five pound plates and walkabout. Ironmind Enterprises have a bunch of gadgets for going even further. 
The cabar wasn't too big, you weren't strong enough.
TedSchwab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedSchwab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/19 at 9:14am
I currently use one of those handgrip things, but I'd be interested in learning more about improving grip strength. What about just carrying every heavy rock you can find when it's raining out?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic