Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Database
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Extra throws - recorded or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extra throws - recorded or not?
    Posted: 10/10/05 at 6:40am

When entering scores in the database (nasga), is it correct to enter the highest throw that may have been made during extra attempts?  I have heard both ways.  I have also read the SAAA, RMSA, and NASGA rules and all it says for height as well as distance events are "Extra throws shall not be used in determining points with regard to a decathalon scoring system".  What if you are using the point system?

Thank you,

Lori Henderson

Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/05 at 7:08am
If you're using the point system, the winner of the event gets best points (low or high) anyway, so the extra throws won't affect that.  I believe Kurt has said in the past that NASGA results should reflect the best throws, including extras made within the traditional three-or-less rule.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/07 at 4:59am

This was a topic that came up a couple weeks back at a small games where the winner was taking extra throws.

Clearly before the new decathlon ranking system was used, the best distance was entered whether it was from in-competition-throws or extra-throws was entered.

I believe the answer is still the same under the new system:

We should continue to enter the best throw which may include distances from extra throws.  

However, there is some doubt since NASGA rankings have moved towards a Decathlon scoring system which as Lori point out in her above post:

"Extra throws shall not be used in determining points with regard to a decathlon scoring system"

I can see two justifications to include extra throws:
(1) this is used to rank and not determine the winner of an individual games

(2) to make prior years rankings backwards compatible with the current year, extra throws should be entered since they are included in prior years data

Countering those points is that the extra throws have been traditionally excluded from Decathlon Scoring.

Could someone please confirm that the best throw which may include distances from extra throws is what should be entered into the database?

Thanks

Edited by McSanta
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
wallyworld View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/07 at 4:42pm
Quote Could someone please confirm that the best throw which may include distances from extra throws is what should be entered into the database?

OK, it is so confirmed!  How else is a person gonna' get credit for an exceptional throw?
"TRY NOT. DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO 'TRY'."   Yoda
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/07 at 2:08am

The extra throw should be entered into the database.  This is a flaw with the new rankings system.

I will be taking a poll in the near future to decide how to do the rankings from now on.  I have a feeling the old rankings system was much more accepted.

-Admin
Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/07 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by admin admin wrote:

I have a feeling the old rankings system was much more accepted.

Not a BIG fan of the New ranking.... Just my .02. I like the Old

MacD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/07 at 1:46pm
I like the old too.  There's a ton of caber scores that were entered incorrectly (1, 2, 3, etc. instead of 12:00, 12:15, etc) that is throwing quite a few scores off.. at least in the women's rankings. 

Edited by MacD
F*%#'in SHEAF!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/07 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by MacD MacD wrote:

There's a ton of caber scores that were entered incorrectly....

lf you know that they're wrong, then why don't you,   A. contact the person who entered the scores and school them on the proper way to do it or,  B. just correct the numbers yourself? 

l know, its not as easy as just pointing out someone else's shortcomings!

admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/07 at 5:37am

I agree.  If we go back to old system, I am going to prevent this by forcing scores to be entered.

-Admin
Snider View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/07 at 6:04am

I agree.  If we go back to old system, I am going to prevent this by forcing scores to be entered.

As hapy said and I will say it.... If nobody wants to post the scores send them to me I will do it..to help out

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallyworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/07 at 10:52pm

I will be taking a poll in the near future to decide how to do the rankings from now on.  I have a feeling the old rankings system was much more accepted.

Well, l for one like the new ranking system.  There's no point in throwing out the new (present) system because a few people can't figure out how to enter scores.  l'm thinking that they'd have the same problem with the old system!!

The one thing that l do not like about the new system is that athletes don't show up 'til they have three Games under their belt.  l'd like to see them show up right away.
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/07 at 4:01am
I was thinking that a combination of the two systems might work well.

Use the OS, HWFD, HH, and WOB, and then use the 5th variable which is
the average for the game. This way there is still weight for consistent
good throwing, but not the huge punishment the new system has for a
missing score or throwing sick or injured.

You could even play with the relative weight so that the average could be
50% of the score, or 20% as above.

Finally, I think the caber should be scored based on placement - 1000 for
first, 900 for 2nd, etc. Since there is too much variability in the sticks - if
someone wins the competition with a 9:00 throw on a huge stick - they
deserve the 1000 pts, by the same token a games which uses a toothpick
where everyone gets 12:00 shouldn't boost your rankings.

Just my opinion, I am glad we have rankings at all.
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic